PDA

View Full Version : Swing arm advice needed...

dabody69
12-11-2014, 11:06 PM
New to 85 and 86 250r's.. What is or was the best swing arm made for these trikes, could you please list a couple of them and rank them in order from best to worst, are there companies out there that still make new ones for these trikes? I will only really be doing mostly trail riding through the Michigan woods what is the optimal length I would want to get for this type of riding,, +1, +2, etc...also what is the stock width of the rear ends of these trikes and what would be optimal for the type of riding I have described. Has anyone heard of a swing arm called side winder?? I would like to get a little wider axle also, how wide should I go for trail riding, dont want to go nuts just whats going to work well. Thanks guys this is all new to me so I really appreciate the input.. Just 60 days and 8 more posts, can't wait to look at the classifieds, I'm an excellent buyer.

yaegerb
12-11-2014, 11:47 PM
Stock axle and swingarm work best when I ride in the woods on my 85. I find an extended axle makes it trickier in already tight spots. Unless you plan on duning or hill climbing or seriously modifying the motor there is no need for an extended swinger IMO. Lonestar still makes new swingers for the 3rd gen R. Side winder makes chains and sprockets.....if they make a swing arm that's news to me.

dabody69
12-12-2014, 12:20 AM
The trails are snowmobile trails so room isn't to much of an issue, I was thinking it would help with the balance of the machine, I dont know though thats why I'm asking, I saw an after market swing arm and it had a big side winder sticker on it, thats why I asked, thanks for the info yaegerb!!

Poco Loco
12-12-2014, 10:21 AM
Extended swingers make the front end heavier and hinder cornering. They dont balance the machine. The stock swinger will get over logs better and is much easier to loft the front end at speed. Honda designed that lenght for a reason, because it works very well. Id run that stock axle also like yargerb mentioned.

dabody69
12-13-2014, 01:53 AM
Extended swingers make the front end heavier and hinder cornering. They dont balance the machine. The stock swinger will get over logs better and is much easier to loft the front end at speed. Honda designed that lenght for a reason, because it works very well. Id run that stock axle also like yargerb mentioned.

Will Do Poco Loco, thanks for the advice