PDA

View Full Version : Tie Down Storage

NeverLift
10-27-2014, 02:25 PM
How do you organize/store your tie down straps(pics)?

After living in my house for over 2 years I have finally started putting my shop together. I have over 30 tie downs most different styles and they are always such a cluster F**K. Give me some ideas.

redsox
10-27-2014, 03:07 PM
i could also use a good idea. Mine are a mess. I do store my bungee cords on a length of pvc. Keeps em' nice and neat.

oldskool83
10-27-2014, 03:52 PM
I only have 4 and store then in the console of the truck next to a roll of TP.

Airmapper
10-27-2014, 04:01 PM
For some of my big ones I used leftover heavy duty ziploc bags the Fastenal man leaves behind when he stocks the tool room. I roll up the straps and stuff them in a bag, they don't un-curl that way. I use a larger bag and throw the ratchets in there.

My smaller ones are a mess though, they usually are tangled about in the rear of my SUV.

belly
10-27-2014, 04:11 PM
For the big straps with the locking end, I wrap the strap around the binder and clip end to the strap. For the rest, industrial Velcro strips work good for holding them together. The ones that detach from the binder, I just roll up and put in a box.

MIK6
10-27-2014, 04:35 PM
Ive got a 3 drawer plastic shelf thing from walmart. Ive got about 30 or so straps all thrown in, tangled and knotted all together.
when I need more than the 4 I keep in the bed of my truck I dump the drawer out into a pile, I pull on 1 at a time then i start to get mad and sware! Then I throw them all back into the drawer and go but a new 4 pack at walmart!
Once I unload the trailer I just throw the 4 into that drawer and repeat the whole process! Lmao!

if someone has a good storage idea let me.know! I could use it too! Lol

blue27
10-27-2014, 05:53 PM
I use these canvas zipper bags (see link) size large, I can fit two tiedowns and two soft ties in one bag and a put the filled bags in a large tool bag. Then you are only untangling two at a time,lol I had a lot of sets of tiedowns rolling around in the truck so this does keep them a little more in control and all you have to do is grab one or two bags to tie down or if you switch to another truck (I have more then one) or let a friend borrow them. AND BUY GOOD TIEDOWNS!!! I have been doing this too long and have seen the cheap ones fail and cause damage.

http://www.cumberlandconcepts.com/product-category/zipper-bags/

6speedthumper
10-27-2014, 06:01 PM
For 5k and 10k lbs straps I roll them by their tail, right up to the hook. That way when I go to use them I just hook the hook to the trailer and throw roll over the object I'm strapping down. Unrolls when you toss it and saves lots of time and hassle of untangling. After I roll them up I stack them in the storage box on my trailer.

For the smaller 500-1000lbs straps, I roll the strap around it's hook until there is about 8"-12" left to roll. I take that 8"-12" and wrap it around the middle of the roll and tuck the tail of the strap into the hook to keep it from unraveling.

coolpool
10-27-2014, 06:14 PM
Mattdrogontamer showed me his way which involved rolling the smaller ones around themselves and wrapping a simple elastic band around them. Works everytime!

Mr. Clean
10-27-2014, 06:30 PM
How do you organize/store your tie down straps(pics)?

After living in my house for over 2 years I have finally started putting my shop together. I have over 30 tie downs most different styles and they are always such a cluster F**K. Give me some ideas.

Since your asking about in the shop and not the truck tool box or trailer here are some ideas.

Two eye bolts mounted into the wall placed vertically a few feet apart and ratchet them down.

Two pieces of round stock mounted to the wall placed vertically a few feet apart and ratchet them down.

Round wooden dowel or dowels attached to the wall and hang them or ratchet them.

Cheap towel hanger or hangers attached to the wall and hang or ratchet them.

Just a few ideas that come to mind as mine are all jumbled up in the my truck tool box. I used to have them stretched across the tool box end to end and secured down.

redsox
10-27-2014, 06:46 PM
http://www.protoolreviews.com/tools/strap-sack-review/1428/

pretty cool. i'd bet you could make a cheap one pretty easy. theres a good youtube video on how they work but i cant link it for some reason.

briano
10-27-2014, 07:40 PM
For in my truck I attach them in the bed tie down points and ratchet them snug, they are always right where I need them. For in the shop storage, just a nail or a screw and only hang 2 per nail. Space the nails apart a couple feet if you plan to have the doors open when it's a windy day otherwise they will tangle.

Why is it that ratchet straps get scared in the wind and need to find another strap for a hug and then you end up with a fuster cluck?

danbur55
10-27-2014, 09:20 PM
After wrapping strap around ratchet then place them in a ammo box in toolbox holds about 7 of the 10' 1000 lbs straps

NeverLift
10-28-2014, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the input guys. My solution. I will be hanging them on nails along the wall with these nice Velcro straps I found at work holding all the mess together.

captainweezy
10-28-2014, 07:41 PM
Strap sacks.com
Love them.

Marty
10-28-2014, 08:37 PM
At home I hang them from garage door track!!

Kintore
10-29-2014, 03:20 AM
I use a long quarter inch steel pipe off the wall on mounts. I hang all mine up above head height so they don't tangle.

El Camexican
11-24-2014, 12:02 AM
I also have a drawer full of old ratty tie-downs that require detangling, but I'll spare you that photo.;)

sweetip2000
11-24-2014, 01:11 AM
get a flat piece of metal preferably one that has holes in it. Drill it into the wall. Hang both ends of hooks from it.

El Camexican
11-24-2014, 10:19 PM
Oh no please......show us the ratty one`s too .......such an awesome display of tie-downs .....ohhh yeah !

Here ya go Glamy. Does this help satisfy your autoerotic asphyxiation fetish?:wondering

Rookie
12-06-2014, 03:59 PM
I got these CR bags from my nephew ( really, I did ). Found these rubber twist ties at Menards. 12 in. long. Wrap 'em around the strap and put 'em in the bag. Works great

Vwrick69
12-29-2014, 08:07 AM
I found some small pillow cases from airlines at a surplus store. Cut a small slit in top hem and ran a small rope through, as a draw string. 1 big ratchet strap (20' 25k) per bag or small straps in ziplock freezer bags, and 4 freezer bags per pillow case. Have used them for over 20 years.

atc007
12-29-2014, 10:14 AM
Wow,,missed this thread.... Many years ago,,,i had a customer loading up... His truck was like Els garage ... Classy stuff,,, lots of stuff, but ALL organized... He uses old socks! Roll up your strap, stuff it in a sock! I've used it every since. You can roll them drop they have them rolling around under the back seat,,,,Thats where all of mine live... Under the back seat of the truck and a few ratchets in the SUV's. always ready to snag that buy lol.. Only takes a few seconds, and your straps are always neat,out f the way and cannot possibly come undone.

Airmapper
02-13-2015, 11:39 PM
Thread revival, I think I got something here....

Found this at Harbor Freight: http://www.harborfreight.com/abs-storage-organizer-95807.html

Holds 5 sets of the typical small size straps:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-IAhdaqRDoOE/VN6W7_CPCmI/AAAAAAAACxo/CRJro5RYY_c/w1142-h853-no/IMG_0066.JPG

El Camexican
02-14-2015, 12:16 PM
Tie your mother down .......tie your mother down .......or choke your chicken tonight ! :lol::lol::lol::lol::naughty::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I'm no psychoanalyst Glamy, but there is definitely a trend of penile fixation and auto stimulation in your posts. Perhaps you should try and "get a hold of yourself" or get someone to "give you a hand" with that.