PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me?

bkm
12-07-2014, 12:50 AM
Or has the traffic around here dramatically slowed over the last few months/ half a year?

cochran
12-07-2014, 01:25 AM
Increase in activity on the Facebook trike pages I assume had something to do with it.

El Camexican
12-07-2014, 01:41 AM
Or has the traffic around here dramatically slowed over the last few months/ half a year?

It does seem that way. Barnett was 25% of the posts and where the heck is Howdy?

bkm
12-07-2014, 01:46 AM
Lots of longer tenured members no longer post. There seemed to be 10 builds going on at once just a few years ago.

slashfan7964
12-07-2014, 02:15 AM
Yeah the Facebook groups have gotten real popular and there are more three wheeler pages than I can count. The Honda ATC page by itself has close to 10,000 members alone. I assume its probably because if the ease of use. Everyone's life and interests are compiled to one place.

I have tried to generate a little network traffic with linking front page posts to our FB page but it goes in waves.

ama009
12-07-2014, 02:54 AM
I thought that maybe the older members on here didn't post as much but just visit. I get on regularly but don't post much. Never thought about the fb pages being a threat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

slashfan7964
12-07-2014, 03:55 AM
I'd go as far to say I think there is more three wheeler based pages than quads quite honestly. There has to be a least 100 or more that I have "liked". My feed is crawling with three wheelers every time I log on. Not a bad thing but I do wish we'd get a little more traffic here.

jakep53
12-07-2014, 08:03 AM
I have been here under a year so havn't noticed a drop but I get 3 pages of unread threads everytime I log on and I read every single one!

jays375
12-07-2014, 08:59 AM
All forums seem to slack off from time to time.Plus certain times of the year slow them down.Plus guys need to build some funds back up.

just ben
12-07-2014, 09:22 AM
and where the heck is Howdy? diaper duty would be my guess LOL

Billy Golightly
12-07-2014, 10:35 AM
Combination of Drama, Facebook, and the weather. Winter months people are inside more.

Mickey Dunlap
12-07-2014, 10:46 AM
I just made a FB page Monday and between Mickey Dunlap and Four Stroke Tech page it's a little overwhelming, maybe too much traffic.

Mosh
12-07-2014, 11:01 AM
You are right. There used to be like above 700-1000 member logins a day. It has been as low as below 300 lately.Many people that left for more reasons than facebook. Money, age, lifestyle changes, etc. This was a small niche to begin with and even 10k trike members on a facebook page is nothing compared to gun forums or hunting forums that get 22k active members daily. Just a shear interest number wise..
Many differences that sent some people packing could have maybe been avoided but the best thing to do is move forward and learn from mistakes. Some trouble makers that brought in supposed traffic here are now gone but, are still on FB starting crap with people. Then there is the peanut gallery that hangs out for the show that follow that entertainment. Who wants to hang out on any forum with no drama or fighting?
The main draw to FB for those types is, they are free to run around like a rabid child in a candy shop with no supervision. That creates 2 benefits for the good people. 1 it really shows someones tru colors and 2 it gives the rest of us a place to avoid that nonsense like that by coming here.
That is not to say everyone on FB is like that, but forum trouble makers both here and other interest all have their fair share of expelled people that have taken a small amount of people with them as they have been banned or quit.
That sad thing is there has been a lot of collateral damage from that stuff too and it has taken away some very good people caught up in the storms.
My wife and I are burnt out for a host of reasons. Our hobbies have taken a major shift in interest. I have been selling off a lot of our extra stuff. We have also hit that age where other things in life start to take more importance than trying run 1000 different directions for the sport. We will always love riding and remember the true friends we made here though.
Society has really changed in the 10-15 years of forums too. I am really starting to see some internet attitudes that just sometimes makes me want to jerk the power panel off the wall in the basement and go back to living in a log cabin with a dirt floor 20 miles from anything.
The net was intended to be for knowledge and good will, but lately you look around at current events and have wonder if it is not becoming our largest WMD?

El Camexican
12-07-2014, 11:12 AM
diaper duty would be my guess LOL

Gee, sure hope he's changing them and not wearing them!

MIK6
12-07-2014, 11:18 AM
Been here since the beginning of 3ww.. watched the site grow and shrink over the years.. I remember when the chatroom was the best thing about the site.. the weeks befor the 1st few TFs there would be a full room almost all day!
things in the sport and in the world cycle, hopefully the site traffic goes back up.

w/o the site the big rides like TF and invasion and others would not have grown the way they did.. I think this site will still be strong even if it slows to a handful of dedicated members..

long live 3ww!!

Scootertrash
12-07-2014, 11:19 AM
Gee, sure hope he's changing them and not wearing them!

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing001.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php) http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing001.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

El, You owe me a keyboard! I read this as I was sipping on my Bailey's and coffee............

El Camexican
12-07-2014, 04:09 PM
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing001.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php) http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing001.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

El, You owe me a keyboard! I read this as I was sipping on my Bailey's and coffee............

I didn't think it was that funny, but I guess that "Depends" on the reader:lol: (Now I'm reaching)

I've only been on here a few years. I perused the site a few times while working on my 200, but what got me hooked on here was the personalities. Fabio in particular. He was a real prick about my pseudo KTM. Being a bit of a prick myself I enjoyed the banter. I don't often feel challenged when it come to a war of written words, so that was fun. Next thing I know I have a friend request from him. First one ever! The rest is history. He and a few others who's names disproportionately start with the letter "B" (weird eh?) are the best friends I've never met.

Most of my buddies back home couldn't write a one sentence email if their lives depended on it, so outside of my riding and hockey buddies down here you guys are the only English speaking people I know that like trikes, bikes, guns, politics, religion and whatever else and can all be found in the same place everyday.

Even if I never rode or owned another trike I'd still be found on here. I simply don't know of a tighter, more interesting Internet group. Looking forward to my Trikefest pilgrimage to put faces and handshakes to the names.

So why does activity seem down? I could list a half dozen names that were good for at least 3 posts a day that I've seen banished for reasons that are not mine to question, but aside from that lets face it, we ride dinosaurs and many of us are dinosaurs. Without new trikes for sale and new riders to buy them why would it ever grow beyond a small but dedicated group? It would be cool to see 100 new members here every week, but unless new trikes become available at the local Honda dealer, or Justin Beber joins the site I don't see it happening.

slashfan7964
12-07-2014, 04:39 PM
It would be cool to see 100 new members here every week, but unless new trikes become available at the local Honda dealer, or Justin Beber joins the site I don't see it happening.
Hehehehehe.

Heh.

Wait. You might be surprised.

tripledog
12-07-2014, 04:58 PM
Hehehehehe.

Heh.

Wait. You might be surprised.

Why? Have you been negotiating with the "Beebs"?

bkm
12-07-2014, 05:25 PM
This is the only internet place I actually care about and don't want to see in die off, but I'll also take quality over quantity any day. I miss the guys and their builds like dcreel, RoscoW, Tecat-Z, The Mosh's, and guys gals like them. I've met, typed, conversed with some of the greatest people ever. I've received well wishes from people I've never laid eyes on that I didn't receive from my own family. I think Mosh and our friend from south of the border really hit the nail on the head. I know we get to a point in our lives that interest/priorities change, and maybe we're going through one of those cycles. Mosh and El, I think what you said about rabble rousers bringing in the peanut gallery has a lot to do with it. Plus I'm sure there is the unseen drama going on like Billy eluded to. Three wheelers and racing have become a huge part of my life lately. As a kid I had one obtainable motorsport dream taken from me, and that was to race trikes. Fast forward 26-27 years and it's finally come true, but I'm afraid if participation doesn't pick up, it will be dead again, and seeing this place that was once an internet juggernaut slow down, has me scared.

slashfan7964
12-07-2014, 06:42 PM
Why? Have you been negotiating with the "Beebs"?

No but I have something up my sleeve. Just not spilling details because its a surprise and I don't want to get hopes up if it doesn't work.

@bkm

I don't think you have to worry about it slowing and disappearing. Racing is quite large on both costs, even having full season schedules and payouts etc.

El Camexican
12-07-2014, 06:48 PM
No but I have something up my sleeve. Just not spilling details because its a surprise and I don't want to get hopes up if it doesn't work.

@bkm

I don't think you have to worry about it slowing and disappearing. Racing is quite large on both costs, even having full season schedules and payouts etc.

Let's be perfectly clear here Slash. If the Beeb ends up on 3WW I'm outta here faster than you can change radio stations!

slashfan7964
12-07-2014, 08:53 PM
Let's be perfectly clear here Slash. If the Beeb ends up on 3WW I'm outta here faster than you can change radio stations!

Oh don't worry, I don't have the time or patience for that "thing" you refer to as "Bieber".

RIDE-RED 250r
12-07-2014, 10:05 PM
This is the only internet place I actually care about and don't want to see in die off, but I'll also take quality over quantity any day. I miss the guys and their builds like dcreel, RoscoW, Tecat-Z, The Mosh's, and guys gals like them. I've met, typed, conversed with some of the greatest people ever. I've received well wishes from people I've never laid eyes on that I didn't receive from my own family. I think Mosh and our friend from south of the border really hit the nail on the head. I know we get to a point in our lives that interest/priorities change, and maybe we're going through one of those cycles. Mosh and El, I think what you said about rabble rousers bringing in the peanut gallery has a lot to do with it. Plus I'm sure there is the unseen drama going on like Billy eluded to. Three wheelers and racing have become a huge part of my life lately. As a kid I had one obtainable motorsport dream taken from me, and that was to race trikes. Fast forward 26-27 years and it's finally come true, but I'm afraid if participation doesn't pick up, it will be dead again, and seeing this place that was once an internet juggernaut slow down, has me scared.

Right there with you on this point!

I agree that the FB groups are probably a sizable factor in slower traffic here. I follow a couple, but I seldom participate.. Why??... Because of the drama and BS. I happen to appreciate the efforts that go into the moderation of this forum, it seems to me that it is a good balance of allowing folks to speak their minds while maintaining a level of decency. FB is full of keyboard Rambos and self appointed experts that don't know a 2nd gen 200x from a 1st gen and there is virtually no moderation. There is some quality there, but not nearly as high a ratio as it is here.

Another factor I think for alot of us is hunting season. I have been spending alot of my free time in the woods and not spending as much time online lately. I still usually swing in once a day, but not multiple times a day like I do other times of the year.

I don't think you have to worry too much about this place.. just the ebb and flow of things.

fabiodriven
12-07-2014, 11:00 PM
Traffic is uber slow lately, slowest I've ever seen. Fakebook sucks, 'nuff said about that.

ironchop
12-07-2014, 11:57 PM
1) Facebook....as soon as all my favorite atv, gun, custom bike and car forums got FB pages, it killed their regular forums.
2) Changing fads.....ppl get bored with a "scene" and they move on and look for the next fad (rat rods, rockabilly, custom bikes, kustom kulture in general) ....the scenesters move on and things return to core talent and focus.
3) Life......it still rules the day over the digital ether and sometimes ppl just change priorities

This has been my observation.

I used to think drama played a big part but FB is nothing but drama and posturing so Im not sure why it still survives being worse than any internet forum I have ever belonged to.

slashfan7964
12-08-2014, 01:30 PM
I must say some of the moderation on the FB groups is pitiful. People will argue until they are blue in the face that their 87 200X is not a 83.

Dirtcrasher
12-08-2014, 04:41 PM
I've been pretty busy and the posts are answered before I get on here; No need for repeating it. I also haven't had many questions of my own.

5 years ago I could find 10 posts that weren't addressed and I could try to help; Now there's allot of people that can help someone accurately.

So, I just watch the board and builds....

oldskool83
12-08-2014, 05:31 PM
I watch don't post much anymore, kind of over posting a lot, guess the thrill is gone. I'd rather be out riding or in the garage or on CL buying machines.

83ATC185
12-08-2014, 05:45 PM
Ive been on here for 4 years i think, ill know when i post this...but i never post much just read and learn and dream and watch peoples builds. There is an unbelievable amount of knowledge and innovation and information on this site. It is very deep. I will also say that this is one place where you can go on the internet without being part of a worldwide argument. So i stay on here, read up, and ask about a problem if i cant find an answer on here somewhere. I was thinking to myself the other day, i should get myself a 4 wheeler and a newer car (its a 1985 Tempo, it doesn't get much more 80s than that) and quit trying to fool with all this junk. Then i hit the shop with some new ideas thanks to yall, and fixed what was wrong and the satisfaction i get from working on 3 wheelers is close to how i feel riding them. So the world can find something better to do, and ill be on here or in the shop doing my thing.

350XJEDI
12-09-2014, 04:01 AM
:rolleyes:I don't do Facebook or Twitter, didn't have Internet for awhile,
and have to borrow my granddaughters tablet to visit ,but i love this site:D:D
my hoard of trikes changes but rarely gets smaller
just scored my 3rd 350x and will try to post some updated pics to my album, :wondering
zero computer skills:beer:w00t: are more my skill :lol:

350XJEDI
12-09-2014, 04:05 AM
:rolleyes:I sometimes prowl on here wihout signing in from my Dum smartphone:beer:w00t::w00t:

oldskool83
12-09-2014, 09:52 AM
I do not have facebook but if I want a post a 3wheeler topic or ask a question this is the place I feel. Why because I met allow of guys localish that really know things and have helped me out. I think older members may just be getting tried of posting. I got tired of the rants and flames by members with only a few postings. When I have something really great to post up like I build I will, right now I am just not able to really post anymore builds...cant build them if you can't store them.

Billy Golightly
12-12-2014, 01:27 PM
Received this in a Google newsletter this morning, thought I would share;

One of the reasons I've been pushing to try and come up with some sort of a mobile solution or way to make the site more mobile friendly. And this, mobile tech, is the avenue where Facebook is unparalleled.

RIDE-RED 250r
12-12-2014, 02:40 PM
Received this in a Google newsletter this morning, thought I would share;

One of the reasons I've been pushing to try and come up with some sort of a mobile solution or way to make the site more mobile friendly. And this, mobile tech, is the avenue where Facebook is unparalleled.

I am on the Smith and Wesson forum (a pretty large and successful forum) as well and they have been using Tapatalk for a a while now with no complaints from those who use it that I can see. I have not yet taken to using it. When I am away from home, especially at work I just cannot be cruising my forums at any given time.

Im sure there are still a few of us who reserve our recreational forum cruising for the laptop at home. But nevertheless, the trend is undeniable.

Howdy
12-14-2014, 05:13 PM
It does seem that way. Barnett was 25% of the posts and where the heck is Howdy?

I have many reasons for not being around here.
#1) this laptop sucks on this site. It takes forever to type out anything. The auto save sucks!!!!
#2) I now have a daughter to take care of.

Update: Took 8 minutes to type this reply.

El Camexican
12-14-2014, 06:25 PM
I have many reasons for not being around here.
#1) this laptop sucks on this site. It takes forever to type out anything. The auto save sucks!!!!
#2) I now have a daughter to take care of.

Update: Took 8 minutes to type this reply.

Reason #2 is a valid one. Congrantulations:beer Be sure to post her first three wheeler ride!

robertc
12-15-2014, 10:48 PM
Facebook page is like the "Summers Eve" for this site, flushes out a lot of debris.

tripledog
12-15-2014, 11:10 PM
^^^ Ah, that dynamic duo of vinegar and water that is Facebook. I have never been on Facebook, my face is better suited for radio.

fabiodriven
12-30-2014, 12:08 AM
After having suffered a serious bout of Facebook for the last few weeks, I have come to my own conclusion about what's going on here. First of all, Facebook does have its advantages but I find the detrimental parts of it to be at least equal in size. I've been attempting to stave off a bit of depression lately that I can attribute to a number of things and I believe Facebook to be one of those things. So I stick to my original statement about Facebook and I feel it would certainly behoove me to go back to my prior usage of it, which was sparingly.

To get back to the original subject, I have noticed the huge numbers of people on that site who are members, just as I am, of a seemingly endless amount of trike related pages. I'm fairly certain it's gotten to the point where I get added to groups without even my own permission somehow. I'm not even sure how many groups I am a part of and each one has a lot of people who post regularly so there is a lot of traffic. There's your traffic loss there (if there is indeed a loss, seems really slow to me).

Far worse than the loss of traffic is the sheer stupidity on these Facebook pages. Incredibly mind boggling idiocy is what I've seen over the last few weeks. Just go on there now if you have Facebook and take a peek at some of the recent posts. If you know anything about our lifestyle (to them it's a hobby), you'll probably find something really, really stupid really fast. Apparently upwards of 80% of Facebook has a cousin that had an 87 ATC 350X. It's all the info we've been looking for, all we had to do was ask so they could tell us. It's been enough to make me want to delete my Facebook (again) but being single and trying to keep busy makes me think otherwise, but I certainly could tone it down again if I can get my head out of my ass (again).

Worse yet than both the traffic loss and the stupidity is the utter bull trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro talking, rumors, disparagement, name calling, disrespect, gossip, and just generally childish behavior that causes me to view people in a completely different light. People literally acting like whiney fricken little babies poking each other back and forth. It is absolutely disgusting and I even ended up getting caught up in a little myself but realized it immediately. It can be easy to get caught up in and it's just free for all. Most of the same characters in the same show, but new guys show up here and there to spice things up a bit. Will he side with this guy or this one? Who knows? Tune in next time!

If Facebook is your thing that's great. After having steered clear of it for such a long time and then going back again, I've had a really quick impression of what it is Facebook has to offer and I don't feel it's really much of a secret for most. Lots of people, but all kinds of people. Some good, some bad, some smart, some not. We've got everything here as well, but if you're stupid and you post the way do there it won't work out for you long. People are corrected and it's noted. On Facebook the facts are never straightened because you don't know who's who. If someone not in the know were to attempt to read up on something why wouldn't he believe Joe Shmoe when he says he has a barn full of 88 ATC 250R's? There's no guarantee he would listen to those correcting Joe in making that statement. Then he passes that info on and the line of ignorance is begun.

El Camexican
12-30-2014, 12:38 AM
After having suffered a serious bout of Facebook for the last few weeks, I have come to my own conclusion about what's going on here. First of all, Facebook does have its advantages but I find the detrimental parts of it to be at least equal in size. I've been attempting to stave off a bit of depression lately that can attribute to a number of things and I believe Facebook to be one of those things. So I stick to my original statement about Facebook and I feel it would certainly behoove me to go back to my prior usage of it, which was sparingly.

To get back to the original subject, I have noticed the huge numbers of people on that site who are members, just as I am, of a seemingly endless amount of trike related pages. I'm fairly certain it's gotten to the point where I get added to groups without even my own permission somehow. I'm not even sure how many groups I am a part of and each one has a lot of people who post regularly so there is a lot of traffic. There's your traffic loss there (if there is indeed a loss, seems really slow to me).

Far worse than the loss of traffic is the sheer stupidity on these Facebook pages. Incredibly mind boggling idiocy is what I've seen over the last few weeks. Just go on there now if you have Facebook and take a peek at some of the recent posts. If you know anything about our lifestyle (to them it's a hobby), you'll probably find something really, really stupid really fast. Apparently upwards of 80% of Facebook has a cousin that had an 87 ATC 350X. It's all the info we've been looking for, all we had to do was ask so they could tell us. It's been enough to make me want to delete my Facebook (again) but being single and trying to keep busy makes me think otherwise, but I certainly could tone it down again if I can get my head out of my ass (again).

Worse yet than both the traffic loss and the stupidity is the utter bull trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro talking, rumors, disparagement, name calling, disrespect, gossip, and just generally childish behavior that causes me to view people in a completely different light. People literally acting like whiney fricken little babies poking each other back and forth. It is absolutely disgusting and I even ended up getting caught up in a little myself but realized it immediately. It can be easy to get caught up in and it's just free for all. Most of the same characters in the same show, but new guys show up here and there to spice things up a bit. Will he side with this guy or this one? Who knows? Tune in next time!

If Facebook is your thing that's great. After having steered clear of it for such a long time and then going back again, I've had a really quick impression of what it is Facebook has to offer and I don't feel it's really much of a secret for most. Lots of people, but all kinds of people. Some good, some bad, some smart, some not. We've got everything here as well, but if you're stupid and you post the way do there it won't work out for you long. People are corrected and it's noted. On Facebook the facts are never straightened because you don't know who's who. If someone not in the know were to attempt to read up on something why wouldn't he believe Joe Shmoe when he says he has a barn full of 88 ATC 250R's? There's no guarantee he would listen to those correcting Joe in making that statement. Then he passes that info on and the line of ignorance is begun.

Yep, nothing brings out the inner azzhole in people like perceived anonymity. Wait a few more years till the new generation of ambulance chasing lawyers goes digital and all the lies and gossip that are permanently etched into cyber space become a million slander suits. As someone once said: "The larger the collective number of people in a group the lower their collective IQ becomes" Facebook proves that mathematical fact has no limit.

Ghostv2
12-30-2014, 12:52 AM
Sorry if I get off the current subject of Facebook...

But maybe the reason the traffic is low is because it's winter and Everyone's in their shops doing builds with the torpedo heater on high or their out in the snow doing donuts for days enjoying life by the seat of a trike.

Then the rest of us that stay on here are like me In which it is layoff season and you have nothing better to do.

It's too cold out, I'd rather sit on here and talk about trikes than go out and freeze my buns off cleaning a carb or replacing a stator. The dirtbike fits in the basement door, it's getting all the attention right now.

What if.

fabiodriven
12-30-2014, 12:53 AM
Honestly it's probably better off those people have Facebook rather than having them here. Maybe less traffic isn't such a bad thing.

Ghostv2
12-30-2014, 01:18 AM
As long as a Honda engine runs, this site will stay alive.

Hell, these engines will outrun us.

ironchop
12-30-2014, 03:21 PM

My opinion on Facebook:

1) Reminds you exactly WHY you don`t hang out with these people or invite them to your house anymore.....since you forgot and accepted their "friend request"
2) Reminds you of WHY you were in such a hurry to graduate highschool and leave it all behind in a cloud of Mickey Thompson M50-15 smoke
3) Acts as an indicator of the serious personal issues your friends have been hiding from you all this time
4) Serves as a way for unimportant and uninteresting people to have a forum to force their mediocrity upon anyone else
5) Serves as a way to boost the egos and breed false feelings of self confidence for those humans who truly should have stayed introverted and socially awkward
6) Serves as a way to tell on yourself to your boss whom you called three hours ago to claim you were sick but posted selfies @ The Lake an hour and a half afterward (True story....I fired the guy for it)
7) reinforces the false impression that anyone else even gives a damn about anything you have to say or have done
8) takes traffic away from really great forums
9) promotes Narcissism through such Social Network Breakthroughs as "The Selfie", The "like" button, "going viral", "tagging"
10) promotes Depression in people who are too humble and grounded to become narcissists

back on topic.....I think besides FB, another reason for lower traffic is boredom. While there are some incredible current and past builds, there are some which take a few years and in the Age of ADHD, it`s easy for people to become distracted while waiting for updates. Inevitably, recovering old topics is almost impossible to avoid and a lot of times I find there is not much of 'new' and a whole lot of 'sos'

maybe start a 'build-off'.......while that phrase makes the hair on my neck stand on end because it`s so cliché, I would be lying if I said I wasn`t interested in seeing some of the star builders here compete a little. I also like LOTS of pics from trike racing and coverage of those events as well. Maybe even do some features that end up

RIDE-RED 250r
12-30-2014, 04:34 PM
Honestly it's probably better off those people have Facebook rather than having them here. Maybe less traffic isn't such a bad thing.

I'll take quality over quantity any ol day of the week..

I'm on a bunch of those groups too, but I seldom post even if I know some bad info has been passed off as truth because I don't want to get involved in a crap slinging match. You are right, alot of unfettered ignorance running rampant.

They can be a parts source though, but I feel a bit more secure buying from members here. This forum brings a measure if accountability that just does not exist on the FB pages. People get burned here from time to time, it's bound to happen to some degree... Try to resolve a bad business deal that was done through FB.. I'm sure it's almost impossible.

thestud25
12-30-2014, 05:24 PM
Drama, stupid posts, repetitive posts, and lack of time have kept me from posting much. I still lurk and post from time to time. I keep up with some of my brethren via telephone though!

I still see most of you SOB's @ TF15!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Airmapper
12-30-2014, 05:51 PM
I hate social media, particularly Facebook. I was on Facebook a while, thought it was cool for a bit, then it just became annoying, disruptive, and gave me a bad opinion of about everyone on there. I no longer associate with many people who "friended" me on it, and that includes members of my family. I just know too much about what kind of people they really are to have any respect for them.

But I like forums. Forums are more focused on a particular interest. We all come here to talk 3 wheelers, and while there may be areas to shoot the bull, it's all based around a common interest and for the most part stays there.

Most of the members I've noticed here seem to be likable people. But, I don't want to see photos of your vacations, your kids, your stitches, that growth you got going on, or know when your planning your next bowel movement. I certainly hope you people don't want to see mine either (don't worry, ain't happening.) Facebook gives you access to all that junk and to people all to willing to share it freely with people they barely know.

Long live the forum. At least we know where the people who actually came to talk 3 wheelers are.

Jmoozy27
12-30-2014, 05:51 PM
I like the idea of the build off. Maybe separate it into different classes.

RIDE-RED 250r
12-30-2014, 06:26 PM

I already know who the top contenders would be in a build-off! :)

Billy Golightly
12-30-2014, 10:00 PM
A forum sponsored bike build off would be pretttty interesting....

Ya'll got some gears a turning now. Wonder how we'd vote on it, what the prize/outcome would be ?

Ghostv2
12-30-2014, 10:59 PM
Free trip to TF2015. ^

jakep53
12-31-2014, 06:56 AM
GReat idea ghost I get to build a 3 wheeler and if I win a free plane ticket to trikefest :Bounce lol

ironchop
12-31-2014, 11:12 AM
what the prize/outcome would be ?

hell Billy, 'bragging rights' are good enough for must of us here....or post their pic in the banner for a month.....just throwing out stuff

I used to make trophies for my buddy in TN who promotes the Spring Thaw, and Redneck Rumble car and bike shows so I can make a few suggestions. Most of the time, we welded together a pile of used motorcycle parts to make some kind of gearhead sculpture/trophy. Cheap and easy. My buddy Chuck did the same for the first Biker Buildoff trophies on Discovery tv. The one Billy Lane and Indian Larry shared and cut in half after the buildoff was the same thing. He took some MC scrap parts and made a sculpture.

ironchop
12-31-2014, 11:20 AM

I agree......the format we used was split into classes so that folks who had the Ching to build a slammed `56 Pan longbike could have their own class at one end of the spectrum and then we had something called "Garage built" which was low-budget and geared toward the working stiff that didn`t have even $1000 in his whole ride on the other end. We also split them up by motor type, makes were only split between American big twin and metric bikes. We had stock classes for concourse-type restos too so the non-customizers were represented. Etc, etc. I can get a more accurate breakdown but this isn`t bikes so it doesn`t really apply. Just mentioning the format.

BTW........the one rule Redneck Rumble and Spring Thaw shows had was YOU HAD TO START THE MACHINE AND RIDE IT INTO THE COLISEUM. For those that don`t know this, a lot of shows feature cars and bikes with no oil in them, sometimes no rods or pistons, wouldn`t run, etc. The mills are empty shells meant only as trailer queens and show displays. This rule keeps out the trailer queen crowd pretty well.

thestud25
12-31-2014, 01:14 PM
I think a 2 stroke 50-80cc build would be cool!

Jmoozy27
12-31-2014, 01:51 PM
[/QUOTE]BTW........the one rule Redneck Rumble and Spring Thaw shows had was YOU HAD TO START THE MACHINE AND RIDE IT INTO THE COLISEUM. For those that don`t know this, a lot of shows feature cars and bikes with no oil in them, sometimes no rods or pistons, wouldn`t run, etc. The mills are empty shells meant only as trailer queens and show displays. This rule keeps out the trailer queen crowd pretty well.[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah!! Its pointless to have a hollow machine showcase. It should be a rule that you have to ride it in on the back 2 wheels. Maybe even do a buildoff that's starts with a roller and gives you a cash limit. Then when its complete a simple drag race to take home the title.

RIDE-RED 250r
12-31-2014, 02:37 PM

I agree! A class like that would certainly bring the cream to the top, so to speak.

I can put my machines together from the ground up, nothing special... but what you are talking about is a talent that only a few here possess. I'm sure I don't have to name names.... Would be very cool to watch.

I like the whole idea of keeping the prize simple, bragging rights, picture of the build for the page banner for a month..very good ideas indeed. :beer

ironchop
12-31-2014, 02:58 PM
I can put my machines together from the ground up, nothing special... but what you are talking about is a talent that only a few here possess. I'm sure I don't have to name names.... Would be very cool to watch.

I like the whole idea of keeping the prize simple, bragging rights, picture of the build for the page banner for a month..very good ideas indeed. :beer

we could be a lot more inclusive (you and I both hate that word, I`m sure but bear with me...).

One of the main reasons for the garage class was so that even guys on a tight budget could pound something out cheap.......now some of these guys are super-skilled and some were just mechanically inclined but still assembled very impressive and clean machines with some slight mods here and there. I`d suggest a resto class (for Pro cats like Mike from Vintage) and maybe a rebuild class for guys just rehabbing clapped out machines. The way to judge a class in this instance is to go by before and after pics. Who cares if it`s a clean stock 200s UNLESS the fella pulled it out of a hog pond in rural Arkansas complete with barnacles and locked-up everything. We could call it "Biggest Transformation"......I know back in the day here at 3WW, Edog (love or hate him) really could work a spray can and some armor all and wether you think Aesthetics is talent or not, the fact remains I`ve seen polished turds right here on this site.

When we were judging bike shows, the garage build class drew the most entrants because most guys wanted an easy win (or so they thought) so you had guys who assembled nice Sucker Punch Sally kits get beat by a dude who pimped some $300 box full of BSA parts into a workingmans bobber.

We could also have an open class of sorts. For the men (and women) here who can afford a little more involved build, or a guy like myself who is a Machinist and who also welds and fabs by trade, so they can have some stiffer competition. You would judge not only by the appearance but also innovation, self manufacturing and fab work, uniqueness of the build, and so on.

We really need a separate thread for all these ideas.

bkm
12-31-2014, 08:22 PM
I like the direction this is going. A bike build off would be cool and I think a before and after class would be the easiest.

Samjp22
12-31-2014, 10:23 PM
Budget build? Pick a set point on how much you can spend including the cost of the trike and go from there?

jakep53
01-01-2015, 04:40 AM

sounds like a pretty good idea to me!

slashfan7964
01-03-2015, 06:54 PM
Billy ran it by me that traffic seems to be up lately.

The_Steve_Man
01-03-2015, 07:36 PM
With tapatalk, it is easier for me to pop in.

Kintore
01-03-2015, 09:26 PM
I think a lot of the older members still stop in just don't post as much. I try to visit once a day. Feels like home here. Been here since oct 04!

It has slowed. Fb has had something to do with that im sure. Mobile friendly is key and its been top notch so far.

El Camexican
01-03-2015, 10:22 PM
Anyone ever hear from Dougspcs from the Great White North?

Billy Golightly
01-04-2015, 10:06 AM

Yeah its not monstrous but compared to a month-2 months ago, I think we're doing better. Summer time is always kind of slow because people are outside riding, adventuring, and doing things more vs winter time when we're for the most part inside, tearing down and working on machines more.

Historically - January, February, March seem to be the "up" months out of a year

El Camexican
01-04-2015, 12:34 PM
Is it me or......you guys would rather talk about tie down storage ? Whatever you do ......DON`T HURT PRECIOUS !! :lol::Bounce:lol::Bounce:eek:

Maybe you could perk things up by posting some of your recent builds.

RIDE-RED 250r
01-25-2015, 06:07 PM
Anybody else sick of seeing kids cobbling and generally sodomizing their trikes on FB and posting about it like it's some great accomplishment??

And then get this... Some teenager gave me a ration of shite telling me not to post if I don't know what I'm talking about when I answered a guys question on what years the 200es was made... Of course the answer is one year, '84. This kid called me everything but a white man, bragging how he was going to take a pic of the ID tag on the '83 200es he just sold and I was going to eat my words... Never got a pic of course... But you all should have seen the spectacle he made...

Again, you try and help somebody out... only to be ridiculed and cursed at by some kid who wasn't even an itch in his daddy's jockey shorts when the ATC in question was built.....

So much ignorance flying around on FB.. its frustrating, because like here, there are some good people looking for some help. And then doinks like that make it impossible... And there seems to be quite a few of them...

That right there is the reason forums like this will weather the storm I think....

fabiodriven
01-25-2015, 09:19 PM
Joe Facebook is a friggin joke when it comes to the technical stuff. I've gotten in some battles myself since having gotten back on there. The ignorance flagrant and in no short supply. Very, very stupid people posting very, very often. It's painful at times.

onformula1
01-25-2015, 11:10 PM
I Hate Facebook!!!

I Love It Here!!!