PDA

View Full Version : Copy of my ATV fine letter to my local Condo Association.

Wickedfinger
01-14-2004, 02:55 AM
Recently, I received a "letter" from my condominium management company stating that I was being fined $50 by the Condo Association Board for riding my ATV on the roads and landscaping of the development despite being warned not to by the "Vice President" of the board. Folks, I have to tell you, I was outraged because I NEVER rode it on the grass or the roads, I was never warned by anybody from the association not to do it (because I hadnt maybe?) and because its a out and out lie that they claim I did. I called the office of the management company (admittedly ready to fight) , but I remained calm and professional and pleaded my case to the lady in charge. She supprisingly was willing to listen and suggested that if I wrote up a letter to her explaining what I had just told her, she would probably be able to get the board to drop the fine against me. The following is the letter and it will explain the whole story of "How Jon Got Railroaded By The Commie Condo Committee". enjoy.

To: Barbara E. Saxton, CAMCO Management

From: Jonathan R. Dellaira, ASM, Store #4163 Tullytown Pa.

Re: ATV violation and fine letter for 2601 Waterford Rd. "Brookstone" Yardley Pa. .

Dear Barbara, as per our conversation, I have put down in writing on this letter why I feel this "Vehicular Violation" regarding my ATV should be removed. It should be noted that the Violation letter was sent to the old owner of the property, Charlie Johnson at his new address, 10 Harvey Ave. Yardley Pa. Please update your records accordingly.

As I said to you on the phone January eighth, the Violation letter, contained a few points that I feel I have the absolute right to contest. While the small fine itself really means nothing to me (I assure you my wife and I make comfortable livings) its the principal of the matter that demands my reaction. The first and most important point I would like to visit is that I received a "first" warning not to ride my ATV on Brookstone property by the Vice President of the condominium association. This statement is simply not true and I NEVER received any official warning regarding the ATV, from anybody claiming to represent in any official capacity, Brookstone, CAMCO, or the condominium association. In early November, after off loading my ATV from a friends Truck, one of my neighbors decided to come over to my driveway with the express purpose of telling me "Its illegal to drive those things on the roads around here". Those were his exact words. After I politely acknowledged his statement with an "Ok, thank you". He then proceeded to engage me in a short conversation about how his "grandson?" used to "race those things" and then he left. Assuming now that this was the "Vice President" of the association, I would like to point out that at no time during the conversation did he specifically mention or announce that he was: A. the Vice President of the Condominium Association, B. operating in some sort of official capacity for Brookstone, or C. giving me a specific warning not to operate my ATV on Brookstone property and that any further violations would result in a fine. This simply did not happen, and I have a witness to that fact in my friend , Mike, who was present for the whole conversation with this fellow. A few hours after the gentleman left, A woman and her husband came over to my house with the purpose of "looking" at my ATV to buy it from me. I had it in the paper for sale for a few weeks leading up to this incident. After a lengthy conversation with these guests about the ATV, the woman asked me if she could test ride it. I agreed to a short test but asked her to please remain in the parking area only - which she did. Satisfied with her test run, the couple decided to purchase the vehicle from me and I am no longer in possession of that particular ATV. What I am afraid of is that the gentleman with whom I had the conversation with before, may have taken the buyers test drive as a Dis-respectful gesture on my part, and this is absolutely not the case. While I am a very strong willed person with a positive but aggressive nature, I assure you, if I had any problem with what my neighbor said to me, I would have let him know it right there, face to face, not by some perceived childish act.

At this point I think it should be known that I have been an ATVing enthusiast for over 20 years. I care deeply about my sport and am a card carrying lifetime member of the Blue Ribbon Coalition, a non-profit ATVing organization dedicated to promoting a positive image for the sport with the express mission of opening up and keeping open both public and private lands for ATVing. That being said, I would never do anything to knowingly hurt or tarnish the image of ATVing. I believe that CAMCO management is under the mistaken impression that I have been operating my ATV on and around the common grassy and landscaped areas of the Brookstone development. This is absolutely not the truth, and I would invite anyone to prove that this has happened. I have however, test ridden the vehicle for very short periods of time on the common driveway and around the parking lot area of the 2600 section. I have lived at 2601 Waterford Road since late August of 2003 and in that time I have had my ATV(s) out of the garage and driven them in the parking lot area approximately 6 times total. My current and past ATVs (including the one in question) have all been titled, registered and licensed (i.e. it has a license plate, just like a car or motorcycle) by the state of Pennsylvania and I carry liability insurance on them. It is not actually "illegal" (as stated in section 75 of the Pa. CS chapter 77) to ride them on any state, county or town owned road provided it is for "very short periods" or at as close to a 90* angle as possible when crossing said roads with the express purpose of riding between designated off road areas. I trailer my ATVs to designated ride areas in and around the state and have no need to bother and disrespect my neighbors by "joy riding" all over their community. The truth is, my wife and I chose to make our first home in Brookstone, because it is such a nice community. I have no desire to detract from that by being a bother to my neighbors.

If the noise emitted by my ATV is an issue with the Condominium Association, I would like to point out that a neighbor up the street from us has a Harley-Davidson motorcycle that, while I find its exhaust note quite pleasant, it is awfully loud and some neighbors might object to it. My ATV's exhaust noise is nothing compared to the growl of the Harley - and since I still hear him riding it around, it must not be a problem with the neighbors or the association therefore I must assume my ATV's isn't either.

In summation, because of the reasons I have presented in this letter, I would like to request that all fines and fees pertaining to this matter be dropped immediately and request that my standing with CAMCO and the Brookstone Condominium Association be noted as that of a good neighbor to my community. I would also like to say Barbara, that you have been nothing but professional, courteous, genuinely interested and warmly receptive to hearing my side of this story. You returned my call in a timely manor and treated me with respect - and I thank you for that. - Jon Dellaira,

mywifeknowseverything
01-14-2004, 08:40 AM
Very Well Said....

ScottZJ
01-14-2004, 08:54 AM
If they still have problems with you, then its time to move. But in doing so you need to make sure its will known of the reasoning. Also telling neighbors, friends and others the problems with living in that community.........peace

Tri-Z Pilot
01-14-2004, 09:55 AM
If you do decide to move, make sure you find out who the vice president is, and blow some krispy kremes (donuts) in his yard, lol!

Dan Tenn
01-14-2004, 10:23 AM
If they still try to get the money from you, make sure you tell them that your going to get your $50 worth out of the council members lawns. :-D

REDMAN225
01-15-2004, 01:53 AM
very well written and said jon. i hope it works out for you. i'm sure it will.

Ace Mon
01-15-2004, 06:41 PM
Good job on the letter . Its important to remember that when you lash out at someone thier first inclination is to lash back . Your doing the right thing tejas . Its sux but 'THEY" got thier wires crossed . You never got the letter . Maybee someone did ride on the lawns and road . Perhaps the didnt catch the guy redhanded . So they asked around and found out that Tejas guy has atvs . So it HAD to be him . Who knows , but I get the feeling you'll get the ticket dropped .