PDA

View Full Version : Cant get running.

Melli25
10-28-2014, 02:12 PM
Hey all i have a 200s atc. i bought it dirt cheap and did some work to it so it would run. my issue now is the thing wont run/idle for its life. it has a new carburetor and it has a new coil on it also. it does have DG exhaust on it and the stock plug and stock air filter . when it does get to running it just backfires and dies.. when i finally get it running it will backfire as u drive... idk my issue ive tryed everything

Thanks for info.

Melli25
10-28-2014, 02:13 PM
Also! It would only run of full choke for the longest time. it does not like any other settings for some reason

yaegerb
10-28-2014, 02:24 PM
It will only run on choke because you are too lean. Either you have an air leak, jets are too small or you have a clogged fuel line. What year is your 200s?

Melli25
10-28-2014, 02:40 PM
It will only run on choke because you are too lean. Either you have an air leak, jets are too small or you have a clogged fuel line. What year is your 200s?

1984. and i changed the jets out with a set of new ones online that were stock size i think.

The Fuel line clogged... i cant think of any other than my petcock is bad i know for shure..

I might have an air leak.. the guy before me dropped the airbox on the dg muffler and melted it all up and it dosnt fit well at alll.

yaegerb
10-28-2014, 02:48 PM
1984. and i changed the jets out with a set of new ones online that were stock size i think.

The Fuel line clogged... i cant think of any other than my petcock is bad i know for shure..

I might have an air leak.. the guy before me dropped the airbox on the dg muffler and melted it all up and it dosnt fit well at alll.

so you are saying that you know for sure that your petcock is bad? If so, then replace the petcock before doing anything else.

Step 1: Check for air leaks by spraying carb cleaner over the carb to air cleaner boot joint and intake manifold joint. If the bike revs higher then you have an air leak.
Step 2: Did you buy a chinese aftermarket carb or an OEM NOS unit? You say it's new, so I assume its an aftermarket. Regardless the stock settings for the OEM carb are below. I would set up the aftermarket carb the same.
OEM Carb I.D.: PD85C
Float Height: 14.0MM(.55 inches)
Main Jet: 100
Pilot Jet: 35
Clip: 3rd groove from top
Idle Mixture screw: 2-1/4 turns out

Since you are running a DG pipe I would go to the link below and purchase a 38, 40 pilot. I would also get a 102, 105 and 108 main jet. Start with the 40 and 108 and see if that helps.
http://www.jetsrus.com/a_jet_kit_atv/honda_200_ATC200s.htm

Melli25
10-28-2014, 02:53 PM
Step 1: Check for air leaks by spraying carb cleaner over the carb to air cleaner boot joint and intake manifold joint. If the bike revs higher then you have an air leak.
Step 2: Did you buy a chinese aftermarket carb or an OEM NOS unit? You say it's new, so I assume its an aftermarket. Regardless the stock settings for the OEM carb are below. I would set up the aftermarket carb the same.
OEM Carb I.D.: PD85C
Float Height: 14.0MM(.55 inches)
Main Jet: 100
Pilot Jet: 35
Clip: 3rd groove from top
Idle Mixture screw: 2-1/4 turns out

Since you are running a DG pipe I would go to the link below and purchase a 38, 40 pilot. I would also get a 102, 105 and 108 main jet. Start with the 40 and 108 and see if that helps.
http://www.jetsrus.com/a_jet_kit_atv/honda_200_ATC200s.htm

Thanks for the info. the gentlemen i got it from bought the carburetor it looks to be one off amazon which is Chinese i don't know which is better..

On the jets for the DG exhaust. do you know if i need to change plugs too? see the guy i got it from didn't have the right plug. so i got the right plug for it and a amazon coil and now the new plug is already black. me and my dad were talking and he thinks it needs a different plug since the aftermarket exhaust is on it and i honestly don't know.

Melli25
10-28-2014, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the info. the carb is off amazon its a Chinese one.On the DG pipe do i also need to change plugs? the guy i got it from didnt know anything on these and had the wrong plug. i put the stock one back in it and its already black so it had me curious if i need to change plugs since the exhaust is diffrent than stock

Melli25
10-28-2014, 03:00 PM
oh sorry didnt see your question! yeah its seems shot. reserve does not work and i dont think it going on off works either.. and someone broke the screen in the tank. i didn't know if that would hurt it running too.

yaegerb
10-28-2014, 03:05 PM
yes it will. You need a new petcock before you mess with anything else. Leave the stock plug in, it will be fine.

First item in the list below. Part number 591232

http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/1984-honda-atc200s-fuel-tank-seat/o/m1894sch11120

Melli25
10-28-2014, 03:09 PM
thanks alot! any way on timing these? to be honest i did a compression check on it and its reallly strong i dont know if its been bored out or what but someone did motor work on it. i had to fix the pull cord and some small stuff i know i can hear a top end tick its not to noisy.. any way to fix that? is there adjustments? or just all new parts?

yaegerb
10-28-2014, 03:16 PM
Adjust your valves to quiet the top end ticking. Intake and exhaust valve clearance is .05MM (.002 inches). Also, adjust your cam chain.
timing does not need to be adjusted on a stock motor. Read through the link below to ensure your timing is set correctly.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/141964-HOW-TO-Set-timing-on-Honda-185-200-motors-with-pics

Melli25
10-28-2014, 03:18 PM
thank you. you have been very helpful. one of the few that has took the time of day to help me. if i have any other issues i will ask.

thanks for the info!

yaegerb
10-28-2014, 03:21 PM
No worries, have fun

Melli25
11-25-2014, 01:12 PM
update. cleaned the petcock out redid my fuel lines. re adjusted my carburetor settings and still no luck. im starting to wonder if i need a new CDI box? is that common?

Keepah Rolln
11-25-2014, 08:44 PM
make sure your petcock is not leaking. This will cause some of your symtoms if it is. They are only about 20 bucks..

yaegerb
11-25-2014, 08:59 PM
update. cleaned the petcock out redid my fuel lines. re adjusted my carburetor settings and still no luck. im starting to wonder if i need a new CDI box? is that common?

Do you have spark? Test it by unscrewing the plug, leaving the coil wire attached. Sit the plug on the head so the electrode is touching a cooling fin or some piece of metal to ground it. Turn the lights off and have some watch for spark as you turn the engine over. Don't touch the coil wire while turning over as it will give you a good zap. If you have a nice blue spark, electrical is not your issue. Have you unscrewed the float bowl plug to ensure you have adequate gas in the carburetor?

Melli25
11-25-2014, 09:02 PM
i have no leaks from the petcock. just wondering if that CDI thingy is bad. it looked like it was wet at one time but i honestly dont know much on it.

yaegerb
11-25-2014, 09:14 PM
i have no leaks from the petcock. just wondering if that CDI thingy is bad. it looked like it was wet at one time but i honestly dont know much on it.

Read above

Melli25
11-25-2014, 10:11 PM
OH! Im sorry i didn't see that post. lol....yes i have spark. its not very powerful ( i have the stock coil on at the moment) i also have a new coil that Ive put on and it is better. still no cigar.. and yes i have adjusted the float. the carburetor is aftermarket. i don't know if its a good carburetor. i see most people online use them.. for some reason mine had the wrong jets in it and i changed them back out to spec. maybe i should get a whole new carb? and then just re tune everything? Ie Timing,valves etc.

yaegerb
11-25-2014, 10:13 PM
So it's not starting at all now? What exactly is going on?

Melli25
11-25-2014, 10:55 PM
well.. when i pull on it enough to get it to kick over and run it will idle for a few seconds and die. so u throw it on choke and same. u have to throw your back out to make it run and when it does run it will sputter and backfire and etc.

yaegerb
11-26-2014, 12:43 AM
Have you changed out the pet cock yet or upgraded to an OEM carb?