PDA

View Full Version : Help identify this Yamaha trike, am I paying the right price

jcasi
11-05-2014, 03:03 PM
So I stumbled on this yesterday and am headed back today. Guy claims its a 1985 yamaha 250. From what I am seeing it should only be a 200ELM if it is an 85 but he swears its a 250. Anyway, It is electric start, has reverse, and is in good condition. Started right up from cold, plastic was good, only a small hole in it. New tires. I see Hondas all the time to price compare but havent seen any of these when I search my craigslist so not real sure what a good price would be? All lights work etc. I wanted to sit on it to do some research as I am not familiar with Yammies hence why I discovered the 250 discrepency.

MIK6
11-05-2014, 03:13 PM
Thats a 225DR..
They are yamis version of Hondas 250SX. Nice trail trikes for sure.

King Trikester
11-05-2014, 03:21 PM
That picture looks like a 225dr to me. From what I understand the timberwolf 2x4 250 atv engine will drop right into be 225dr. So it could possibly be a 250, that being said the best way to tell would be to look on the block, it will tell you the cc's right on it. I believe the 225 will say 223cc's, and I'm not positive on the 250 but it's usually a little less than 250cc (248cc or simular) and they round up to an nice even number.

I would buy it for the right price expecially if it had the 250 timberwolf engine. But either way the 225 is a nice machine, it's just like the honda 250sx. My 225 dx will out run my 250sx but the 250sx has a lot more bottom end.

jcasi
11-05-2014, 03:39 PM
That picture looks like a 225dr to me. From what I understand the timberwolf 2x4 250 atv engine will drop right into be 225dr. So it could possibly be a 250, that being said the best way to tell would be to look on the block, it will tell you the cc's right on it. I believe the 225 will say 223cc's, and I'm not positive on the 250 but it's usually a little less than 250cc (248cc or simular) and they round up to an nice even number.

I would buy it for the right price expecially if it had the 250 timberwolf engine. But either way the 225 is a nice machine, it's just like the honda 250sx. My 225 dx will out run my 250sx but the 250sx has a lot more bottom end.

What would be the right price? It really was clean, no leaks, everything worked as it should. I understand trike prices are pretty sporadic on pricing but I am clueless on Yamaha's, and thanks for the lead on it being a 225dr, I completely overlooked that and now I am confident that is what it is. I will take a look at the block tonight for the engine size.

thefox
11-05-2014, 05:55 PM
It is a 225dr (4 stroke, electric start, reverse, 5 speed with auto ckutch. It is comparable to the Honda 250sx.

yamaha never made a 250 4stroke trike.

Looks to be a 1986. the 86 was impoved on the 85 with larger diameter front shocks and a different carb.

King Trikester
11-05-2014, 05:59 PM
Hard to say from that one pic. Around here in Canada a nice clean good runner would usually go for around 800-1500$ I would aim for 500$ and go from there. I scored mine for 300$ and it's in really good shape, all depends on the seller and his asking price. What is he asking I you don't mind me asking?

King Trikester
11-05-2014, 06:18 PM
I just had a better look at your pic. It looks to be in good condition and I think you would be winning anywhere under 1000$ but trikes are more expensive in my area.

New2Tri-Z
11-05-2014, 06:23 PM
I would say $500-800 but price is relitive to your location, trike condition, etc... If it is a 225DR it should have reverse. The final answer is whatever you are willing to pay for it. But keep in mind the seller is trying to talk you into buying it by stating its a 250.

jcasi
11-05-2014, 08:36 PM
Well I pulled the trigger. He was clueless or acted clueless when I showed him it was a 225 (which it is, and thank you for the help). Here is what Ive notice that needs done.
Battery is low
Pull start you have to jerk it fast a couple times to get it to catch, then starts first pull
Front brake lever bottoms out, so no front brakes
Rear brakes you really have to push the foot lever down to get it to grab
Missing the little toggle for the choke, it broke off he says.
And I need a hitch mount made or bought for it so I can pull a trailer
It runs like a champ though and is clean, I bought the trailer and bike for 800, my buddy is going to give me 300 for the trailer, so I paid 500 for it. Hopefully the brakes are easy and the pull start.

Keepah Rolln
11-05-2014, 08:52 PM
Good score..

King Trikester
11-05-2014, 10:36 PM
Great score, I realy like the blue. It seems like you will have her in tip top shape in no time. Don't forget to change all your fluids asap.

muthey
11-06-2014, 01:38 AM
I have a choke lever you are looking for, no spare cable but I do have a good lever for the top of the cable what do you mean by you have to jerk the pull start fast to get it to catch, do you mean it is free pulling , and then it finally catches on the motor and starts it? I second changing the fluids, as you never know when they were last changed and also get yourself a manual here for it. http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/

jcasi
11-06-2014, 08:57 AM
I have a choke lever you are looking for, no spare cable but I do have a good lever for the top of the cable what do you mean by you have to jerk the pull start fast to get it to catch, do you mean it is free pulling , and then it finally catches on the motor and starts it? I second changing the fluids, as you never know when they were last changed and also get yourself a manual here for it. http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/

If you want to part with that lever, feel free to shoot me a PM with what you need for it, I can paypal you some $$. Its all hooked up and functional, just no lever. As for the pull start, yes, it is free pulling, if I jerk it a couple times it then grabs so I can start it. I have never messed with pull starts but I will take a look at the manual and see if I can figure it out on why it is doing that. He did have a manual for it, so I am good to go on that, seems like a pretty decent one too. I will go through this weekend and change all the fluids on it for sure, cheap insurance.

jcasi
11-06-2014, 09:00 AM

Cable is there and functional, just missing the lever. If you have one you can part with feel free to shoot me a PM and I can paypal you some $$. The Pull start is free pulling, if I jerk it a couple times fast it then catches and I can start it. Hopefully that isnt to big of an issue. I will be changing all the fluids this weekend and seeing what I can do about the brakes for sure!

jcasi
11-06-2014, 06:21 PM
The cable is there, just the lever is missing it looks like. Let me know what you need for it and I can paypal you. Yes it is free pulling, if I snap it a few times it then grabs so I can start it. I plan on changing the fluids this weekend, ordering new breaks (the front indicator is bottoming out and its not grabbing) and working on tracking down a hitch plate for it.

And the 10th Digit is a G - so it looks like it is in fact an 86 from what I am seeing. Not sure if that is good, bad, or indifferent.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/D90-YAMAHA-YTM225DX-YTM-225DX-YTM225DR-YTM-225DR-READ-HITCH-/380908074253?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item58afe3f50d&vxp=mtr

Is that really all the hitch plate is for this thing? A chunk of metal with three holes, for 40 bucks I might try to make my own!

muthey
11-06-2014, 11:25 PM
I have a different style one that is alot more durable here is a pic of it.204072204073204074 will send you a pm tonight about the choke lever

jcasi
11-07-2014, 01:13 AM
Sorry for the multiple post's, I was at work and when it didn't post I thought something was wrong so tried again, nothing, so came home and posted and it worked. My posts must have needed approved or something since they all appeared at once.

El Camexican
11-07-2014, 02:49 AM
Careful with that new choke lever. They break easily, especially when it's cold. Make sure the cable is free and lightly lubed or the lever won't last a week. If the brakes are anything like the YTM200 you will never be really happy with them, but if you get them adjusted properly they will stop the trike, but never like hydraulic brakes.

Check your front wheel bearings and steering head bearings ASAP. The starter dog might just be gummed up with crud, pull the cover and take a look. Whatever the issue is it can be fixed.

muthey
11-07-2014, 03:48 PM
here is a video for you that shows how to repair your pull start the one in the video is a ytm 200, but almost identicle to the ytm 225. the 200 has a compression valve release cable on it whereas the 225 does not.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBhtlWumtlI&list=UU-jAa7IXbm89YSpz8rcYBSw

350for350
11-09-2014, 06:23 PM
And for what it's worth, a Timberwolf engine is 229cc's. Not really much of change in displacement. I know because I have a Timberwolf top end.

Hasteranger
11-09-2014, 10:52 PM
That's what a lot of sport atv hitches look like. They are actually ok for most trailers without much tongue weight. There is a second kind that goes up to the mounts for the grab bar for more support but I'm not sure it's necessary. Depends on what you're doing with it.

jcasi
11-11-2014, 05:55 PM
Hey everyone, so I put the new choke lever on, works great! Work on the pull start, followed my manual and the youtube clip. It grabs every time now, however when I rev the engine up a little I started getting a sound from it, kinda like a tin bell or something rattling and you can feel it on the cable. The only thing I can think of is the little spring is weak or something causing the "catch tooth" (not sure what its called) to not retract or something so it is hitting? Any help would be appreciated!

muthey
11-11-2014, 09:17 PM
It is called a ratchet, and if it is catching there are two possibilities, the little spring which aids it in retracting, or the two prong actuating spring is either in there wrong or wore out. also now that I am thinking about it, the 10 mm lock down nut is a nylock nut and if the nylock is wore out, it can allow the cover plate to loosen and things to start catching. Which way did you put the ratchet return spring in?, remember it goes long prong into the drum, I would check the resistance of the spring as well. Watch the video again if you need to never know what you missed. I will try and make a new one soon that deals with the actual 225 pull start, just at the time I was lazy and didn't want to pull mine off.

jcasi
11-16-2014, 07:00 PM
Does anyone have a part number for the hitch that braces up to the back luggage rack? I see a few on ebay right now but they state 84 and under for the years, etc but they appear that they could fit. Would rather have one of that style than a plate but having a hard time finding a cross reference to an 86.

foxyshazzam
11-18-2014, 01:16 PM
great find! I'm digging the blue and yellow!

jcasi
11-22-2014, 05:44 PM

Today I welded for the first time since high school (14 years or so), made my hitch plate which turned out really well. Now I just need the snow to come back so I can pull my boy in the 70's sleigh I have! I fixed the pull start and it was good for a few days, but it started rattling again, so time for take apart number 3. I am almost positive I am not tightening the bolt enough but if it is to tight, even with everything lube up it locks it up, so I will just have to keep playing with it.

muthey
11-22-2014, 08:54 PM
I have a lil trick for you first try a new nylock nut, and if that doesnt help you can buy at some hardware stores a paper thin washer that can go under the pawl plate to keep the nut from tightening it to tight. one or the other should help you fix your problem also use lock tight on the threads to keep the nut in place.

jcasi
01-11-2015, 10:01 PM

Just thought I would share a Pic for you guys of me pulling the boy in my Sleigh from the 70's??? My second welding project was making the windshield for it so he wouldn't get blasted by exhaust fumes and snow when I got on it a little. The trike is running like a champ and it loves the snow!!!

shdtreemechanic
01-11-2015, 10:07 PM
Nice bike I just picked the same one up today but its yellow

225 Trimoto
01-14-2015, 06:43 PM
Looks like a nice trike I would sure like something like it for myself