PDA

View Full Version : illegal to ride atv's on private property

YTZ drew
12-03-2014, 11:55 PM
As part of one of my college courses (working on my bachelor's at 36) I have to deliver an 8 minute informative speech. I chose to do mine on atv laws, and discovered this while doing the research. Apparently its now illegal in Millheim, Centre County PA, to ride atvs even on your own private property. I think this is absolutely disgusting, and I'm wondering if anyone here had heard of this? I am outraged.

Here's a link to the actual ordinance, and a couple of news reels on the topic:

http://www.millheimborough.net/Lists/News%20and%20Announcements/Attachments/48/ATV%20Ordinance.pdf

http://www.wearecentralpa.com/story/d/story/neighbors-fighting-over-atv-ban/37093/EODi6fqCYEaqibap4vRVWg

http://www.wearecentralpa.com/story/d/story/residents-hoping-to-change-atv-ordinance/53908/JZVekH9gFU60kNChTu-1qA

El Camexican
12-04-2014, 12:22 AM
As part of one of my college courses (working on my bachelor's at 36) I have to deliver an 8 minute informative speech. I chose to do mine on atv laws, and discovered this while doing the research. Apparently its now illegal in Millheim, Centre County PA, to ride atvs even on your own private property. I think this is absolutely disgusting, and I'm wondering if anyone here had heard of this? I am outraged.

Here's a link to the actual ordinance, and a couple of news reels on the topic:

http://www.millheimborough.net/Lists/News%20and%20Announcements/Attachments/48/ATV%20Ordinance.pdf

http://www.wearecentralpa.com/story/d/story/neighbors-fighting-over-atv-ban/37093/EODi6fqCYEaqibap4vRVWg

http://www.wearecentralpa.com/story/d/story/residents-hoping-to-change-atv-ordinance/53908/JZVekH9gFU60kNChTu-1qA

Easily resolved, thank you Section 4.

Join the volunteer Fire Department, put a flashing red light on your helmet, light a small fire in the center of your property and enjoy the ride to get to and asses the fire... and you wonder why I thought school was a waste of my time:D

YTZ drew
12-04-2014, 09:33 PM
Easily resolved, thank you Section 4 :D

You, sir, are a genius! Really, thanks for that, this week has been kind of a drag, and that made me laugh out loud (not a common occurrence)!

El Camexican
12-04-2014, 11:05 PM
Good luck on your degree. Education benefits us all:beer

Mosh
12-05-2014, 10:13 AM
Constitutional rights always will trump local ordinances if you are willing to take it to court after a citation. Your rights state you have the right an liberty to transport yourself or family by whatever means are needed for whatever reason.
Those townspeople need to be calling the ACLU.
About the only thing the city can implement is a noise limit or curfew on that noise.

redsox
12-05-2014, 10:56 AM
we need an Al Sharpton... wait, what? seriously though, there is no way this holds up if contested. in fact, i thought for sure you were mistaken before i read the linked articles. i said to myself, "he must have misread or misunderstood." But its crystal clear. And it is cow dung. Where are the manufacturers on this? are they so afraid of the CPSC that they just lay low and take the little punches, hoping to avoid the knockout? or, do they just not know/care? The government is a dangerous thing. one thing that i picked up on in the newspaper article is that this "legislation" (for lack of a better term) was modeled after what was already in place in a neighboring county. thats bad news. its spreading. if it just gets ignored, and becomes the norm, and is harder to fight. gotta be a lawyer on here somewhere. wanna send a letter?

PS- 1. i think this would be fine to post in trikesylvania

2. Kind of nice (in a weird way) that 3 wheelers got a nod in the ban. At least we're not totally forgotten.

Billy Golightly
12-05-2014, 11:42 AM
Most city and even county noise ordinances are written in such a way it is code violation to mow your grass, since the noise emitted from your property line is greater than the typical average noise level per hour.

Regulation nation!

briano
12-05-2014, 01:19 PM
In most states a local unit of gubmint can't go above state law, being county, city or township. So chances are if it's not a state law then there is no way for it to hold up in court. I'd push the issue, mostly because I'm damn tired of being told what I can and cannot do on my own property.

YTZ drew
12-05-2014, 06:43 PM
Good luck on your degree. Education benefits us all:beer
Thanks El. I started taking classes 2 years ago, and its a slow process while your employed full time plus have a family, but I'm getting there.

As far as challenging this ordinance in court, I guess the residents would have to hire a lawyer. I tend to wonder what would happen if more people became aware, and started bombarding the local legislation with letters expressing some "constructive criticism".

350XJEDI
12-05-2014, 08:33 PM
:rolleyes:Thats the dumbest regulation and a obvious infringement of personal property rights. If i lived there i would fight it . Communist must run that county!

tri again
12-12-2014, 02:10 AM
There is a guy in S Oregon who did jail time for 'collecting' rainwater.
I think he may have actually dug a pond on his acreage but the point was, he was NOT allowed
to change the natural course of precipitation or some bs.

In this firestorm ravaged western range country, the fire dept will actually fill your swimming pools for free
so they have water to tap into and love to see ponds scattered about.

coolpool
12-16-2014, 11:23 AM
Its funny how by-laws can get quitely changed once they hit the courts and someone points out how dumb they are. Our ban on riding licenced and insured ATV's in the City got squashed after local residents voiced outrage after a good samaritan was fined for plowing driveways and sidewalks with his quad. Now we can ride if a few simple rules are followed. The Mayor was talking to me at a show'n'shine about my trikes. He said a few residents want all ATV's banned in the City; I mentioned they should move to Toronto if they want to live in a nanny environment! He agreed:beer

sweetip2000
12-25-2014, 12:56 AM
More laws. Soon to be full blown martial law. Get your riding in while you can because the shirt house is gonna go up in flames real soon son.

phantombiker
12-28-2014, 06:48 AM
if marshal hits, we're fudged!! ride on, brothers!!!