PDA

View Full Version : 30 - 50 below zero? Thurs morning esp.? Farenheit wind chill.

tri again
01-05-2015, 02:04 PM
Hope everyone's ok.
I forget what it's like to live in that climate but I also used to make snow at ski areas
in my younger days.
I remember blowing 16 feet of snow over 2-300 feet at 18 below zero
during the midnight shift.

Glad we didn't know any better.
We'd go in the shop which was around 80 degrees to thaw equipment and we'd start shivering.
Then go back outside and sweat layers would refreeze and we'd warm back up...at 20 below.

Very strange.

El Camexican
01-05-2015, 07:44 PM
This is a trail in Northern Mexico last weekend. Ground was frozen solid. We might get snow in the city this Friday to boot. None of this was in the brochure!!!

atc007
01-05-2015, 07:55 PM
Soooooooooo...I need to come to freaking Mexico to ride sleds??? Still waiting for riding here in Northern PA :(((. 60 and raining yesterday. Frozen ground this AM.And 3 inches and 5 degrees coming tonight. It IS January,,,should be cold...

bkm
01-05-2015, 07:58 PM
This is a trail in Northern Mexico last weekend. Ground was frozen solid. We might get snow in the city this Friday to boot. None of this was in the brochure!!!

Good Lord it's beautiful there. My sister in law just moved outside of Denver and it looks very similar. They are trying to get us to relocate and keep sending pics like this. It's tough to not want to pull up stakes and move west.

But keeping with the theme of the the thread, it's not -50 here, but it's still pretty damn cold for me at 15 above right now.

El Camexican
01-05-2015, 08:29 PM
Don't forget that I don't post the bad pictures. Maybe this will help keep you State side.

It's a restaurant/mechanic shop at the bottom of the mountain. He's a wrench and she and the daughters cook. The parts washer is the same sink the dishes get washed in.

The town is called "San Antonio de las alazanas" and no one can tell me what that means in Spanish, so I've decided that it means, "Place to eat while you get your timing belt changed". I should add that this is far and away the nicest place to eat in that area, but considering what it cost me to eat the last time I was in Colorado I guess I can't complain.

Buck Snort
01-05-2015, 08:36 PM
I will have to tell my mechanic about this. I have spent lots of money there in the last 20 years and he has never fed me.
Don't forget that I don't post the bad pictures. Maybe this will help keep you State side.

It's a restaurant/mechanic shop at the bottom of the mountain. He's a wrench and she and the daughters cook. The parts washer is the same sink the dishes get washed in.

The town is called "San Antonio de las alazanas" and no one can tell me what that means in Spanish, so I've decided that it means, "Place to eat while you get your timing belt changed". I should add that this is far and away the nicest place to eat in that area, but considering what it cost me to eat the last time I was in Colorado I guess I can't complain.

Billy Golightly
01-05-2015, 09:17 PM
I'm the opposite problem here -

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

bkm
01-05-2015, 09:44 PM

207284207285Yeah, but how's the food????

El Camexican
01-05-2015, 09:53 PM
Soooooooooo...I need to come to freaking Mexico to ride sleds??? Still waiting for riding here in Northern PA :(((. 60 and raining yesterday. Frozen ground this AM.And 3 inches and 5 degrees coming tonight. It IS January,,,should be cold...

House across the street is up for sale buddy! Mi shop es tu shop;)

El Camexican
01-05-2015, 09:54 PM
On behalf of everyone I'd like to thank tri again for the use of this thread:lol:

El Camexican
01-05-2015, 09:57 PM
Yeah, but how's the food????

Fantastic! But you have to come early. Each morning she starts out with about 7 types of gorditas. By 5pm they are down to just a couple flavors. Places closes when the last bowl is scraped dry. The salsa is to die for! In fact I almost did the next day after my morning coffee!:lol:

tripledog
01-06-2015, 12:39 AM
Piston rings and onion rings under one roof? Pure genius! And yes, it is cold here, but not "double-digit negative" cold. BRRRR!

El Camexican
01-06-2015, 12:51 AM
Piston rings and onion rings under one roof? Pure genius!

Yea, it seems cool at first, but every time they bring a car in you have to pick up your plate and help move the chairs and table out of the way.

fabiodriven
01-06-2015, 01:29 AM
I'm extremely glad I just got the house insulated and that furnace installed as it is colder than a witch's tit here right now. Beautiful in the house though.

jakep53
01-06-2015, 07:31 AM
I dont seem to be having this problem reached 107º over the weekend haha

pipeline triker
01-06-2015, 12:53 PM
Been super cold here, schools all cancelled, church and many other things. We had -18 yesterday with -45 windchills. Today it feels warm @ -8 with wind chills around -20. My dad is in Florida right now and says it is to hot for him its in the 80's. My free air sleds are sure fast in these temps though.

keister
01-06-2015, 01:07 PM
-40F = -40C.
I always thought that was neat.
Carry on......

ironchop
01-06-2015, 01:15 PM
The parts washer is the same sink the dishes get washed in.

sounds like my kitchen...and the oven is where you bake on spray paint and make pizzas

The town is called "San Antonio de las alazanas" and no one can tell me what that means in Spanish,

from Wikipedia: "A mayan inscription decoded by scientists of the Eden Project indicates that San Antonio de las Alazanas is the safest place on the planet able to withstand any natural disaster that will occur during 2012 apocalypse."

Which is obviously why you are still standing now in 2015

so there`s that. You`re all set.

El Camexican
01-06-2015, 07:04 PM
"A mayan inscription decoded by scientists of the Eden Project indicates that San Antonio de las Alazanas is the safest place on the planet able to withstand any natural disaster that will occur during 2012 apocalypse."
I guess the Mayans knew a thing or two about marketing. Legend has it that property values in the area skyrocketed soon after the stone tablets were made public.:lol:

coolpool
01-07-2015, 02:43 PM
Big surprise here, -33C (-27F) on the truck dash this morning. Not sure what the wind chill was, didn't pay attention. At least the cats have a never ending supply of ice to lick on the inside of my new windows. What else is there to expect, I live in COLD Lake for frig sakes lol, nuff said;-). Hualtuco Mexico in February is looking mighty good right now.

Scootertrash
01-07-2015, 06:41 PM
Big surprise here, -33C (-27F) on the truck dash this morning. Not sure what the wind chill was, didn't pay attention. At least the cats have a never ending supply of ice to lick on the inside of my new windows. What else is there to expect, I live in COLD Lake for frig sakes lol, nuff said;-). Hualtuco Mexico in February is looking mighty good right now.

After -20 air temp nothing matters anymore. You can only get so numb. I worked outside for the whole Polar Vortex last winter. I've lived in Minnesota my whole life and I don't ever remember it being that cold for that long. I had to put wool socks on when I would go out and sunbathe in my speedo.

Scootertrash
01-07-2015, 06:57 PM
it is colder than a witch's tit here right now

In related news:

https://sardinereport.wordpress.com/2012/02/11/exact-temperature-of-witchs-teat-eludes-scientists/

Exact Temperature of Witch’s Teat Eludes Scientists
February 11, 2012 by Editor

Local Wiccans Resist Thermometers

ORONO – You may have heard some crotchety Downeast Mainer say that it is “colder than a witch’s teat” outside, but how cold is that, exactly?

Researchers at the University of Maine are determined to find out.

UMaine Climatologists Evan Urqhardt (left) and Jeff Churchill, doing something scientific.

“Usually, when someone says it’s ‘colder than a witch’s teat,’ you can assume the temperature is less than ten degrees Ferenheit,” says UMaine climatologist Jeff Churchill. “But there are variations, depending on whether the person was simply going out to get the mail, or was maybe trying to chop frozen firewood.”

Furthermore, sometimes people will instead say that it is “colder than a witch’s tit,” but there is no empirical data showing whether they are simply eschewing specificity for rhyme, or if they are referring to an entirely different temperature.

“From a scientific perspective, it’s frustrating to not have precision,” says Churchill.

So his team of researchers set out to measure the exact temperature of a witch’s mammary anatomy, but found a surprising dearth of female Wiccans in the area willing to subject their nipples and/or breasts to the climatology department’s two digital electroscopic thermometers, purchased with a federal grant in 2009 for $20,000 each.

“The number of people in Maine who are willing to self-identify as Wiccan, even for an anonymous academic study, is startlingly low,” said Churchill. “Of the few who did admit to some Pagan beliefs, none so far will let us hook them up.”

Gretchen Stanhope, President of Central Maine Wiccans, told The Sardine Report that the notion that witch’s teats are colder than anybody else’s is an unfortunate prejudicial stereotype.

“Every part of my body, breasts included, is quite warm, actually,” Stanhope insisted, a claim she regrettably would not allow this reporter to validate. “On behalf of Wiccans everywhere, I resent the idea that we should be ‘studied’ in such an objectified manner.”

This is what Gretchen Stanhope might look like if she were a real person.

But Churchill argues the potential benefits to science outweigh the risk of individuals taking personal offense. “Once we know the precise temperature of a witch’s teat, we can calculate how many of them we would need to place at or near the equator to counter the effects of climate change.”

When informed that participation in the study could lead to an all-expenses-paid trip to the Caribbean, Stanhope immediately called the Climatology Department to volunteer.

El Camexican
01-07-2015, 10:48 PM

Wind chill, like counting the prongs on both sides of a buck's rack is an American thing.

When I tell the odd gringo that wants to talk weather that I was doing door to door sales once at -76C with the wind chill in Regina years back and they think I'm lying. Heck, it was only -42C on the thermometers that hadn't frozen. That's the only number that matters when your trying to keep the beer bottles in the trunk from freezing cuz of the crazy laws against keeping them warm inside the truck cab.:crazy: