PDA

View Full Version : Hot shot truckers? Camper haulers?

fabiodriven
12-23-2014, 11:28 AM
This is an idea in its infancy so this could potentially either never happen or define a big part of my adult life. That is all to be determined.

I toyed with the idea of using my truck to haul campers after a friend had suggested it over this past summer. I thought about it for a while and was really thinking of looking into it, but then I got caught up at another dead end job and put that idea to the back burner. Well that dead end job is no more so here I am unemployed again and looking for something more betterer.

For those that don't know, I am a truck driver by trade and a mechanic by nature. I know the ins and outs of trucks and have hauled over the road before so I am familiar with most of the laws in that regard. What I am looking for is information in this business, which is hauling campers (and sometimes other things) across the country. My truck is pretty much set up to do this and would only need some minor tweaking in order to be ready to roll. I spent last night reading a 26 page thread which seemed to have a good amount of answers, but I'm looking for an "in". Someone who has done or currently does this that I can speak with and see if it's worth me betting my future on. I like the ideas of traveling, freedom, seeing new places, but in order for this to work I must make some dough rhe me. I am 35 years old and although an asset to the right company, that right company doesn't seem to be surfacing right this second. I need to make it or break it. I don't want to squeak by anymore.

In the thread I've linked below, the answers and projections of this line of work run the gamut from those who appear to do extremely well and have been for some time to those who broke down and gave up within a year. I will post the link to my post in that thread, but there are 25 pages before where I posted. Suggestions and opinions from those not in the know are not exactly what I'm looking for but if you've got an idea I'm not opposed to hearing it. What I am really looking for is words from those who have first hand experience. I am serious about trying this and want to do it soon. Those who have ridden in my truck with me can tell you that my truck and I are very much set up for this job. The question is whether or not it would be worth the effort.

http://www.thetruckersreport.com/truckingindustryforum/expediter-and-hot-shot-trucking-forum/172304-rv-transport-questions-post4379344.html#post4379344

Billy Golightly
12-23-2014, 12:55 PM
I don't have an in for ya John but I was stopped getting fuel one year on my way to TF with my big Pace enclosed trailer (have not pulled it in a several years now) and struck up a conversation with a guy that was a mover for their products, he had one hooked up then. Some of the big names in enclosed trailer business are Pace, & Haulmark. Wouldn't hurt to just try calling them up and see if you can get to someone in the right department.

South Bend IN right south of Swinehart is like the trailer manufacturing/building capital of the US, so anyone local in that area can probably atleast give you a few names of companies to research at the very least.

coolpool
12-23-2014, 01:16 PM
I was just reading an add on our Kijjiji site (like CL) for someone to do that exact thing; bring new trailers up from the US to Canada. The only conditions are that a person must have a Class 1 licence and a 1 ton diesel. Sounds like you more than qualify. I think they advertised $1.64/mile. I'm not sure if that's good or bad? You may even be able to contact a large repo company like "Cranky Ape" and deliver items for them even up to the border.

86T3
12-23-2014, 01:31 PM
I would be seriously concerned about the age of your truck. I know you take good care of it but when it's your lively hood a couple days out of commission could ruin your whole month. I would seriously consider upgrading if you want to go this route.

fabiodriven
12-23-2014, 02:10 PM
Upgrading to what? The 7.3 Powerstroke is the most dependable diesel engine you can get in a one ton truck, hands down. The manual transmission and clutch were brand new when I bought the truck 50k miles ago and everything is up to snuff or has been replaced already. Something breaks, I fix it. I've been around trucks long enough to know what's what. Ford 6.0, tons of power but no doubt the absolute least dependable diesel truck engine going right now. Ford's answer, the 6.4, just as bad if not worse. I can't speak to the Ford 6.7, I've heard mostly good but bad as well. Dodge 5.9 Cummins is fantastic, but I don't like the trucks. They rot to pieces up here and generally just fall apart and forget about driving cross country in a Dodge with an automatic transmission. I won't buy a GM but their Isuzu motor is pretty good, but they have their fair share of issues as well.

I would do a frame off on my truck before I "upgrade" to something that's going to leave me stranded. You can trust me when I say my truck is up to snuff, no question. And the best part is, it's paid for. Upon reading last night it was pretty much unanimous that it's a very bad idea to have a hefty truck payment when working in this profession, especially for someone who isn't established. The recommendation was to go out and spend 10k on a truck. That's pretty much what I already have.

I appreciate the concern but I don't want to turn this into a pissing match about Ford vs GM. My truck is up to snuff, nuff said.

briano
12-23-2014, 03:02 PM
I think it would be a great job for a single guy that wants to see the country. I thought about trying something like this until my daughter was born. The only bad thing is some companies want you to have a certain year or newer vehicle, like less than 10 years old or whatever their policy may be.

I'd call around to some trailer manufacturers or even camper dealerships to see if they need anything hauled. It's a way to get your foot in the door at least. My boss's sister bought a camper in Texas and had it towed to upper michigan, and the guy that towed it was complaining about having to upgrade trucks again because the camper companies wanted him to have a truck no more than 5 years old. He was towing some pretty fancy fifth wheel trailers and they want a nice truck delivering them.

I believe your truck could probably be in service for many miles yet but sometimes you need to spend money to make money, especially if the customer doesn't like your truck.

I wish you the best of luck and hope you can make it a go. If you end uptowing trailers around the country, you could always pick up smaller deliveries too.

200xman
12-23-2014, 03:39 PM
Don't just limit yourself to campers, John. Boats are another worthwhile haul. I am talking new from the factory boats on their own trailers. The boat industry is starting to go factory direct for new boats so there are a lot of single deliveries now. Most of the drivers I spoke to hauled both.

ironchop
12-23-2014, 04:03 PM
don't know if any of this helps:

http://rvshippers.com/

http://www.campermovers.com/

http://www.ehow.com/how_6723277_camper-hauling-jobs.html

http://www.dasautoshippers.com/job/car-hauler-driver-lease-program

http://www.dasautoshippers.com/rv-transport

http://rv-roadtrips.thefuntimesguide.com/2007/06/hiring_rv_transporters.php

I know these guys hauled trailers from North Indiana down to Katrina:
http://www.openfos.com/supply/1556212-TRAILER-TRANSIT-INC-in-PORTER-IN/

again John, sorry if my links are redundant and you`ve already covered this but just trying to be helpful

ironchop
12-23-2014, 04:05 PM
http://autritransport.com/rv-transport-driver-owner-operator-jobs.php

http://www.hoosier-rv-transport.com/drivers.htm

atc007
12-23-2014, 04:06 PM
All I know is a little about hot shots here in my area.. The gas/oil companies promise huge dreams,,you buy it. They run your wheels off for a few moths thinking ,wow,, I have ALL the work I will ever need. Then rebid/switch to someone else as soon as you get a few good months under your belt. Dirty rotten baztards... Same with water tankers/dump trucks.. This is the gas industry though. No idea about campers. Good luck in whatever you choose!

fabiodriven
12-23-2014, 07:03 PM
Thanks to all of you for the observations and suggestions. There is certainly a lot to look into! Doug I'm going to to sort through those links now and see what you've come up with there. I got a PM from a guy from the other forum and he told me to give him a call so I'll probably do that tomorrow.

hoosierlogger
12-23-2014, 10:26 PM
Good luck John! I'll be thinking about ya buddy. Gonna be hard to keep that wood stove full when you are on the road all of the time.

I gave a Mexican fella a ride from the truck stop to the auto parts store one day. One of his batteries dropped a cell and wouldn't crank the truck. He was hauling 3 high end cars on a goose neck trailer. When I helped him put the batteries in the truck and walked over to start it I noticed the odometer said 63X,XXX. i asked what year the truck was, it was an 04. That's a lot of time in a truck seat.

fabiodriven
12-24-2014, 12:47 AM
Good luck John! I'll be thinking about ya buddy. Gonna be hard to keep that wood stove full when you are on the road all of the time.

I'm not leaving yet Greg, just gathering intel. Dude, the first thing I thought about was the wood heat. Thankfully I got the walls insulated yesterday, so that will stave off freezing pipes much longer. Ceiling isn't done yet though. My roommate sucks at running the wood stove and wood furnace plus he's never here anyways. If I did start this winter I'd have to get clever with something.

Dave Little
12-24-2014, 04:17 AM
You could easily fill the role left by Roy Garber.

Jmoozy27
12-25-2014, 01:05 PM
There is ton of year round work down here. Do you have a x endorsement? It is kind of a necessity for my industry. Price of oil is down but that doesn't stop the hauling of equipment, vacuum truck services, waste transportation, etc. Also lots of work in the nw.