PDA

View Full Version : 2 350x's

Pendl303
11-16-2014, 08:26 PM
Hey guys I just purchased two 85 350x's, one is in great running condition with a 10-x high comp piston and I believe a stock cam. The plastics are a little beat up and it needs new rear bearing which I have.

Now onto the second one, plastics are in great shape and it was stated that it hadn't run in about a year. Now when I went to kick this one over it was very hard, almost to the point where I wouldn't want to kick it In fear of breaking it. Both decompression cables seem to have roughly the same slack and both cables are intact. As I kicked it over a couple times it did become a little easier and it fired up and within a second or two stalled out.

I then smelled gas and realized it is spewing out of the drain tube, I quickly grab a screwdriver and give the carb a couple taps with hopes the float is stuck, well, no luck. I killed the valve and had a nice pool of gas under the trike. I pulled the carb and found almost nothing, very little grime. I used carb cleaner and a air gun and got it looking great. The plunger and float looked in good condition, so I put it all back together and turned on the fuel. Within a few seconds out comes the gas just as fast.
I could get a rebuild kit, but I am just not sure if that's what I need. I do have another used 350x carb that I am going to try but I know that one has been sitting in a box for probably 20yrs and I am not sure of its condition.

Let me know what you guys think

Thanks

Hasteranger
11-16-2014, 09:44 PM
Is the needle valve seating? Did you take it out and clean it?

Jmoozy27
11-16-2014, 10:42 PM
It doesn't take much for that needle not to seat. Blow air through each orface directly you may not be able to see the crap causing this.

Pendl303
11-16-2014, 11:03 PM
Is the needle valve seating? Did you take it out and clean it?

I didn't take the seat out, it looked very clean.

jmoozy27- i did try to blow through everything on the first carb. But I just actually put in the other spare carb to see if it would work. The inside of this one actually seemed cleaner, but to no aval I put it together and out came pouring gas.
On a good note this carb allowed the trike to idle but a little throttle would stall the motor.

You guys think the plunger is not seating on both of them?

Hasteranger
11-16-2014, 11:05 PM
Wait it ran, but was also leaking gas out of the vent tubes?

I think it's possible the needle valve isn't sealing in both, or the float isn't properly adjusted. Even if there was a leaking gasket or something, if the needle valve and float are working properly the fuel will shut off when the bowl fills.

Pendl303
11-16-2014, 11:11 PM
Wait it ran, but was also leaking gas out of the vent tubes?

I think it's possible the needle valve isn't sealing in both, or the float isn't properly adjusted. Even if there was a leaking gasket or something, if the needle valve and float are working properly the fuel will shut off when the bowl fills.

I waited for the gas to stop leaking before trying to fire it up with the gas valve off. It would idle but any extra gas given it would go to stall. I only ran it for 20 seconds as I knew the bowl was probably the only thing full.

Is what I am calling the plunger that's attached to the float actually called a needle valve? Sorry

Hasteranger
11-16-2014, 11:29 PM
Yeah that's what I've always heard them called. A lot of times you pull them out and they are crusty or gummy so they stick open or closed, or they or the seat are just plain worn out. It's very common especially on carbs that sat with gas in them for a while.

f76
11-16-2014, 11:31 PM
Yes that is that needle valve. Check the pointy tip for any imperfections or ring worn into it. It may look fine to you but can be faulty. A carb rebuild kit will include a new needle and should hopefully solve the problem.

Jmoozy27
11-16-2014, 11:52 PM
I usually blow air directly into the spout where your fuel line connects. That should go directly into where the needle seats and remove any trash from the seat. Also check the needle tip as described above.

Pendl303
11-17-2014, 12:01 AM
Okay thanks guys I will check on the spare carb I have out, maybe snap a couple pictures tomorrow and post them up.

I thought they looked clean but like your saying it kind of has to be the float or needle valve if gas just comes dumping out. I don't know if this helps anymore but if I plug the drain line that's leaking with my finger it works it's way out the other two higher up drain pipes after a couple seconds

Pickup_man
11-17-2014, 01:46 PM
Another thing to do while it's apart is to check the float. Here's a lin (http://www.ehow.com/how_7676183_check-carburetor-float.html)k describing how to do it because I'm feeling too lazy to write it all haha. http://www.ehow.com/how_7676183_check-carburetor-float.html . Also be sure to check the float height, it doesn't seem like something that should matter much, but it makes a big difference.

Pendl303
11-17-2014, 04:12 PM
Okay I checked both floats yesterday and both floated and had no sign of gas inside. I didn't realize we could adjust the 350x float, sorry for my ignorance. I am slowly but surely trying to become more of a mechanic

Pendl303
11-22-2014, 10:42 PM
Okay so after cleaning and cleaning it seals ometimes when giving the carb a solid wack or two but most of the time it will dribble out.

I just received the rebuild kit and since it runs okay but just leaks should I just replace the needle valve?

Jmoozy27
11-23-2014, 12:51 AM
I would definetly give it a shot. You don't want the trike to catch fire or something even worse to happen. Also, I don't see why it would not fix the problem.

Pendl303
11-23-2014, 01:09 PM
Seems like it stopped leaking, but I'll keep you guys updated. How are the cobra exhausts? I received basically another 350x in parts and in it was a cobra exhaust.

I also noticed I have a wobble that feels like the rear end. But the rear carrier bearings aren't in the worst shape, I guess it could be coming from the front end

Jmoozy27
11-23-2014, 03:02 PM
Cobras are ok. Some people don't like them because they are loud. I have one on my 250es and it is loud but I don't mind. Performance wise it is a little upgrade, especially if you have the header pipe to go with it. You may need to rejet your carb if you used an aftermarket pipe.

As for the wobble it sounds like a bent rim or axle. Make sure the pressure in the tires are identical.

Pendl303
11-23-2014, 04:59 PM
Okay thanks, I also noticed this 350 has axle spacers. Could that potentially be my wobble?

rdonald1979
11-23-2014, 07:57 PM
Lift the bike up on a stand of some sort and spin the rear that should tell you what is bent or wobbling.

Pendl303
11-23-2014, 08:33 PM
There seems like there is left to right play In the axle

Simple Man
11-25-2014, 12:48 AM
A wobble in the rear end could be a bent axle. Check for that before taking things apart.

Pendl303
11-25-2014, 10:06 AM
Okay the axle doesn't seem to be bent, but it has hub spacers ? and with just the hubs the nut won't tighten down on the wheel because with these hubs it seems like it needs the spacer. So for shits and giggles I took the spacer off and put the hub on first with the spacer in between the wheel and nut, the shaken went down significantly?