PDA

View Full Version : How high will it go? 3rd nicest Tri z in the world?

Darius1502
12-18-2014, 12:51 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-Yamaha-Tri-Z-250-/191451618937?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

atc007
12-18-2014, 12:58 PM
$8775............

robertc
12-18-2014, 07:26 PM
Would love to have it! $13,300

matgod
12-18-2014, 08:05 PM
I would pay 10k for it !

thestud25
12-18-2014, 08:11 PM
$9765................

jakep53
12-18-2014, 08:20 PM
Up for auction is my 1986 Yamaha Tri-Z 250! I am the third owner. The original owner bought this bike new in 6/25/87 at the Yamaha dealer in Downer Grove, Illinois. I have the original issued title with his name on it. This bike was then listed on eBay and sold to a gentleman in Arizona, he was the second owner, I bought the bike from this second owner. Over the last 10 years I have collected as many NOS or mint three wheelers that I could find and had one of the largest collections in the US. But a tornado 2 years ago which destroyed most of my property made me realize that things we collect can be lost, and a collection like mine was worth a small fortune to me! Therefore, I have decided to slowly sell off some of these treasures, and this bike is one of them. My dear friend Mike Palmgren who owns Vintage Motorsports (VMS), was going to restore this bike for me at one time, so I have NOS rear plastic, an NOS front tire and a few other hard to get parts. The bike doesn't need restoring, but I am very fussy, so I found as perfect a condition bike as possible to have him restore. This bike isn't 100% because it has been ridden, but it is the closest that Mike or I know of in the country that is non-restored. Happily, I have the one bike in the country that is newer! One month ago I got a $24,000 restoration from Mike! We have been collecting parts for years for this restored bike and it is the only 1986 Yamaha Tri-Z 250 that is New in the Country. I know of one crated 1986 Yamaha Tri-Z 250 in Germany that is stored in a damp basement. As many of you know Mike has many of his restorations in the Honda Museum of Japan, so my recently restored bike is NEW!!! Sorry, but I have to brag a little bit about Mike! Now, back to my non-restored bike that I have listed here. These bikes are very rare, Yamaha didn't import many 1986 Tri-Z's because of the ban, and when you do find one of these bikes they are usually worn out pieces of junk. Unlike Honda, who imported thousands of 1986 250R's, for years to come 250R's will still keep popping up in mint condition. So, for me to own a new restored one with 90% NOS parts on it and an identical non-restored one is very rare, I doubt anyone will ever see two bikes like these side by side ever again! I took very clear pics to show all aspects of my listed bike, I want you the buyer to see what I'm describing...a picture is worth a thousand words! The first profile pic, is of my new bike in the crate from Mike, this is the same crate I will sell the buyer for $300 and put my listed bike in for you if you need it. The last pic is of both bikes together, all the other 22 pics are of the bike that is listed for sale. I put the last pic of them both together because I think that they are beautiful....I won't tell you which one is which because I want you to see just how awesome the non restored bike looks! I took a close up pic of both foot pegs, especially look at the one on the right hand side of the bike. Notice it is perfect, anyone who has ever ridden one of these bikes knows that the kick starter with time scars the peg and bends it when bike is kicked over very hard during starting. The tires are all original and much to my dismay the second owner rode the bike up and down his paved street occasionally, he never rode it in the dirt. Obviously, he was unaware of the fact that the rear tires are gone, none to be found! They haven't been available for years! I have a good buddy named Pete who lives over the pond who says he thinks that he can possibly find me two NOS rear tires in the UK for me. The tool kit is still in its original wrappings under the seat, probably never used. I have a local motorcycle buddy named Chris who is a whiz at working on bikes hook up an auxiliary fuel bladder and feed fuel directly into the carburetor and start the bike. It has sat in my air-conditioned showroom for the last 6 years, it started second kick. Chris made sure it idled and ran well and then ran the fuel out of the bike, no fuel was put into the tank directly. The bike is drained and ready for shipping! This is a no reserve auction so bid with confidence! The bike is sold as is with no warranty. It is for sale locally and I reserve the right to end the auction early if necessary. As stated, I do have a crate to ship it in, I will crate it and aid in loading but shipping is the responsibility of the buyer. It's hard to part with this treasure but I have a new one so that is why I'm letting it go. Good luck bidding! This auction ends Christmas Eve, Santa is coming to someone's lucky house! Merry Christmas! Thanks, for looking at my bike!

Scott 770-548-6467

yaegerb
12-18-2014, 08:38 PM
I am going with 14,125

Darius1502
12-18-2014, 09:14 PM
Up for auction is my 1986 Yamaha Tri-Z 250! I am the third owner. The original owner bought this bike new in 6/25/87 at the Yamaha dealer in Downer Grove, Illinois. I have the original issued title with his name on it. This bike was then listed on eBay and sold to a gentleman in Arizona, he was the second owner, I bought the bike from this second owner. Over the last 10 years I have collected as many NOS or mint three wheelers that I could find and had one of the largest collections in the US. But a tornado 2 years ago which destroyed most of my property made me realize that things we collect can be lost, and a collection like mine was worth a small fortune to me! Therefore, I have decided to slowly sell off some of these treasures, and this bike is one of them. My dear friend Mike Palmgren who owns Vintage Motorsports (VMS), was going to restore this bike for me at one time, so I have NOS rear plastic, an NOS front tire and a few other hard to get parts. The bike doesn't need restoring, but I am very fussy, so I found as perfect a condition bike as possible to have him restore. This bike isn't 100% because it has been ridden, but it is the closest that Mike or I know of in the country that is non-restored. Happily, I have the one bike in the country that is newer! One month ago I got a $24,000 restoration from Mike! We have been collecting parts for years for this restored bike and it is the only 1986 Yamaha Tri-Z 250 that is New in the Country. I know of one crated 1986 Yamaha Tri-Z 250 in Germany that is stored in a damp basement. As many of you know Mike has many of his restorations in the Honda Museum of Japan, so my recently restored bike is NEW!!! Sorry, but I have to brag a little bit about Mike! Now, back to my non-restored bike that I have listed here. These bikes are very rare, Yamaha didn't import many 1986 Tri-Z's because of the ban, and when you do find one of these bikes they are usually worn out pieces of junk. Unlike Honda, who imported thousands of 1986 250R's, for years to come 250R's will still keep popping up in mint condition. So, for me to own a new restored one with 90% NOS parts on it and an identical non-restored one is very rare, I doubt anyone will ever see two bikes like these side by side ever again! I took very clear pics to show all aspects of my listed bike, I want you the buyer to see what I'm describing...a picture is worth a thousand words! The first profile pic, is of my new bike in the crate from Mike, this is the same crate I will sell the buyer for $300 and put my listed bike in for you if you need it. The last pic is of both bikes together, all the other 22 pics are of the bike that is listed for sale. I put the last pic of them both together because I think that they are beautiful....I won't tell you which one is which because I want you to see just how awesome the non restored bike looks! I took a close up pic of both foot pegs, especially look at the one on the right hand side of the bike. Notice it is perfect, anyone who has ever ridden one of these bikes knows that the kick starter with time scars the peg and bends it when bike is kicked over very hard during starting. The tires are all original and much to my dismay the second owner rode the bike up and down his paved street occasionally, he never rode it in the dirt. Obviously, he was unaware of the fact that the rear tires are gone, none to be found! They haven't been available for years! I have a good buddy named Pete who lives over the pond who says he thinks that he can possibly find me two NOS rear tires in the UK for me. The tool kit is still in its original wrappings under the seat, probably never used. I have a local motorcycle buddy named Chris who is a whiz at working on bikes hook up an auxiliary fuel bladder and feed fuel directly into the carburetor and start the bike. It has sat in my air-conditioned showroom for the last 6 years, it started second kick. Chris made sure it idled and ran well and then ran the fuel out of the bike, no fuel was put into the tank directly. The bike is drained and ready for shipping! This is a no reserve auction so bid with confidence! The bike is sold as is with no warranty. It is for sale locally and I reserve the right to end the auction early if necessary. As stated, I do have a crate to ship it in, I will crate it and aid in loading but shipping is the responsibility of the buyer. It's hard to part with this treasure but I have a new one so that is why I'm letting it go. Good luck bidding! This auction ends Christmas Eve, Santa is coming to someone's lucky house! Merry Christmas! Thanks, for looking at my bike!

Scott 770-548-6467

I am glad this is here now...Scott because we have these pics saved!! Yipee!! Great story on the '86 Z. I bought mine in 2003...they are awesome and the best looking trike in my opinion!!

Orangecnty250r
12-20-2014, 07:23 AM
Darius, The new restored one started out at my place. I was inspired by your Tri Z in 2004 and starting collecting NOS tri Z parts. Once I became overly involved in these Tigers, Franks, and Cagiva I sold off my Jap collection. I sold the Tri Z off in a pile of small crated parts. These Tri Z's have soooooo many parts that Mike did a phenomenal job finding and restoring the remaining parts and putting Humpty Dumpty back together again. I had a chance to see it when I was at Mike's recently. It is an amazing specimen. The used one for sale really looks incredible as well.

Darius1502
12-20-2014, 08:56 AM
Darius, The new restored one started out at my place. I was inspired by your Tri Z in 2004 and starting collecting NOS tri Z parts. Once I became overly involved in these Tigers, Franks, and Cagiva I sold off my Jap collection. I sold the Tri Z off in a pile of small crated parts. These Tri Z's have soooooo many parts that Mike did a phenomenal job finding and restoring the remaining parts and putting Humpty Dumpty back together again. I had a chance to see it when I was at Mike's recently. It is an amazing specimen. The used one for sale really looks incredible as well.

Howdy BROTHER!! Great to connect again! Amazing story on the Z. I remember your Z from back in the day! That's just awesome!! I am going to send you a PM!!

yaegerb
12-20-2014, 11:57 AM
So it was almost to the teens and now it's down to high 8k? Wtf? Shill bidding?

Samjp22
12-20-2014, 05:11 PM
I was wondering the same thing, was up at 11300 before

onformula1
12-21-2014, 12:17 AM
Very clean trike, $9,999.00

Check out the old school DGY sticker on the rear fender.

ebaccm26
12-22-2014, 05:22 PM
it says on there that he knows a crated one in germany in a damp basement. is that true? pics of it?

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/92013-Check-this-sh*t-out!-86-Tri-z-still-in-crate-new

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gvmc45
12-23-2014, 09:00 AM
I never thought a tri-z would go for that kind of money. back in 97 I bought a sweet low hour 86 z from the original owner with title for $700. I cleaned it up , rode a handful of times and put it up on a stand back in 98..never rode it again.its still in my garage right now..maybe I should dust it off and sell it if that's what they can go for..hmmmm.
l

Darius1502
12-23-2014, 11:27 AM
The '86 Z is a super cool trike. Denny over here at 3WW sent me the test from ATV News back in '86 and the Tri Z actually WON the shootout against the '86 R and '86 KXT. That's big news...and people don't realize but the engine made great power and supposedly more than the '85.

I've always thought it was the prettiest color scheme as well.

Darius1502
12-23-2014, 11:28 AM
I never thought a tri-z would go for that kind of money. back in 97 I bought a sweet low hour 86 z from the original owner with title for $700. I cleaned it up , rode a handful of times and put it up on a stand back in 98..never rode it again.its still in my garage right now..maybe I should dust it off and sell it if that's what they can go for..hmmmm.
l

Maybe we see some YUMMY pictures of that baby???

Samjp22
12-25-2014, 09:18 PM
Should've went for more imo, that thing was nice