PDA

View Full Version : Tri moto restoration

ruddy
11-05-2014, 02:58 PM
I have a tri moto 175 that has sat for at least ten years in a sorry state. I've had the engine running and have been planning major mods for the last couple of years and I've decided to bite the bullet and get going with it.
I've purchased an it175 cylinder and piston, clutch out of a dt and various parts of gearboxes from various dt models.
Kickstart mechanism, gaskets seals and bearings.
On the cards is hydraulic rear calliper, disc braked front wheel with hydraulic set up, 4 stud hubs for a wider choice of wheels and spacers, better front suspension but sounds like a lot of machining work from the pro tech thread.
I've already started on rear suspension and will hopefully have some kind of progress over next couple of weeks.
My first of probably many questions is did any one get a kickstart working on a yt engine

Hasteranger
11-05-2014, 06:06 PM
I have one of those. Mines a piece of junk. Why do you want a kick starter? How much power do you think you can make with the it175 cylinder over the stock one?

ruddy
11-06-2014, 03:09 AM
I want akickstart because the recoil is a pain in the ass all chewed up and hard to find parts for. A kickstart should never break while out riding far from any one that can tow/push me home.
As for the it cylinder the porting is huge compared to the stock cylinder,and a standard it175 will blow away my standard yt.
Mine has also been a piece of junk for several years but damn these engines can take the torture. Back when I got the trike I was pretty young and couldn't afford parts so this thing was bodged beyond belief, left sitting for nearly ten years, fresh fuel added and started within 20 mins

Hasteranger
11-06-2014, 05:47 PM
I can't get mine running. If it ends up needing a rebuild I'll have to look into changing the cylinder.

Six Stroke
11-06-2014, 06:46 PM
Is there anything really wrong with your recoil, or does it just need a good cleaning and a new rope? I'm sure you could make the kicker work seeing as the YT center cases are the same as a DT, but I think you're going to be balls deep before you know it. There will be a clearance issue since the engine is practically butted right up to the axle. You said you were working on rear suspension, which could help, but you'll have to make it long...longer than any of the aftermarket suspension kits that were once available. I was going to make a 125 Moto that I once had a manual clutch, but the sheer amount of parts-swapping and case-splitting drove me away. Best bet for a manual clutch? Run a DT175 engine with the stator/flywheel/recoil from the Moto, and find some way to deal with the shorter countershaft, since the sprockets won't line up.

ruddy
11-07-2014, 05:20 PM
The recoil was knackered over 10 years ago and was bodged to work but the plastic ring that holds the pawls was all chewed.
It would work if cleaned an good rope but not for long,
I now have complete sets of gearboxes from another dt and I think the end of a dtt output shaft could be welded to the inner end of yt shaft.
Obviously this will need to be done with precision but this small piece of shaft that sits on clutch side of case only holds the idle gear for kickstart and is floating on 2 bearings already, once I have a right hand side case cover I will know for definite
Case splitting and cog swapping is not an issue access to lathes and milling machines is not so easy

mato
02-12-2015, 06:40 AM
Hi guys i would love to know how you went with the kick starter if it can be fitted and how much work is involved
i am picking up a yt175 and looking at the pic's it was missing the pull starter ?? not to sure
but the owner did advertised it as a dt175?? guess i will find out

Crazyktmmatt
02-13-2015, 03:46 AM
I can post pics of my S&D rear suspension if there needed.