PDA

View Full Version : Anybody good with generators?

Bren_downe
11-03-2014, 10:16 PM
We had a massive storm out of now where yesterday, knocked out power so far for 36 hours. So I go to fire up my generator and the battery is dead. Bummer. I get that jumped and get the generator running and now it won't put out power.

It's a stationary Winco generator, propane fuel. It used to be wired to an inverter and battery bank when the house was solar power only.
I've been checking fuses and messing with this beast all day but I'm a novice when it comes to generators and electrical.
It's dark out now so I got a pic of the wiring diagram.
Any help or silly thing I could have missed?

YTZ drew
11-06-2014, 05:11 PM
My guess would be the excitation capacitor. It needs to be able to store a small charge, which in turn will maintain the magnetic field in the exciter winding. This in turn causes the spinning rotor to induce voltage into the output windings. I had to change the capacitor on an old Onan generator for the same reason- failed capacitor would not excite the field. You could try connecting a small battery across the cap. for a minute, then test it for voltage with a voltmeter to see if it can still store a charge. Also, if it looks like an old condenser from a points ignition, you could substitute one of those and see if it works- the one on the onan looked just like a condenser.