PDA

View Full Version : 82 & 83 honda atc 200's progress - anyone with break knowledge?

deano56265
12-20-2014, 07:46 PM
took a little doing but i got the 82 running but its running pretty good
-cleaned carbs twice
-repaired the recoil 3x
-had to reseal both back beads (hopefully holding air in the am)
-made a new rubber boot to the air box using rubber pvc pipe connector with 1.5 and 1.25 ends
still need to get lights working but gonna wait till the 83 is running
- carb is soaking in can of carb cleaner overnight
-repaired recoil 2x so far
the 83 will need some break work both cables locked up for the rear hand and foot sprayed down with penetrating oil but you can hear it rubbing when you push it in neutral
Any ideas on breaks

webbch
12-20-2014, 09:19 PM
Are the rims bent pretty good around the bead area? Did you mean re-seat the beads, or did you actually use sealant on them?

If you've rebuilt the carbs, I'm guessing you've attempted to adjust the brakes without success. May need to to disassemble the rear brakes to diagnose, so pull the wheel off, remove the axle nuts, then pull off the drum. The axle nuts are not difficult to remove, but you need a pretty large wrench (41mm IIRC) to get on those nuts. Cheapest route is to pick up a very large adjustable wrench at Harbor Freight IMO. It _can_ be done with a pipe wrench, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Rear brakes are pretty easy to R&R, but hopefully your issue is simpler than one I had on my 185s (same brake setup). I was riding it (shortly after purchasing) when the rear wheel just locked up solid after applying the brakes. Pulled it apart and they looked like they'd sat in sea water for a few years (live in AZ, so rather odd) There was something wrong with the mount to where brand new OEM pads didn't fit (new pads rubbed severely). Something on the axle carrier was misaligned. I tried 2 sets of brand new pads, verified part numbers, measured what I could, etc. Couldn't find anything bent or otherwise out of adjustment. Finally, I just ended up replacing the rear axle carrier (and wheel bearings while I had it apart) before I finally got it working right.

aramid
12-21-2014, 11:47 PM
There may be an 0 ring under the nuts that hold the rear brake drum on . . if so you need to remove it otherwise the drum will not come off.

I would remove the brake cam and clean and grease it.

Sand the drum and brake shoes lightly with around 220 paper.

If the brake pedal doesn’t work smoothly remove and grease it.

You can hang the cables and use brake or carb cleaner with the long nozzle from the top to try and clean them out . . then spray wd40 inside.

Parts fiche . . 0 ring number 22 . . brake cam number 7.

http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-atc200-1982-usa_model7176/partslist/F++1002.html#results

aramid
12-21-2014, 11:55 PM
There may be an 0 ring under the nuts that hold the rear brake drum on . . if so you need to remove it otherwise the drum will not come off.

I would remove the brake cam and clean and grease it.

Sand the drum and brake shoes lightly with around 220 paper.

If the brake pedal doesn’t work smoothly remove and grease it.

You can hang the cables and use brake or carb cleaner with the long nozzle from the top to try and clean them out . . then spray wd40 inside.

Parts fiche . . 0 ring number 22 . . brake cam number 7.

http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-atc200-1982-usa_model7176/partslist/F++1002.html#results

deano56265
12-22-2014, 08:53 PM
thanks for the link that should be very helpfull!! Good news I got my 83 200 running tonite!! had carb soaking a 1.5 days in cleaner threw it together and after 10 pulls it purred like a kitten!! Gonna go for a ride tomorrow when its not raining!! At least the front brakes work on that one so i feel a little safer!! Now if i could only get my Chevy started id be in buisness!!