PDA

View Full Version : stuck in a rut

dunn
10-26-2014, 04:47 PM
I've had my 83 250r now for 4 months. It was bored .020 over and bogging out. I'm down to a 122 main but stayed at a stock 50 pilot. It doesn't bog nearly as much but I think I'm fouling plugs. A new plug in only lasts a hand full of rides. Do I continue going down on main how bout the pilot? I also adjusted the float level and set the needle clamp at top notch. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

manbearpig
10-26-2014, 06:28 PM
Check your reeds. a broken reed pedal or a set of pedals that dont seal to the cage properly will give you what you think is a rich condition. change your reeds out and set that main jet back to a 132-137 (if its the stock 30mm keihin and you have no other mods), and give it a try.

dunn
10-27-2014, 08:16 AM
Check your reeds. a broken reed pedal or a set of pedals that dont seal to the cage properly will give you what you think is a rich condition. change your reeds out and set that main jet back to a 132-137 (if its the stock 30mm keihin and you have no other mods), and give it a try.

I've changed the reeds out I'll give them a look see again. I do have the stock 30mm keihin. I thought I had to go down on the main due to running fat but I'll give it a try. Thanks

manbearpig
10-28-2014, 12:51 AM
damaged reeds or a pedal that wont seal will give a false 'rich' condition. it will foul plugs if its really bad.

If you're in Marksville, La, as your profile states, you're only 75-82 feet above sea level, depending on what website you ask. Thats not high enough by any means to warrant a small main jet (like a 122) to compensate for the less dense air of higher altitudes.

Somethin is wrong fundamentally. set everything back to stock as best you can and start testing individual components.

some questions that may help if answered: you state that plugs only last for a couple rides. how long are your rides? are you fouling a plug going up and down the street or are you fouling plugs while out on the trail after a 2 hour ride? what is your definition of 'fouled?' what is your definition of 'bogging?' does it bog mid range, only at high RPM, only down low?

dunn
10-28-2014, 08:19 AM
It seems to be bogging at mid to high range rpms but the bog isn't very bad but it is noticeable. As far as fouling plugs I can put a new one in ride trails or a couple trips down the street pretty much burn a tank of gas and it's done. Yeah here in central Louisiana the humidity can be rough too. So you're saying check the reeds go back to stock main at 130 then go up from there.

BOB MARLIN
10-28-2014, 12:57 PM
I had a carb that no matter what jet I put in it bogged-bad. It turned out that the carb was just plain wore out and not sealing around the jets so the gas was just going around the threads instead of being meetered through the hole in the jet.

renderX
10-28-2014, 03:05 PM
What type of oil are you using?

dunn
10-28-2014, 03:32 PM
I'm running 10w 30 gtx. I've also noticed gas in my air box tube as well.

dunn
10-28-2014, 03:35 PM

I'm running 10w 30 gtx I've also noticed gas in the air box tube

manbearpig
10-28-2014, 04:58 PM
I'm running 10w 30 gtx I've also noticed gas in the air box tube

he means what mix oil are you using in the fuel your run. would probably be good to know what mixture youre mixing at too (20:1, 32:1 40:1)

Mr. Clean
10-28-2014, 05:10 PM
he means what mix oil are you using in the fuel your run.

Or using motor oil as premix could be the issue :wondering

manbearpig
10-28-2014, 07:36 PM
Or using motor oil as premix could be the issue :wondering

tired to give him the benefit of the doubt.. it would be difficult to be that far off base.

dunn
10-29-2014, 08:34 AM
tired to give him the benefit of the doubt.. it would be difficult to be that far off base.

My bad on that I misunderstood. I'm running HP2 32:1 have had a couple of people say that 5 gallons per bottle is fine. Any opinions on that one.

Hasteranger
11-09-2014, 02:58 PM
What do you mean 5 gallons per bottle? The premix is designed to be run at a specific ratio. The little bottles are 32:1 when mixed with one gallon. If you use a 5 gallon can and want to keep it 32:1 with the small bottles than you need 5 small bottles. One 32:1 in 5 gallons would make it, um, 160:1,if my math is right. Probably not enough oil in that.

galevin
11-09-2014, 03:45 PM
Your math is correct. Way too lean if he's running one bottle/ 5 gallons