PDA

View Full Version : Louisiana Big Red

TobyG
10-24-2014, 08:43 PM
New guy from Louisiana. I have an 85 250es that my grandfather bought new. He used it hunting, trapping, and around his garden for about 10 years. After he passed away, the bike set up for several years in the back barn. I finally recovered it from my father's house, brought it back to my house and started working on refreshing the bike. The tank had rusted through in several places, and keeping it original was not my highest priority, so I ordered one of those ugly plastic jobs. Changed all the fluids, bought a battery, cleaned the carb, and the bike has pretty much been going ever since. Over the years, I've replaced the brakes and some cables, and can only get about 2 years out of a battery. But the bike has NEVER left me stranded in the woods. For the last 10 or 15 years it has been my only wheeler for deer hunting. It is a whole lot more nimble in the woods and swamp than I am. I'm planning on later on this winter starting a strip-down renovation, including rebuilding the engine (just to freshen it up), painting the frame, trying to restore the plastics as best I can, and new tires. It is a great bike, easy to load, does it job well, and is very reliable.
Looking forward to keeping up with all your postings.

Jmoozy27
10-25-2014, 01:27 AM
I'm sure paw-paw got a big grin on his face in trike heaven. Welcome to the site and post a few pics when you get a chance. Big reds are awesome, keep an eye one the rear differential oil and change it regularly, engine oil too.