PDA

View Full Version : Glamis information needed

atc500x
10-23-2014, 11:03 PM
I plan to go to glamis in about 1 month.I have to ride for about 3000 miles so I don't want bad surprise..... :)

Did anybody could give me some info about the place? closer gas station...? restaurant? any service? better place to camp?

Any usefull information will be really helpfull.PM me if interrested to help

Thanks

HairyJR
10-24-2014, 12:40 PM
Sounds like your first trip to Glamis “ISDRA” and during our major Thanksgiving holiday period. Yes a long drive but you’ll never forget riding the dunes. Dry camping is all that’s available, don’t know your planned camping arrangements, tent, camper, trailer or motorhome as any and all versions are done by those who do visit. All services are available just 25 miles west of the dunes in Brawley and El Centro. There is one store “Glamis Beach Store” open 6am – 3pm daily, supplies are pricey. Other vendors set up at Glamis Flats (near the store) and also near the BLM Ranger Station, which you should visit and get their brochure and handouts about desert region rules.
Riding season has begun and I’ll be there in a couple weeks for a couple weeks leading up to Thanksgiving Weekend. Enjoy your visit……..

"HJ" :beer

3Razors
10-24-2014, 01:09 PM
Buy your California non-resident riding permit from here. http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=25669

Each bike needs one. Depending on the ranger, time of year, and luck some check for the stickers some don't. It's a hefty ticket and possibly a inpound of your bike if you don't have one. I like camping in the Glamis flats myself as it's close to all the action.

Poco Loco
10-24-2014, 05:34 PM
If you wait till march 14th there is a group of trikes going to glamis for a week. It is working with the Calvmx west coast 3 wheeler nationals. There is a FB page that has links and info about the race and glamis. There will be riders from 3ww also, myself included.

The page is called "3wheeler week" give it a look before your plans are cemented.

atc500x
10-24-2014, 10:06 PM
Thanks guys!

I made a search with google map and I see this store,what did they sale? food? gas? oil?
Is there any public source for water to drink except in Brawley and El Centro?

We plan to camp in the cargo trailer or a tent.I will have my CR500AF and the 85 R, my friend bring his 2004 kx500. It's a 4500 km,about 3000 miles,so 6000 miles total with return trip.

I saw somewhere too about the non-california riding permit.....I sent a mail to the BLM this week and they respond that I don't need it since our bike re registered in canada....I really have a doubt so I will purchase them online.

Is there any big event scheduled by the end of november? will be there about nov 24-25 to dec 1st.

Is there any place better than other to camp?closer to better riding place?

Thanks all.Yes it's my first and probably the only trip to glamis.

Thanks!

jb2wheels
10-24-2014, 10:46 PM
Is there any big event scheduled by the end of november? will be there about nov 24-25 to dec 1st.
Thanks!

HELL YES!

Nov 27 is USA Thanksgiving

I haven't been since the 80s but Glamis used be an absolute nuthouse on the big weekends - Thanksgiving, New Years, etc.

I hear there's a lot more regulation than "the good 'ol days" but I imagine the whole time you're there will be a "big event".

3Razors
10-24-2014, 11:44 PM
Historically Thanksgiving weekend is one of the busiest weekends there and just finding a place to camp can be chaos. It's true it recent years attendance has died down due to the economy and Nazi rangers though. The 3 main areas to camp are along Gecko road, the washes, and glamis flats. The washes follow the railroad track with a dirt road next to the railroad for access. The flats is really a giant cul de sac that is next to the famous beach store, all the vendors, roach coaches, ect will be there to take care and help man and machine survive the weekend. Gecko road is a paved road that people camp off either side and is most famous for the evening flat drags that take place nearby. Everybody has an opinion on which is the best place to camp there are pros/cons to each. I've done them all, but for a first timer if you want a traditional full glamis experience camp in the flats along the outside perimeter if possible. If no good spots are left there your best bet will be to go farther down the washes.

HairyJR
10-25-2014, 12:50 AM
Glamis store sells no fresh produce, many other items such as beer, soda, water, eggs, milk, ice cream, chips, canned food, camping supplies, oil, a mini hardware store, some repair parts and of course souvenirs. Best bet is getting everything in town.

You will be arriving at a time when 75 – 100 thousand other duner’s are already there with another 100 thousand to arrive starting Wednesday night before Thanksgiving. Finding a prime parking spot and hard packed ground will be difficult unless you have 4 wheel drive, the sand is not your friend with 2 wheel drive and a trailer. Sand riding and dunes are only yards away from wherever you camp. Everyone has their own opinion where to camp, Gecko Road, Glamis Flats (near the store) or in the washes along the east side of dunes.

No organized events that I’m aware of, Comp hill during the day (closed at night) Oldsmobile all day and many people gather there at night too. Another unorganized gathering is what’s called the “drags” late afternoon till dark just south/east of Pad 1 on Gecko Road.

"3Razors" post above says it well......."HJ" :beer

Poco Loco
10-27-2014, 07:59 PM
If this is your 1st time going, I wouldnt recomend Thanks giving week. Total kaos. Coppped up sand and people everywhere and its dangerous if you are new to this.

cbx1170
10-27-2014, 08:28 PM
I second the prev quotes on Turkey Bird weekend. Its a lot of fun to see all the people but the riding will not be great. It will be good but only after driving about 1/2 mi into dunes due to all the wheel ruts from the mobs of people and then you run the risk of hitting one. Flags and lights please. No doubt Glamis has the best dunes - the highest killer dunes. When at Glamis we always camped on S end of Gecko and head east and a little south in to the dunes to get away from everybody. Not that much sleeping cause the noise stops at 3AM and starts at 6AM. I will be at Buttercup week of Dec 8 to 10 for yes you guessed it a "Dune Wedding". TA DA. Never heard of that before huh? Sorry to hijack your thread but if you change your days let me know i'll bring some trikes to ride. And a motorhome. PS memorize this new dune riding area map.
http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medialib/blm/ca/pdf/elcentro/maps.Par.96652.File.dat/2014_imperialdunesmap_8x11.pdf

David Ham
10-28-2014, 12:49 AM
Some great advise hear from alot of people who have visited the Glamis area most of their lives. I will just add one thing since the important stuff has already been mentioned - Just remember on busy weekends it is better to watch the show than to be the show. Be safe & have fun - Glamis is the best of times!