PDA

View Full Version : How long is probation before I can post in general area?

hostilerob
11-03-2014, 04:17 PM
I need some jetting advice and wonder when I will be able to post threads in the public areas? I promise to behave. :)

Thanks!

RIDE-RED 250r
11-03-2014, 07:04 PM
The "probationary" period is 2 months of membership with 10 or more posts here in the new member section..

Feel free to ask your questions here. Any who can offer help and advice will.

Welcome aboard! :)

PS: wherabouts in Upstate are you from?? I live in Central NY, a bit north of the thruway about halfway between Utica and Syracuse

MIK6
11-03-2014, 07:10 PM
Welcome to 3ww!
the probation period will fly by and be worth it. Post up here and im sure people will help out.
im another NYer myself..

hostilerob
11-03-2014, 08:09 PM
I am just outside Rochester. Grew up racing at Paradise Speedway in the 80`s. Cant wait til next summer as they will have a monthly series for trikes.

My question is this: I just built a 330R with Paul Turner pipe. A 39PWK carb prejetted, but its too fat up top at 185 and 182 main. I just wanted to know typical main sizes for built 330 kits here in Upstate NY.

MIK6
11-03-2014, 08:32 PM
Im a kawi guy.. BUT joe (ridered) just so happens to be a bigboreR guy..
Im sure he will chime in!

where in roch? I work in webster quite often and my brother is in chili.. so we are out that way pretty often.

I hold a few big rides a year here(in oswego) and ride almost every week w the locals. Watch for ride posts or let me know if your in the area..

hostilerob
11-03-2014, 08:57 PM
MIK6, I have also had Tecate 3 and 4 wheelers. The Honda 250R has always been my #1 so this was the first on my bucket list once I found out that trike racing is back. My next build will be a 1997 Tecate KXT. :)

I am in Penfield. I don't ride much. I am a racer at heart.

RIDE-RED 250r
11-04-2014, 05:15 PM
Well, I have an ESR 350 ported with Eddie's trx9 porting, running full ESR ATC5 exhaust, ESR reedblock, race fuel dome, and (was) running an 38mm PWK/AS carb. My jetting was 192 main, 50 pilot, and if I recall correctly,DGH needle in second groove from top. Just got an ESR PWK 41.2 recently and have not run her yet...

Sounds like mine is set up a fair bit differently than yours, (at least with the external mads) so it's kind of hard to say what your jetting should be. Low to mid 180's is what I see alot of guys running the 330's on once dialed in. Are you sure you don't have a rich slide needle setting or profile causing it to struggle to really get up top??

Whichever needle you have, it is usually prudent to start at the middle groove.

But other than that, I would say go where the engine is telling you to go.. But do it carefully. Usually, one should dial in the main jet first, then slide needle, then finally the pilot and air screw.. But I have seen situations where a carb is jetted so slobbery rich down low it struggles to reach top end...

If you end up as low as a 170 main with no change I would be looking at other issues.

Good luck and keep us posted!

hostilerob
11-05-2014, 02:34 AM
Thanks. Will go down one size at a time til she clears out. Its not mid or low speed jetting. I can hold the throttle wide open for a while and she does not clear out.

hostilerob
11-13-2014, 06:51 PM
Update. The issue was weak spark. A buddy told me to close the gap on the plug and she came to life like a wild beast. I am back to the 185 main and it rips. Now I need to find out if its just the cheap Chinese coil/plug wire I got on Ebay or something else.

RIDE-RED 250r
11-13-2014, 06:56 PM
Thats good news man!

Now as to ignition components: In my experience (and many others will agree) stick with OEM components, especially CDI's. Not sure how well non-OEM coils work a I have never tried one. But I can tell you that aftermarket CDI's have some issues they need to work out. The problems are accentuated when used with big bores. I have first hand experience with the use of aftermarket CDI's and can tell you they are inferior to OEM, at least as of now.

I realize you aren't playing with your CDI at this moment, just figured I would offer some advice and save you from learning the hard way in the future.

hostilerob
11-15-2014, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the advice. I will stay away from non OEM electronics. Only got the coil and wire because this project came with a cut and taped plug wire and since I had to buy a coil for my 7 year old sons tri-zinger I figured I would grab one for the R. Lesson learned. The wire had so little copper wire inside as soon as I threaded it into the cap I wondered if it could even carry enough current. LOL