PDA

View Full Version : 82 250r engine assembly

btb9318
11-02-2014, 03:11 AM
Hi all,
obviously new here. got a 82 250r hadn't rode one in about 25 yrs , wow these things are so fricking awesome. Wheelie time on what would be a whipped motor.So after a bore job ,crank bearings ,new seals etc im ready to put it back together. I have a manual and tried to keep the transmission as assembled as I could as I had never split cases on a 2 stroke engine with a transmission. Im just looking for any assembly tips that the manual does not have concerning the transmission ,sealant or no sealant on what gaskets , etc stuff like that . thanks

jacobfour
11-14-2014, 12:01 PM
Hi all,
obviously new here. got a 82 250r hadn't rode one in about 25 yrs , wow these things are so fricking awesome. Wheelie time on what would be a whipped motor.So after a bore job ,crank bearings ,new seals etc im ready to put it back together. I have a manual and tried to keep the transmission as assembled as I could as I had never split cases on a 2 stroke engine with a transmission. Im just looking for any assembly tips that the manual does not have concerning the transmission ,sealant or no sealant on what gaskets , etc stuff like that . thanks

I'm going to be doing this before long for the 1st time as well wondering how it all went?
U get it back running and was it that difficult? did u use hondalube or high heat ATV, or Spray copper sealant on the gaskets?

btb9318
11-19-2014, 06:56 AM
It is not running as of yet. I had a hell of a time finding the seal for the crankshaft on the clutch side. I ordered one from a bearing place as it is a double lip seal and the ones on ebay say double lip but the outer lip is a dust seal not an actual seal lip. I hope that made sence. As for the seal place the seal just came in yesterday so i dont know if it is an actual double lip seal. I was able to use Honda parts for everything else. A got them from partzilla. The gaskets set I was able to get off eBay. I t took awhile but finally got a response about sealant on the gaskets and was told only if it calls it out on the manual. If I had it to do over I would have read more about the crank bearings and went with the cr500 units. Search it on here someone had the part numbers listed. I did not need any special tools. A few well thought out hits with a rubber mallet and was able to remove flywheel and split cases easily. When splitting cases watch for spacers and washers on like all the shafts and when oily they stick all over the case etc. I f you are only doing crank bearings a lot of the stuff on the clutch side can be left on, look it over and determine what to remove. But all and all it is pretty straight forward. Its not completley back together yet if any issues arise I will post. Oh yeah I went to socket head screws I think they make the red of the engine look better. They can be had through fastenal.