PDA

View Full Version : 83 200s fast/ high idling ! Help!

phildegrave
10-20-2014, 01:58 PM
Bought a 3 wheeler from a sealed bid auction. Ran and idled perfect when I bid on it. Got it home a week later someone had messed with it. Throttle works normal , took apart carb and intake boot no issues there. Double checked for vacuum leaks seems normal checked the gap and "timing" seems normal. Even changed the carb and also moved the c clip on the needle up to the last notch to ensure it sears deep... And yea I've been aligning the body into the housing with the notch for the idle screw... I'm frustrated! Can anyone help?
When u start it it runs like it's got half throttle ( running fast) ... Thanks

yaegerb
10-20-2014, 02:23 PM
It's either a clogged fuel line, improperly adjusted pilot screw, junk caught in pilot jet, throttle cable binding, improperly adjusted idle screw or an air leak. If there are no modifications to the motor move the needle clip back to its stock position (3rd clip) cause you just leaned the crap out of your engine.

phildegrave
10-20-2014, 02:27 PM
Ok thanks. Fuel line isn't plugged and I've tried two different carbs I'll move the clip back But also the throttle cable appears to move back and forth normally . I took apart the box thing that mounts on the handle bar too to check for free movement back and forth ...

yaegerb
10-20-2014, 02:47 PM
are you sure the pilot screw is set to stock specifications? The pilot screw is the small one on the front (facing the motor) of the carb. Seat it GENTLY and turn it out 1-3/4 turns (I think that's right). Make sure your cable isn't bound up along the frame. Also check to make sure you have the slide in the correct way. You may have it 180 degrees out.

cwolfe
10-20-2014, 02:54 PM
what yaegerb said about the slide i bet it is not in correctly that would cause it to idle that high. also check to see if it is sucking air between the carb and intake or the intake to the motor that would also cause high idle. spray starter fluid or carb cleaner around each place while it is running and see if she revs more. hope this helps.

tri again
10-20-2014, 05:28 PM
aaah, double post, same trike.
Yeah, replaced carb and associated intake parts with known working carb, same results.
We double checked each other on the parts swap but will check those things yet, again.

Can the timing be checked with a light? I forget.
Thanks youse guys.
I often get tunnel vision when working on my own stuff and seem to forget
more than I ever knew.

Main throttle slide actually bottoms out as I HAVE put them in wrong a few times in the past.
Have also seen the main needle 'w' clip flip and allow the main needle to float around but not the case in this case.

phildegrave
10-20-2014, 06:06 PM
thanks for the shared info... i have tried the carb clean/ starter fluid spray around the intake areas while its running and it did NOT speed up so pretty certain no air leaks...also the slide ive pulled it in and out of both the first carb and the replacement carb and have it in correctly where the *notch* is for the idle screw,...to no avail... i will check to make sure the throttle cable isnt bound up, but i lubed one end of it, and checked it for proper operation it seems to work in and out just like my other bike...someone also suggested there might be dirt in the carb or something but that cant be true either since ive tried to different carbs and still the smae thing...idles at a speed equal to about half throttle...the throttle itself is where it should be on the handle bar..give it some gas and it revs even higher... ug my brain hurts

yaegerb
10-20-2014, 08:57 PM
What happens when you give it choke?

Devilsclaw
10-20-2014, 11:55 PM
Did you happen to fill it up with pure gasoline? If it was set for E10 changing to pure gasoline can make it run fast by about 400 rpm I guess. I guess I don't understand why you cannot just turn the idle screw out therefore lowering the slide and slowing the idle. Also, I'm not sure if that carb has a fast idle circuit, but if that little lever inside is binding, it can cause the same to happen, however your carb change makes that unlikely unless both were out of spec or bound up.

Try removing the air filter and see if it slows down drastically. If so, that could be a clue the filter is gummed up. Wash with gas and re-oil.

The fact you changed carbs with same results, leads me to suspect either the fuel changed, or something up with the intake/filter. The needle should be set at the factory notch--in fact, set everything to factory setting. Until that is done, you are just treating symptoms, and not the problem.

Let us know what you find out and good luck!

phildegrave
10-21-2014, 10:42 AM
View
lets review ...

ok so the only reason why i went to this impound auction after months of knowing there was just crap there, they listed a 83 honda 185... so i had to go take a peek. i was first there no one elese in line on the first day to view...

cant ride or move any vehicles but can try to start and put in gear, this thing was awesome! started right up , using the choke controls, and mindful of the other switches etc... idled fine didnt smoke or knock, with my limited public high scholl education and some shop classes at a community college i said to myself yaY..

i bid 29 dollars over the min bid.

a week later i am informed i am the highest bid, yay again i told myself, it was more complete (louder though) then my other one similar...

gut feeling said look at it again before paying in the office cash 239 dollars, but was in a hurry and thought no problemo...

to cut to the chase, there is no one other then an employee(s) of that yard that could have swiped parts, changed some and other wise messed with it....if u look at the start of this trhead, ... some body took the cable screw assembly underneath the rubber boot that screws into the top of the carb and un screwed it all the way ( 1/4 inch, whcih is basically hidden to the naked eye, i only figured this out by posting a shout out on craig s... and had the time this afternoon to closely examine my suspions.

any way long story short, be careful be aware and thanks to the guy who turned me on to honda trikes and being a good all around guy after all these years....

tri again
10-21-2014, 12:53 PM
ps - oreillys does NOT have #1 or #2 phillips or posidrive for the hammer impact screw remover. Should probably get both since the screw heads are different sizes.
Napa has them. but today is our last day or dry before a week of buckets o' rain.
so we'll be on the roof for sure.

So anyway to check timing on these 185 / 200 engines?
Can't imagine it changed but maybe got stuck in an advanced position due to unintentional overrevving?? Maybe get that spark advance apart and check the advance plate and springs.
Need the correct impact screw head to get it apart.
2 packs at Napa for a couple bucks and you can borrow my slam driver if you need to.