PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha 225 choke/starting issue

YtmLp
11-27-2014, 11:47 PM
I just got my very first trike (84 yamaha 225) it was kind of a basket case missing many things. One main thing I'm having a problem with is the choke cable. I'm missing the whole thing no plunger on carb either. Anyone have a idea on where I could get these parts and a little info on how to install onto carb. Also the electric start will just turn the motor over and not start it but I can pull the rope once and it will fire, does this have to do with the choke or some other problem?

El Camexican
11-28-2014, 12:27 AM
If the choke assembly is missing from the carb and is open to air don't try to start it till you get it fixed. If you must start it for just a moment, soak a piece of rag in oil and stuff it into the hole to plug it.

YtmLp
11-28-2014, 12:36 AM
The choke plunger / spring is missing it is currently capped off and when I unscrew it, it looks like something is down in the hole I've heard of the choke getting stuck but this has no spring attached to it.

muthey
11-29-2014, 02:52 AM
sounds like the plunger is still in there and the previous owner broke the cable off trying to get it out. take a picture of it. Also the cable can be found on e-bay, it is called a starter cable, yes I know has nothing to do with the starter but that is what it is called. I would have to look at one of my housings to double check if there is a way to force the plunger out without the cable attached. I think there is but not certain at the moment, it's been awhile since I've had to clean my carbs.

Jmoozy27
11-29-2014, 01:43 PM
As for the e-start, my 200 did the same thing. I replaced the starter but you can rebuild it. I got a cheap starter and solenoid for $60 delivered and it works fine. Make sure you have the proper battery as well.

YtmLp
11-29-2014, 07:08 PM
The starter seems to work fine it cranks over and over the motor just won't start, is that the same issue you had?

YtmLp
11-29-2014, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the advice know any way to get the plunger out. I will take a picture when I have time.

Jmoozy27
11-29-2014, 08:52 PM
Yes it would turn the motor just not fast enough to actually start it. New starter same battery fired right up. It was just weak I guess. What do you mean by plunger?

Hasteranger
11-29-2014, 09:21 PM
Needle nose pliers. Spray penetrant around it. Heat from a heat gun may help. Mine was stuck but penetrant freed it up and I was able to get it loose.

Jmoozy27
11-30-2014, 12:47 AM
Oh the choke... Short term memory loss is killing me. Yes do all of the above but add a shop rag, a vise, and a small set of vise grips. Also shooting with compressed air can blow it out of there if you can get to the other end of the orface.

muthey
11-30-2014, 04:00 PM
going to add a pic for you of the only area able to be picked at other than the entry to the plunger, lost of penetrating oil and a small but strong screwdriver or pick and you should be able to get it out. There are 4 pathways leading to the plunger, if you need I will take a picture of them all for you, but pulling the carb and opening it up you should be able to trace them all your self fairly easy.

Trike_crazy
12-02-2014, 09:44 AM
To get the plunger out I would completely strip the carb and use a bit of heat on the body of the carb where the plunger is some penetrating oil to loosen the plunger up. Then use a pair of needle nose pliers and a small tip straight screwdriver to twist and pull plunger out. It takes a bit of time especially if the piece is really stuck in there. Ive done 2 dx carbs like that. Just dont scratch the walls when you are trying to get the plunger out. All of the parts you for the plunger you can buy and for a carburetor rebuild kit just use one for a yamaha 250 timberwolf, just use your old jets because the timberwolf ones are different . And if you need a choke cable use the one from the timberwolf as I believe the dx cable is discontinued.

This is a timberwolf carb I rebuilt for my dx. They are basically the same other than the jet sizes

YtmLp
12-03-2014, 08:30 AM
So back to my main question I would like some more suggestions about the electric start, I know moody said it was the starter but any other ideas it sure sounds like the thing is turning over very strong.

muthey
12-04-2014, 03:28 AM
check your spark with the electric, sometimes it is a bad connection, other times it is a bad spot on the stator and flywheel

Trevor58
02-03-2016, 12:58 AM
Hey so if someone could shed some light on my problem here...so my tri moto 125 will start and idle fine (without the choke even being threaded into the carb) but the second I go to thread the choke in my trike dies out ?!? Can anyone help with this I cannot figure it out

muthey
02-04-2016, 01:28 AM
Trevor58 you need to check your carb setting on the mix screw I'm going to guess that they are off, or it is the wrong plunger style there are two different types. one has a needle coming out the center the other is flat bottomed.

Trevor58
02-04-2016, 04:55 PM
Ok we'll I do have a flat bottom style choke but I we told it should work ? And as for settings I have my airscrew1.5 out I've tried 2 and no difference

muthey
02-05-2016, 01:25 AM
looks like the plunger on your choke is wrong it is supposed to have the needle coming out of the center, also make sure the rubber boot that goes over the end is intact, as I have had issues before where it sucks in air and cause issues.

Trevor58
02-05-2016, 01:21 PM
OK well I get that but as soon as you put anything near the choke hole it dies like even if I had one with the needle...as soon as I even put my finger near the choke the motor wants to stop...it seems to be that it's sucking way to much air through the choke hole and I've been through the carb and my air filter/boot is not plugged so I have no idea what's going on...I'm ready to light this trike on fire

shovelryder
02-05-2016, 01:33 PM
Still something in the carb. First thing is to get the correct parts for that carb.....Dont do "should work".....Get whats made for it. Until it has the right parts you cant diagnose it.