PDA

View Full Version : Good atc/atv boots?

Samjp22
11-15-2014, 04:39 AM
Currently i have some fly mx boots and when im riding my R id like to have a bit more play in the ankles so its not such a pain to switch gears and brake. Wondering if anyone make boots specifically for atc/atv riding instead of the typical dirtbike boot? Or has anyone found a dirtbike with decent amount of play?

Samjp22
11-15-2014, 05:22 AM
204548 anyone where shorty boots? seem like theyd be better

Red Rider
11-15-2014, 06:25 AM
I just got a pair of Fox Instinct mx boots and I absolutely love them. They have pretty decent mobility in the ankle due to a hinge there and are way more comfortable than my previous boots, which were some Alpinestar Vector mx boots. I never did try on any of the shorty boots, because I prefer a little more protection for my shins, so I can't say anything good or bad about them, but most seemed pretty stiff when I tried flexing them in the store. I did like the fact that they were considerably lighter when compared to the typical mx boot though.

In my boot search, I did try some Fly boots as well. They were probably my second favorite. They were a decent, lightweight, nicely styled, and inexpensive boot. It's definitely a trade off, trying to find boots with good mobility and protection as well. The Fox boots were quite a bit more expensive, but due to the superior comfort, I felt they were well worth it, especially after wearing the Alpinestars for many years, and they're still as stiff as the day I bought them.

Samjp22
11-15-2014, 06:46 AM
Those instinct boots are EXPENSIVE though lol... 540$ my feet are done growing though and im not too hard on gear. how do you find the sizing of fox boots? are they pretty accurate to shoe sizing or better to order +/- a size?

BOB MARLIN
11-15-2014, 09:38 AM
I wear the shorty boots and like them allot. My full size mx boots would dig into the backside of my knee when sitting on a trike and become very uncomfortable.

manbearpig
11-15-2014, 09:47 AM
a fellow racer had the foot peg impale his shin just above the top of his boot this year. His boots werent as short as the "shorty" boots, but werent as tall as a traditional MX boot.

food for thought

Red Rider
11-15-2014, 02:59 PM
Those instinct boots are EXPENSIVE though lol... 540$ my feet are done growing though and im not too hard on gear. how do you find the sizing of fox boots? are they pretty accurate to shoe sizing or better to order +/- a size?When I was visiting family down in Southern California last month, I made a trip to Chaparral Cycle Supply because they have a huge selection of boots in stock (much better selection than what I could find in Las Vegas). Without looking at price, I started trying on everything that popped up on my internet search as being a comfortable mx boot. For me the, the Instinct boot was the most comfortable, and just like the internet reviews said, they run a size small. I wear a size 13 shoe and needed a size 14 boot. Luckily for me, Chaparral happened to be having a sale that weekend and the black or white Instinct boots were on sale for $299. They were the last of the 2014 models and they were trying to get rid of their stock to make room for the 2015's.

Samjp22
11-15-2014, 06:00 PM
I'd like to try on a variety of boots to see what I find most comfortable, reviews on the shorty boots seem good but I like the full length boots.. Gonna have to find somewhere close by that supply's boots. Our local Honda dealer only has like three kinds

Red Rider
11-16-2014, 02:14 AM
That's the same problem I had. Internet reviews are great and all, but for a pair of boots that I plan on owning and wearing for many years, I want to be able to try them on and see how they fit me personally before I buy them. Once you know what brand, model, and size you prefer, I would have no problem ordering a pair via the internet.

Samjp22
11-16-2014, 03:30 AM
yeah now my challenge is finding a store around here that carries a good variety of boots :wondering one of the cons of living up here...

Red Rider
11-16-2014, 01:21 PM
Yeah I feel your pain. Good luck with the search.