PDA

View Full Version : Just let go of 2 of my "other" babies to get something I have been wanting

RIDE-RED 250r
11-12-2014, 06:04 PM
So, I sold my Walther PPK/S and S&W 1911TA E-series to get this....

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=452473808

I am SO EXCITED to lay my hands on this rifle!!!!

Buck Snort
11-13-2014, 05:09 AM
Very nice! My Uncle has one in 300 wsm. Loves the gun.

atc007
11-13-2014, 02:30 PM
NICE !!!. You will love it.

oldskool83
11-13-2014, 02:41 PM
Don't shoot your eye out....

RIDE-RED 250r
11-13-2014, 04:51 PM
Very nice! My Uncle has one in 300 wsm. Loves the gun.

My brother has a m70 Classic Sporter in 300WSM as well..and like your uncle, he loves his.

His being a Classic Sporter and made near the end of the New Haven rifles, his has the old Mauser style bolt, CRF.

He also has a Pre-64 m70 Std in 270, a 1971 m70 in 30-06 and a new FN/Winchester m70 FW along with the aforementioned Classic Sporter... I'm sure you can see why I have been bitten by the "W" bug.. ;)

But now HE is a little jealous of me for once... he doesn't have a Super Grade yet......

I'm still waiting for it to arrive. Should be here sometime next week. I can't wait!

Buck Snort
11-13-2014, 05:03 PM
Dam! Now I have the urge to buy a new gun.

Dirtweed
11-13-2014, 05:57 PM
Dam! Now I have the urge to buy a new gun.

You mean that urge goes away for you....not me it is always on.

RIDE-RED 250r
11-13-2014, 06:58 PM
Firearms and Honda ATC's.... far and away my biggest 2 obsessions! :D

plastikosmd
11-14-2014, 04:07 PM
Wow, not even a t-Rex is safe now

RIDE-RED 250r
11-14-2014, 07:56 PM
Wow, not even a t-Rex is safe now

I just have an interest in the not-so-mainstream and, well... big. Ever hear of the 505 Gibbs cartridge??? Montana Rifle Co. offers a beauty chambered in that.... No practical use on this continent whatsoever, but still awesome to see the numbers on that one ;)

I think most trikers can probably relate to that... :D

hoosierlogger
11-14-2014, 08:18 PM
Nice to see a rifle with a wood stock. Too much plastic on guns nowadays.

RIDE-RED 250r
11-14-2014, 09:02 PM
Nice to see a rifle with a wood stock. Too much plastic on guns nowadays.

Very much agree! :beer

The rifle I have been using for about the last 8 years is a basic Remmy 700 ADL 270 in synthetic. It was a gift from my brother and it has put alot of meat in the freezer. I plan to get it some walnut to wear at some point... But that Super Grade is scratching an itch I have been dealing with for quite a while.

plastikosmd
11-14-2014, 09:58 PM
Yep, I know the 505.
Here is a 50-110 I have been working up, love the oddballs like u
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j5/plastikosmd/50-110/b5d156210b73fefeb3198f5eb7bd2a27_zps7d199052.png
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j5/plastikosmd/50-110/a4ad529d2968582b79b31ff4f8af607e_zpsd0592d4f.png

RIDE-RED 250r
11-15-2014, 09:32 AM
^^Holy smokes!!^^^

plastikosmd
11-15-2014, 06:44 PM
Yep, smoke is appropriate, have been using holy black. More work to clean but case is so large, I haven't dared to try smokeless. 3031 should work but I don't want to ring the barrel/ chamber

RIDE-RED 250r
11-15-2014, 07:32 PM
Yes, definitely do your research and work up carefully if/when you start experimenting with smokeless...

Ever try Hodgdons Triple 7?? It is a direct black powder equivalent (like Pyrodex, only much cleaner burning) and I use it in my old Thompson Center Renegade black powder rifle. It is an "old school" side hammer, octagon barrel type. In-lines were still a year of 2 from coming out when I bought it. I cannot use the pellets like the modern in-lines do because of my sideways ignition. I switched to Triple 7 because the old Goex FFG is getting harder to source around here thanks to stiffer regs on black powder vs smokeless causing many dealers to just let it go.

I have had a few hiccups with the Triple 7, mainly poor ignition.. I switched to Winchester magnum no.11 caps and that helped alot. I plan to convert to a shotgun primer setup to insure the most reliable ignition possible. Other than that, it performs the same as old Goex and burns MUCH cleaner....

Might be worth a try in your 50-110??? With due diligence in caution and research of course...

My standard hunting load in my muzzle loader is 100gr Triple 7 (same charge I used with FFG) pushing a 375gr Hornady Maxi Hunter bullet. Pretty close to what you are doing with your 50-110 if you are using similar weight bullets. But I wonder, does the fact you are using a metallic cartridge as opposed to my muzzle loader change any rules of the game for you????

RIDE-RED 250r
11-22-2014, 09:39 PM
So, I picked up my new rifle from my LGS last tuesday. I have to say, my first impressions when seeing and handling this rifle first hand are that it is everything I had hoped it would be and then some. The high polished blue finish is very much like my older Smith and Wesson revolvers, almost a smoked chrome look when viewed at certain angles. The pictures really didn't do this m70 justice....

Now, 338 WM isn't exactly common to find around my area. And being that I am not yet tooled and supplied to make my own ammo for this thing I figured I would try to find a couple boxes of factory ammo locally to get me started.. Well, that didn't work out so well... of the 4 places I hit I was able to score a partial box from a small gun shop... 16 rds. Luckily that was just enough to get her darned close at 100yds. It is grouping 3/4" about 1/2" high an 1/2" right. If I had 5 more rounds I would have been able to bring it in those last couple of fine adjustments. But I wanted to save 3 rds to hunt with so thats what I did... Still more than adequate for hunting purposes, I'm just a little OCD about these things.

Now that bad:

First time to the range to sight in was an epic fail. I have never returned home with a target with no holes in it. Yep, pulled the trigger and click. Tried several times and several different cartridges... no boom.

So, after a bit of playing around I figured out that the firing pin was for some reason not protruding through the bolt face when fired.

On the side of the rear bolt shroud (which houses the firing pin and safety) I noticed a small roll pin, and another identically sized small empty hole next to it. So I got to wondering... is there is supposed to be another roll pin in that second hole and if for some reason it was seated to deeply and wound up inside the bolt shroud and interfering with the firing pin?

Took the firing pin out of the shroud..(tricky) and there it was, a small plug for the hole in the shroud! I reinstalled the firing pin (MUCH trickier than removal!) installed the plug in it's proper hole, flipped the safety to the fired position and BINGO!!! Problem solved! :D

So that was the only problem, minor as it turned out to be I was very dissapointed there for a bit.

But after today's session at the range I am head over heels for this new Winchester! The 338 barks (even with muffs on) but its is actually no sharper in terms of felt recoil than my synthetic stocked Remington 700 ADL chambered in 270. I attribute this to the very well functioning Pachmeyr Deccelerator recoil pad and the fact that the rifle has some weight to it.

Biggest differences I notice about my new Winchester compared to the 700 ADL I have been using for the last 8 years or so is that it is significantly heavier, and the barrel seems a mile long! It has a 26" bbl compared to the 22" on the Remmy. 4" doesn't sound like much, but when you are used to the handling characteristics of a 22" bbl and then walk through the woods with a 26", it feels like a huge difference!

Hunted with it for the first time tonight..came close to bagging a deer too but I could not take the shot for safety reasons. That would have been so cool to bag a deer first time out with it!

Bottom line: Overall, I am more than happy with this new rifle and have zero regrets.

Slingblade
11-22-2014, 11:48 PM
Very Cool. I've been waiting for a shoot report. I've never owned a caliber that large, but I kinda want one.

Interesting on the firing pin. The last rifle I bought off gunbroker, a new in the box CZ .223, the clip would not feed right, like it was pinched on one end.

We took it apart and just like yours it was missing a roll pin, which acted as a spacer in the receiver. Replaced that and it was fine.

It makes me think some people are selling rejects or returns as new guns, without fixing them.

Either way, you did like me and just fixed it. Less Hassle. I love the new addition, now we just need a kill report. And a pic of the exit wound...

RIDE-RED 250r
11-23-2014, 09:33 AM
A little more detail on that little plug that caused so much trouble at first: It is only about 3/16" long and has 4 little stake marks on one end that aid in holding it securely in place when seated. I think it may have been installed backwards so the gripping stakes were pushed through and it just fell inside, possibly during shipping. I noticed that it slides into the hole quite easily until those stakes make contact....

It shoots remarkably smooth for the caliber. Reloading tables I have been looking at state that it is capable of launching a 225gr projectile to just a whisker under 3000fps, which is very close the max that a 270 will send a 130gr projectile! :D Sure, there are nastier 338's out there, IE: the 338 Lapua, 338-378 Weatherby Mag, 338 RUM and so on... But I really didn't want the shorter barrel life that comes with 3200fps+ velocity.... With the velocities some of these "ultra" mags, you are looking at 1000 round barrel life or less. For me the 338 WM is just right. :)

I love making the thunder roll with this rifle!

jays375
11-23-2014, 09:50 AM
If you are shooting deer you need light bullets.Those 225gr bullets are gong to punch a hole and that is it.So unless you make a perfect shot,things are going to be tough.For what you paid for that gun I would have been pissed it didn't fire.There is no excuse other than poor manufacturing.Did you contact the seller?

RIDE-RED 250r
11-23-2014, 11:55 AM
If you are shooting deer you need light bullets.Those 225gr bullets are gong to punch a hole and that is it.So unless you make a perfect shot,things are going to be tough.For what you paid for that gun I would have been pissed it didn't fire.There is no excuse other than poor manufacturing.Did you contact the seller?

Very much in agreement with you here on all points.

As to bullet weight: yes, the heavier bullets are touted to be of more rugged construction, as expected for the type of use they are intended for. I do plan to handload and run the lighter stuff 185-225gr range. It seems the 185's are about as light as they come for 338 cal. I am only using the 225's now because this ammo is like hens teeth around here.

I have read some information that implies that the 338 favors bullet weights of 200-250gr for best accuracy. I plan to do my own testing with hand loads once I get tooled and supplied to get started. My goal is to figure out what bullet is most accurate and make an informed decision on the balance of accuracy and weight (as weight relates to performance and destructive power it inflicts on the target) If she groups as tight or close to as tight as these 225's at 100yds with 185's then it will be an easy decision. But that's the whole game...every rifle is different and has different preferences on load recipes....

As to the malfunction: I was very dissapointed, no doubt. I did call Browning (the corporate umbrella that Winchester now resides under) and they were quick to send me a shipping label to return it for warrantee, no questions asked. Contacting the seller would have been a dead end as this matter needed to be handled directly by the factory as with many things like this. Fortunately for me it was a relatively easy fix, so no harm, no foul.

As with anything mass produced there can be small issues like this that make it through QC. And as with pretty much everything mass produced I am sure they don't test fire each piece that comes off the line. Batch testing is a manufacturing norm.. maybe they pull 1 out of 100 for live testing..maybe it's 1 of 1000. But I do know this practice is widely used throughout industry. I'm not blindly making excuses, I just accept the fact that these things can happen with anything we buy at almost any price... I'm just glad it was a simple fix. :)

plastikosmd
11-23-2014, 07:36 PM
Thx red for advise. Black is easy, but cleaning that pretty gun= not. Found some load data, somewhere around. 60g of 3031. Sounds stout. Good luck w yours, how is recoil?

RIDE-RED 250r
11-24-2014, 06:15 PM
Well, the recoil on the m70 338WM is stout but very manageable if one utilizes good shooting technique. This rifle is heavy as rifles go, 8lbs 8oz according to Winchester's specs. Add the scope and mounting hardware and it is easily well over 9lbs. The Pachmayr Decellerator recoil pad helps alot too.

Would I want to fire a cartridge like this out of my Remmy 700 ADL with a 22"bbl and synthetic stock??? NO!