PDA

View Full Version : new atc 110 owner spark issues

shawn5062
10-17-2014, 09:27 PM
So ive been reading over the site, its great ive loved three wheeler since i was a kid and im getting back in, I traded a mower for a 1980 honda 110 its got the old coil and condenser made together with points heres what happened when i got it i went thru the electrical system the previous owner had everything wired backwards from the kill sitch to the stator to the coil to the points so i rewired everything pulled the cord and it fired right up after apparently sitting for 6 months or longer. where i messed up is and i know it was a stupid idea i grabbed the second wire coming off the stator for the headlights and tryed to plug it up dropped it it grounded the atc shutoff and hasnt crunk since My question is did it fry the coil or what? The plug still fires when held against the block but nowhere near how it fired before this happened so im thinking the coils good because generaly the coil goes it goes. Im getting fire to th coil from the stator with a test light i dont have an ohms meter to tell u the amps. So its got me thinking the condenser. I thought maybe up the amp by wiring both stator wires to the coil nothing stil the same ive adjusted the points checked all the wiring everything short off a full timing check and checking the valves and all that. Has anyone else done anything like this? trying to rule things out before i buy a coil, points, and a stator. Ive also cleaned the stator, grounds, points and everything.

YTZ drew
10-19-2014, 10:02 AM
Welcome aboard! For starters, you can't connect the lighting coil to the source coil, they are both AC outputs that are out of phase with each other, so basically its a short circuit if you do that. I would replace the condenser, clean and regap the points, and you'll probably be good. I have had too many 30+ year old condensers kick my butt, so I don't even think twice about them now, I just change them. The same goes for spark plug caps, if its old, change it. As far as finding a condenser to replace the one riveted/spot-welded to the coil, just start trolling the Honda parts fiche, and pick one for a similar machine that they sell separately. I think TL125's and the like have a replaceable one with dual terminals that will work.

shawn5062
10-19-2014, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the welcome and reply. So i got a lil condenser from the local auto store to try out. Needless to say that didnt work lol So I got a crazy idea to pull start it thinking it might get enough power from the stator that way to fire and wallah it started. So now im thinking my stators bad. Considering itll run if you pull start it but not with the pull rope. Been looking at getting a new or used stator and there kinda pricey been thinking about trying to rewind the one i have anybody have any tips or instructions on how to do that?

shawn5062
10-19-2014, 03:51 PM
Ive cleaned the points and readjusted them cleaned the stator cleaned all the grounds for the coil cut off quarter inch and reinstalled the cap checked all my connections in the wiring it doesnt have the light switch so right now the wire off the stator for the lights is unhooked would that make a difference

Steve-Hoog
04-02-2015, 09:37 AM
Shawn

This is a nightmare many seem to have; including myself.

I strongly suggest you get that Ohm meter now; and try to get up to speed with using that on what you have.