PDA

View Full Version : Are these brakes savable? How much shoe should they have?

myridge
12-09-2014, 04:29 PM
Started pulling my new to me YTM200ERN apart last night to clean it up and replace what's broke or missing. Question is are these brake shoes still ok? Can I just clean with brake clean and lube the required parts and reassemble? They look to me like they still have life in them but the front brakes were way out of adjustment and barley worked but the mechanism was really stiff and gummed up so that could have been part of it. I also removed the cable and cleaned and lubed it so that should help when I reassemble.

YTZ drew
12-09-2014, 04:38 PM
The shoes look like there's still some life left. If you can't get them to adjust properly upon reassembly, try replacing the cable. I often find them stretched tot he point where decent shoes can't be adjusted into operation. A new cable makes a world of difference in feel as well, for around $20 its money well spent. Put the old cable on the shelf somewhere for a spare in case the new one ever fails.

Jmoozy27
12-09-2014, 05:19 PM
I would do the same thing with the shoes, replace them and keep those for spare. The cheaper stuff like that you are better off replacing. Carbs, Differential, Axles always try to salvage if possible. With a trike fixer upper you have to assume that everything on it is worn.

jb2wheels
12-09-2014, 05:39 PM
I'd hit them with the bead blaster or wire wheel and run 'em. I'm cheap like that.