PDA

View Full Version : Chicken & sausage gumbo on Christmas

Jmoozy27
12-25-2014, 01:12 AM
Down at the bottom of the boot it is quite common to eat gumbo on Christmas Day. What is a common Christmas dish in your geographical location. Turkey? Ham? Deer? Fried Chicken???? Let us know what we are missing...:confused::beer:drool:

Ghostv2
12-25-2014, 09:10 AM
Ship some of that up north. That sounds awesome. My family seems to eat the usual ham and all.

Jwheeler
12-25-2014, 09:44 AM
That gumbo sounds good. Its going to be ham and all the trimmings.:beer

Buck Snort
12-25-2014, 12:03 PM
Turkey and ham. Some time in my life I want to get to Louisiana and try the real gumbo!

Jmoozy27
12-25-2014, 12:46 PM
Man you guys would love it. It's hard to find real gumbo anywhere north of interstate 10. Who does the cooking up there, men or women?

coolpool
12-25-2014, 12:55 PM
That does sound good! Getting to visit the Southern States and take in sound down home cooking is on my bucket list. We'll start the day with pancakes or eggs and moose maple breakfast sausages, followed by the regular turkey and such later on. The only real plan is to eat, eat again and eat some more till your uncomfortable.

Ghostv2
12-25-2014, 02:03 PM
Man you guys would love it. It's hard to find real gumbo anywhere north of interstate 10. Who does the cooking up there, men or women?

No real stereotype for cooking here. Pretty much who is best at is. At my house it's my mom because my dad pretty much only makes simple stuff like Mac and cheese and hot dogs. At my girlfriends it's usually her mom and dad cooking. He does the bigger stuff like turkey and ham.

We need to get a thread going around for northern and southerners to share recipes. Or recipes for wild game. Yum.

Jmoozy27
12-25-2014, 05:56 PM
I do all the cooking at the house. The women usually bring the side dishes. But I do the main courses. Gumbos, chickens, turkeys (fried), duck, hog, deer. What about anything exotic like elk, moose, or buffalo? Anybody ever shake up a holiday with an off the wall dish?

Chopsaw
12-25-2014, 10:44 PM
My wife side of the family was full Italian for the most part . On Christmas day we went to her aunts house for homemade ravioli , sausage , meatballs , pasta . All sorts of things I never had before I met her , that were just amazing non traditional for me . She passed away in 2008 ,,, so this year I had Jim Beam and a frozen pizza .

Chop

Jmoozy27
12-26-2014, 12:09 AM
Sorry to hear that chopsaw, if you were closer I would have brought you some gumbo & potato salad. Not that anything is wrong with Jim Beam & frozen pizza. I have lived off of less and it all makes a turd. Merry Christmas everybody.

Billy Golightly
12-26-2014, 09:07 AM
I make these normally. Halve a jalapeno, fill with cream cheese, wrap in bacon, and then bake + broil till done.

Jmoozy27
12-26-2014, 01:49 PM
Looks good, Triple Threat, Cant go wrong with that trio...

Jmoozy27
12-26-2014, 01:59 PM
Was forced to go to work today... Decided I wasn't going to do anything that I didn't feel like doing... Used company funds to whip up a little 'Black Pot Special'

Black eyed peas w/ salt pork, pork ribs, & jalepeno cheese smoked pork sausage.... PIYOW!!!!!:drool::D

Slingblade
12-26-2014, 02:20 PM
I have had the pleasure of feasting on the cajun cuisine of Louisiana and the Mississippi gulf coast, and there is nothing like it. Just a simple bowl of rice and sausage and I said, "How do they make this so good?" And then, "How do they get this much taste in a bowl of gumbo?" And then a genuine crawfish boil, twistin' and slurpin' like a starved mad man, I simply said "more".

We usually have one non-traditional meal during the holidays. A catfish fry, or sometimes just a big 'ol southern breakfast with bucket steak, biscuits and gravy, eggs and grits for dinner.

I always do jerkey at Christmas time. I fired up my dehydrator Fri. Forget the scent of fancy Christmas candles in my house, It's Dale's sauce, liquid smoke and the aroma of drying meat.

My kids, niece, nephew and friends can eat it faster than I make it. I dig the Christmas traditions of the tasty kind. Thanks for sharing Jmoozy.

Jmoozy27
12-26-2014, 02:38 PM
'Copy That Slingblade'

We eat, We drink, We share.... Its not worth cooking if your the only one eating... At that point your just practicing

83ATC185
12-26-2014, 05:26 PM
Down at the bottom of the boot it is quite common to eat gumbo on Christmas Day. What is a common Christmas dish in your geographical location. Turkey? Ham? Deer? Fried Chicken???? Let us know what we are missing...:confused::beer:drool:

We had this, and dressing, ham turkey, usual stuff. But we always eat 3 or 4 different places. I didn't know that was common down there it seemed off the wall but sure hit the spot.

Jmoozy27
12-26-2014, 07:24 PM
We do turkey and ham on thanksgiving and that's enough for me. After that it's gumbo on Christmas night. Ham, cabbage, and black eyed peas on New Year's Day.