PDA

View Full Version : Turning my" nasty habit" memborbilia into parts?

MRSOUND
11-04-2014, 09:57 PM
Well the question is sell it or keep it? I smoked for over 30 yrs and finally quit on 1/6/14. Still vaping but winding down on that too! (That thread is already in here somewhere) Anyway, for alot of those years I smoked Camels. Every brand had their own "rewards program gimmick" to attract smokers. Marlboro had "miles", Camel had "camel bucks, etc, etc. Each pack of Camels came with 1 camel buck and you could get a catalog (still have a couple) and order different memorabilia. Between the catalog and buy 2 packs get "something" free I've accumulated 3 rubber maid tubs full of "stuff". Anything from lighters (Zippo, refillable butane, & disposable), tins of matches, ash trays, parkas, hats, flip flops, ear rings, silver coin, flask, even an dart board in it's own enclosed cabinet (Still in cello wrap in original box). After having our house built in 2001 with an unfinished basement I figured I'd build a bar in the basement and display alot of it in that area. (Still only in studded form as of now). Now that I quit smoking (10 months and still going!) I'm questioning whether or not I really want that stuff sitting out as a constant reminder if I ever get the basement finished or hold on to them for?. My thoughts are to hold on to a few items (etched mugs, pilsner glasses, flask) that "fit" into the bar and eBay the rest and turn them into trike parts. Brings me back to the original question, keep it or sell it? Whatcha guys think? A few pics of what I got, alot still in original boxes.

belly
11-04-2014, 10:53 PM
Personally, I would keep a few things and ebay the rest. Use the money you get to finish the bar or buy some trike stuff. Stay strong and keep it up.

6speedthumper
11-04-2014, 11:22 PM
Damn... You did smoke! I'd do what belly suggested. Maybe keep some of the more rarer pieces, or that which you have multiples of, and sell the rest. Can't ever have enough trike money!

El Camexican
11-05-2014, 01:43 AM
Nice collection. I had a bunch of Marlboro stuff that they would send me on my birthdays. Then I moved and left no forwarding address, guess they think I died:lol:. Stay strong! You're a year and 2 months from being over that crap for good:beer.

coolpool
11-05-2014, 10:05 AM
Kudu's to you for quitting, I applaud your perseverance! As for your items, I agree with the above statements. Display the cool stuff and sell the rest. Is there a big market?

just ben
11-05-2014, 10:51 AM
Do you happen to have the pool player zippo?

MRSOUND
11-05-2014, 11:22 AM
Kudu's to you for quitting, I applaud your perseverance! As for your items, I agree with the above statements. Display the cool stuff and sell the rest. Is there a big market?
There is a market for it but I'm not sure how big it is. Anywhere from a couple of bucks for a hat to $100's for certain rare lighters. I'm not sitting on a gold mine by any means but there's a few dollars there ;)

Ben, I don't think I have the pool shooting Zippo, I believe all the lighters I have are in the pics. Most of them never used.

I probably throw a few items up on feebay and see what comes out of it.

86T3
11-05-2014, 11:32 AM
That's pretty cool. When I was a young kid I was into NASCAR and Jimmy Spencer was my favoritedriver, because of that I have a shelf in my parents basement full of Camel/Smokin Joe stuff. If you do want to sell, which I don't think you should, let me know, I might be interested in some of your collection. And congrats on quitting smoking

ironchop
11-06-2014, 10:25 AM
two years and two months quit......I quit dip and smoking at the same time cold turkey.

You probably wont even be bothered by the stuff (regarding "reminding you of the addiction")

after 8 months, I had no craving to smoke. After two years down, I`ve briefly thought about smoking a cigarette twice in that time but it lasted 30 seconds maybe. If you are worried about the stuff triggering latent desires I would just put it away. IMO, the stuff will be worth quite a bit more in ten years or so than it is now so I would just keep it and put it away for a little while longer.

My wife still smokes in the house, my workplace has smokers, half my friends still smoke, a lot of family, etc. It`s a little hard to breathe on holidays and during parties but as far as any of that tempting me to smoke, that has never been the case. Honestly, you will be VERY surprised how you don`t even remotely crave a smoke after its been over a year or so. I do absolutely HATE the smell (you know as I do that cigs smell like a candybar to a smoker) but I can tolerate it with no problems.

Congrats and good luck!

MRSOUND
11-06-2014, 10:59 AM
I'm still getting nicotine through the vapor (although only .6 %) and yes smoke smell now stinks to me as opposed to being appealing. Maybe your right and there will be no "bother" of them sitting around. I'm sure if I unload these "collectors" items 15 years from now I may look back and say dang wish i would of held onto those look at what they are worth. But honestly, they are just gonna sit in a tub in my basement taking up space with little chance of ever seeing "shelf" time except for a few items. I guess they just don't carry the same appeal they once did for me. Sounds like I'm answering my own question by verbalizing it here in the thread, I think it's time for some/most of it to go. I appreciate everyone's feedback.

JayBone
11-06-2014, 03:40 PM
Congrat's Keep it up!
I have some left over marlboro items in the attic I'm saving & cash in to retire on. ha!

Feb 2014 I quit smoking. I changed my whole diet, & exercise everyday. I miss smoking and still think about it often. It was time though 25yrs of it.
I can run a mile in 9.43mins now. I think this is a much better change of habit though.

atc007
11-07-2014, 06:44 AM
Great job Mike. Keep up the good work!

RIDE-RED 250r
11-07-2014, 05:07 PM
Not to sound like one of those anchovies from Spongebob, but I agree... Keep a few choice items to outfit your rec area, sell the rest and buy trike parts, guns, or other such things that will generally retain some value and usefulness.

Congrats MRSOUND! You are wooping it good!

I have been off the wagon here and there. The single biggest stress factor that put me off the wagon completely for a couple of weeks was when my wife took off on a trip with her mother and aunt this past August. Drove me nuts talking to her on the phone as she was leaving an Orioles game at 10:30pm, walking the streets of downtown Baltimore heading back to her hotel, ALONE!

I know, lame excuse... It was more of a rebellion thing I think....

Anyway, still vaping 90% with the occasional butt. Ill get back in the swing of things again very soon.

ironchop
11-07-2014, 07:15 PM
my wife took off on a trip with her mother and aunt this past August. Drove me nuts talking to her on the phone as she was leaving an Orioles game at 10:30pm, walking the streets of downtown Baltimore heading back to her hotel, ALONE!

I know, lame excuse...

I`ll throw you a Hall Pass on that one. I know all about Baltimore. Not safe for "crackers" at all and been that way since the 90s.

czac
11-11-2014, 03:19 PM
I have a camel Joe, rubber can or glass holder and some camel Joe match books... lol

slashfan7964
11-11-2014, 08:04 PM
Sell it! The less you have the less you'll think of it and start up again.

I wish I never started :/