PDA

View Full Version : New YTM200ERN owner and NO SPARK!!! Help please

myridge
12-08-2014, 02:59 PM
Ok I just picked up this little Yamaha YTM200ERN a few weeks ago and It's got no spark. (Therefore no start) When I got it the pull rope wasn't retracting so I dissembled the mech and fixed that. I was able to get it started once, ran for a few minutes and idled nice then it died suddenly and will not restart. I pulled the plug and changed it out for a fresh NKG plug and still nothing. No visible spark at all. Yesterday after a search on the forum I read a post about the key has to be in the on position not set too lights so I though that was my problem. NOPE!!! No spark there either. What could have happened in those few minutes of idling? CDI, Coil, stator? I checked the inline fuse and its good. When it was running the headlight and taillights were on. There is no battery and the 12v power cord was taped up and tucked into the frame.

The electric start is disabled so pull start only until my ebay parts come in. The push button must have broke and stuck in the on position so the previous owner took the starting gear out because if you apply 12v power the starter just spins freely. I since have ordered a replacement starting gear/shaft, NOS replacement switch, oil filter and battery.

Jmoozy27
12-08-2014, 06:12 PM
I would start with the cheapest thing and roll on. Check the keyed ignition switch for all the wire connections. Coil, stater, CDI all sound like they could be the problems. Motors on these things are solid so it is worth spending a little $$$$ to fix but don't break the bank.

muthey
12-09-2014, 12:29 AM
definitely check the keyed ignition, it is common for the soldering to break, or wires to break off of it, also check the handle bar switch for faulty wires, sounds like P.O. was not very gentle with this machine, after that try ohming the stator, and the cdi. Do you have a manual for it? If not here is a link for one you can download. http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/

myridge
12-09-2014, 12:52 AM
I don't know what I did but it runs!!! I rolled it from my barn into my basement workshop to work on it in a nice warm well lit place and I removed the tank and fenders and checked all the wiring connections to make sure they were tight I put a 12v battery on to test the lights and they worked so I figured I'd turn the key to run and check it again for spark and it had a great spark! Put the plug back in gave it a light spray of starting fluid and she fired right up. I really didn't do anything different from this morning other that roll it 150' into the basement. Now I'll try and break the bead on that huge 25x11-9 tire and see about putting a tube in it. Then I want to fix the electric start once my parts come in.

I cannot wait for the test ride

myridge
12-09-2014, 12:54 AM
Thank you I downloaded the manual.

Jmoozy27
12-09-2014, 10:05 AM
Sometimes they just need a good talking too and TLC. " Come on sweet girl don't leave me out in the cold, I know you better than that.... " Vrooom fired right up....:w00t:

Remember, They have feelings too...:p:mad::cry::p:beer