PDA

View Full Version : Strange sounds from the attic.

tri again
11-08-2014, 04:36 PM
Every night after dark sounds like bb's or marbles
or more like hazelnuts dropping on the upstairs floor.
It's a converted barn, pretty well sealed up and I have had mice but I can hear them scratching and their noises are pretty unmistakable.

This new noise is odd. Complete silence except for the dropping nut sound every 4 or 5 minutes for 1/2 hr or so at a time.
Traps are empty and I HATE to use poison because they can die and stink for months.
Best to use that in the summer as it makes them go outside to look for water.
Also have no interest in hurting squirrels, if that's what it is.
Had a pet one that would ride around on my shoulders and work in the garden with me and run up my arm when I was ready to leave.
Maybe ghost of pets past?

Troyg25
11-08-2014, 04:52 PM
Have you checked for bats? They leave a nasty trail of droppings behind and only come out to play at night. Just a thought

El Camexican
11-08-2014, 09:06 PM
When nothing else makes sense...

Chopsaw
11-08-2014, 09:28 PM
What time of night is it ? Trapped spirit energy is a real thing . Sounds like you have a animal intruder , however the other does exist , and until you see it . hear it , feel it , you just would not believe it .

Chop

briano
11-09-2014, 02:36 AM
Time to get a cat. Not a cat guy by any stretch of the imagination but my wife picked up a cat just before valentines day 2014 and he is great. Nonstop mouser, he catches mice even when they won't go into a trap. Like I said, I'm not a cat guy, but this cat is pretty damn good at ridding our home of critters.

Billy Golightly
11-09-2014, 11:23 AM
The trusses in one end of my house creak and knock around all the time. Atleast once or twice a week. Has for 20 years, just settling or stress tension moreso on that area than any where else. It freaks some people out when they hear it the first time but I've never paid any attention toward it.

manbearpig
11-09-2014, 11:34 AM
The trusses in one end of my house creak and knock around all the time. Atleast once or twice a week. Has for 20 years, just settling or stress tension moreso on that area than any where else. It freaks some people out when they hear it the first time but I've never paid any attention toward it.

Says the guy who sells property in the land of sinkholes...

Billy Golightly
11-09-2014, 11:36 AM
:lol: If this house falls in a sinkhole, it'll be the entire damn thing the way the footer, foundation is concreted and re-barred together. That'd be about my luck though - ya'll ever learn about an 80ft hole in Live Oak FL that swallowed a whole house, you'll know it was me.

czac
11-11-2014, 03:18 PM
squirrels or coons... go up there and shoo em out then find out where they are gettingin and seal it off with heave metal screen or flashing. but beware, they will work at it for hours to try and get back in so you may wanna make sure its totally buttoned up tight. and forget using wood, they'll chew it to shreds. I had to use that steel mesh that the mortar guys use when they put mortor on walls... its like a thick metal mesh in tort of a diamond shape pattern, its usually in the isle near the cement mix and stuff.

Bren_downe
11-11-2014, 03:56 PM
If it's bats you would hear them right around dusk and dawn. Wait outside just after dusk and see where they're coming from. Climb up and seal it with expanding foam.

ironchop
11-11-2014, 07:30 PM
:lol: If this house falls in a sinkhole, it'll be the entire damn thing the way the footer, foundation is concreted and re-barred together. That'd be about my luck though - ya'll ever learn about an 80ft hole in Live Oak FL that swallowed a whole house, you'll know it was me.

our sinkholes here swallow museums full of vettes