PDA

View Full Version : honda 185 engine swap help?!?

foxyshazzam
11-18-2014, 12:33 PM
Hey guys! I'm new to the forum (posting wise) and am in need of some help. I have an 81 Honda 185 atc and it needs a new engine. the crank bolt is stripped to the max to where even tap and dies can't help. I purchased a replacement engine on eBay for $168us and fedex DESTROYED it in transit. Now I'm down and out a lot of time and money trying to get this beast running and was wondering what will fit in the cycle. I can't find any 200s or 200x running motors for under $250 anymore. I did find an 87 fourtrax 250sx motor and wondered how compatible they are. honestly I'm just looking for suggestions on what to do since I've owned the trike for 6 months now and still haven't been able to ride it. Any input is greatly appreciated! oh, and btw **** fedex!

Trike_crazy
11-18-2014, 12:51 PM
How badly destroyed is the replacement engine you bought? From the sound of it you could take the 2 and built yourself 1 good engine. A gasket set and maybe a set of rings and you could be up and running in no time. Just get yourself a proper manual and take your time. 185/200 engines are pretty easy to rebuild.

foxyshazzam
11-18-2014, 01:03 PM
the (flywheel) side of the case is smashed and the flywheel is stuck on the crank. I can't get a puller in the flywheel. I've tried a two jaw puller and all it does is break the claws. I'll try to get pics tonight. The worst part was that it was in great shape aside from the damage.