PDA

View Full Version : Few questions about a 84 125m

Duckhunter1
01-04-2015, 05:20 PM
Purchased a 1984 125m three wheeler few days back. I have a few questions about it. First off it is pretty good shape has electric start which works great, first question is when I purchased it the gentleman said it only smokes till it warms up, but Doesnt seem to stop its not bad but still enough to make me not want to ride it. So is could there be any other issue with it besides it needing the rings replaced? Someone told me it may be running lean??? Also because it has electric start if the battery dies will it still pull start? What type of oil does the thing take? Sorry if this post seems dumb just trying to learn alittle about the machince and how to maintain it. Thanks for any help in advance

86125m
01-04-2015, 06:33 PM
Ok If its smoking its more than likely the rings but it could mean a few other things. If the battery dies you can still pull start it so no worries there. I just run 10w-30 conventional motor oil in all of my bikes and never had any problems. And no worries these are all good questions. Rebuilding the top end should not be too hard.

Duckhunter1
01-04-2015, 07:55 PM
If it's not the rings what else could it be? How do I replace the rings on this particular three wheeler? I've replaced rings on honda Fourwheeler before cant be to much different but what is the process of taking the top end off of a three wheeler? I was told do not run any type of car oil in it just Atv oil but not sure how true that is? I run Polaris brand oil in my Polaris Rzr just wasn't sure if there was a particular oil brand weight these things called for. Is there a place I can find or download a owners manual to the three wheeler thanks for the help 86125m

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B-1B
01-04-2015, 08:40 PM
I had a 200E that smoked but it turned out to be the Carburetor not leaning out. A rebuild fixed my issue. I usually just run the Honda 4-Stroke Oil from the dealership. By the way, watch your Shift Drum Stopper Arm...it's a common issue with that Model ATC

Duckhunter1
01-04-2015, 09:03 PM
What is the shift drum stopper arm?

tri again
01-05-2015, 01:26 PM
[QUOTE=Duckhunter1;1347671]What is the shift drum stopper arm?

You imagine those shift parts are tiny, as in teeny tiny and not much more stout than
a wind up alarm clock.
Some people use the shifter as a foot peg and some STOMP on them.

If it ever starts shifting funny and gears are not where they should be or hard to find neutral STOP riding it.
try the search key for "shift drum" and you'll see lots of pages.

You may also get away with some 99 cent valve seals to fix the smoking issue.

trike savior
01-05-2015, 06:56 PM
The big question is what color is the smoke. Blue smoke means you are burning oil and need rings or exhaust valve stem seal. (No intake seal on that motor). If black smoke you have carb issues and need a cleaning or rebuild.

Don't be scared to ride it. If you are burning oil just keep an eye on the oil level before you use it. Carry a spare plug with it because it can oil foul and leave you stranded without a spare. I have purchased bikes that had been ridden to the point the rings were super thin and it made almost no compression. They must have been smoking for a long time.

Duckhunter1
01-05-2015, 09:11 PM
Looks like white smoke to me I will try to post a video of it soon. I don't mind riding it just hate the smell honestly. As far as the shift drum I fear I may already have an issue if I leave the three wheeler in low ranges it moves and shifts fine but when I shift to high range it does not move at all should I be worried about this or am I not doing something right of course I have it in neutral when shifting between hi/lo range

B-1B
01-05-2015, 09:25 PM
I may be wrong, but I think Blue Smoke is Burning Oil and White Smoke is caused by Water/Condensation in your fuel. How old is your gas? Have you tried running fresh clean gas in it? You aren't mixing it with oil right? You might want to start with a tank of fresh gas (make sure your Tank is clean too). As for the Shift Stopper Arm, you'll know when it goes because it will only shift into 1st from Neutral, or might not even shift at all. The High/Low Issue you described is something I haven't dealt with yet.

Duckhunter1
01-05-2015, 09:35 PM
Haven't replaced the gas since I purchased it last week but I will definitely give that a try next thank you again b-1b also will a tank from a 82 200s fit it or will it be to big thanks

Duckhunter1
01-15-2015, 09:42 PM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/15/7a991de93df2f69f33e85ad4394cce4b.jpg

Have been working on the 125 off and on. Added wheels and tires off an old big red parts bike I have. Also when I purchased it the tank was leaking on both side someone did a bad jb weld job. Went to my local scrap yard and found a tank in great shape little rusty inside but will defiantly work once cleaned. Getting the seat recovered next week also have a new carb on order hoping between the new gas and carb it will stop smoking. Does anyone have any idea where to find rear plastic in decent shape? Thanks