PDA

View Full Version : New member.. Although, not new to the the 3 wheeler scene Recently picked up a 200X

Vdubin64
12-26-2014, 08:30 AM
Hi guys.. Pumped on my new purchase, although bike is in really poor shape.. I plan on doing a frame up restoration..
I grew up on three wheelers, and loved every minute of them.. I'm grown now, and have kids of my own, that have been riding 2 wheeled dirt bikes for a few years now.. My son, age 9 is really tripping out on the 200X.. He's amazed at the size of the tires . . Anyway, it's been sitting outside, for probably well over 10 years.. I checked the oil and it's really black .. I'm pretty mechanical, and will be doing most everything on my own.. There is an issue that I noticed right off of the bat.. . The kick start return system is not working.. I'm assuming that it's a broken return spring.. Anyone right off hand have any info on this ? I've not tried to start it.. Just noticed that it was hanging mid stroke..

Thanks in advance
Wade

Pickup_man
12-26-2014, 01:32 PM
Welcome to 3WW. It's great to see another 3-wheeler being brought back from the dead! As for the kicker issue, it sounds like a spring to me, but I'm no expert. If it goes through the whole stroke smoothly I would suspect the spring. I think it takes removal of part of the case to replace. If that's what it turns out to be PM me, I think I have one I can get you for cheap.

Vdubin64
12-27-2014, 04:52 AM
Thank you Pickup_man

I was contemplating tearing into it tonight, but it was nearly freezing in the garage (shop).. I'll be in contact, as soon as I figure out what's going on.. Thank you much !

Jwheeler
12-27-2014, 09:37 AM
Hey welcome to the site. There are alot of good poeple on this site, that can help you. What part of So Cal are you from? It looks to be a good father & son project. :welcome:

Vdubin64
12-29-2014, 01:39 AM
Hi guys, I'm from Oak Hill California.. Top of the Cajon pass about 2 hours South of Las Vegas.. Well, I had a few minutes tonight, so the boy and I, spent some quality time on it .. It definitely, is a spring issue, however I'm convinced, that I tore into the wrong side of the engine.. I located the spring, but it's behind the metal engine casting (none accessible from the clutch/Kick-start side). One end of the spring, is totally disconnected ! I can't tell, whether it's broken or just slipped off of where it's supposed to be connected ...Where should I post my findings, and or ask for help ? Being new to the site, and not having a ton of time, I've not really spent much time browsing around here.. Thanks guys..
I've posted a few YouTube vids on this teardown.. Titled "200X kick start" I will most likely, install new clutch plates while I'm on this side.. So, definitely not a total loss of labor..

beechkingd
12-29-2014, 02:41 PM
Good luck getting it back together.

Vdubin64
12-30-2014, 03:26 AM
Looks like I'll be splitting the entire lower end.. No Fun !! But, it definitely has to be right, before I continue on down, the restoration road..

hatc200x1
01-01-2015, 01:23 AM
But, it definitely has to be right..

If you follow this single principle that trike will be up and running reliably in no time!!! Welcome to the site!!!

How much did you grab that X for?

Vdubin64
01-02-2015, 09:26 AM
Thanks hatc200x1....

I can be pretty OCD, when it comes to certain things.. One of them, my bikes for sure..
I won the 200X on an Ebay auction.. It was located in the next town over (luckily).. I paid a grand total of $194.72.. I figure, I'll end up throwing a couple thousand dollars at it.. I should be able to make a significant difference, in its mechanics and appearance.. I now have the engine on my work bench.. I'm awaiting a case splitter (Ebay) before I can continue on..

Ryanq55
01-06-2015, 02:43 AM
Good luck on the build...I'm in Hesperia right by the golf course...I'm currently trying to finish up my '86 Tecate motor, then I have an 85 200X I want to finish that I started last year. I may be contacting you for input since sounds like your going through the whole thing too! haha

hatc200x1
01-07-2015, 11:51 AM
Keep us posted on your build!! Nice grab for under 200 bucks!

86125m
01-07-2015, 02:27 PM
That bike really doesn't look all that bad Rebuild the motor, get some new fenders, and new foam and cover I don't see it costing 2000 dollars to fix but i'm not looking at the bike for real.