PDA

View Full Version : JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard)

manbearpig
01-10-2015, 01:36 PM
I learned something new today. Felt pretty silly not knowing this, but it felt slightly better that my 58yr old father was there with me learning the same thing for the first time.

What we commonly refer to as "Phillips" heads on our bikes are actually Japanese Industrial Standard Phillips heads. The cut of a JIS phillips head is a different angle than the standard US phillips. The standard US phillips will fit and will extract most JIS phillips head screws and bolts, but the fit is not perfect, and when you begin to torque on a stuck bolt, you risk stripping or marring your bolts.

Simple solution: purchase a set of JIS Phillips screwdrivers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_Industrial_Standards

http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k557/proct103/jis_phillips_zpsf5c9612e.png (http://s1115.photobucket.com/user/proct103/media/jis_phillips_zpsf5c9612e.png.html)

HarrisoN*
01-10-2015, 02:11 PM
yup. you wanna get a set of vessel screwdrivers.

manbearpig
01-10-2015, 03:15 PM
Saw the Vessel brand, but was sold on the Hozan brand by a friend who recommended them

coolpool
01-10-2015, 09:38 PM
Thanks mbp, learned something new!

YTZ drew
01-11-2015, 09:19 AM
I just learned that about a year ago. Explains why when I was a kid I stripped tons of "phillips" screws until I bought an impact driver. On the bright side, since few know this, the damage left behind from typical removal methods is the calling card of previous work done to a used machine when looking at a potential purchase. I think of it as a "tell".

BOB MARLIN
01-11-2015, 09:48 AM
There was a thread on here before about this. That how I learned why I've always had problems with the "Philips" on my bikes. I started replacing the screws with Allen heads.

poolieZerUK
01-12-2015, 03:38 PM
For ease of identification JIS screws usually have a dot stamped in them on the head near where the driver fits
if you look at the screws on Makita power tools they are there
a hex philips bit in a cordless impact driver gets the little buggers out no probs so long as you match the right # Ph bit ie 1, 2, or 3

atc007
01-20-2015, 03:33 PM
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/168092-Phillips-head-and-J-I-S-screw-head-I-did-not-know-this?highlight=phillips

All great info. The things we go through life NOT knowing,,,,,,,gggggg lol. Deserves a bump for those who didn't know.
Best deal I saw on a set of Hozans,, Vessels are 10 bucks more..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hozan-4-Piece-Cross-Point-Screwdriver-Set-Fits-JIS-Phillips-Screws-/121519494490?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c4b20555a

Rob Canadian
04-19-2018, 07:22 PM
I had to bump this tread. I just bought a Mac Tools impact driver kit and asked them about JIS bits as I just came across someone saying about them on Bookface.

Mac Tools is looking into it for me. Holy. I never knew about the JIS screwdriver!!!!

Basically the same kit I bought.

fabiodriven
04-19-2018, 07:39 PM
Thanks for the bump. I meant to get some JIS screwdrivers and forgot.

jb2wheels
04-19-2018, 07:54 PM
I know this is a zombie thread, but ....

I like this setup from Motion Pro:
https://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-T-Handle-Cross-Head-08-0557/dp/B00M9IKK0Q

You can also get individual bits.

Rob Canadian
04-19-2018, 08:04 PM
Thanks for the bump. I meant to get some JIS screwdrivers and forgot.

I will try and get a pic of my co-workers phillips head bit he has. It is also made by Mac. It is not JIS. It has a different pattern. Thought it was JIS until I looked it up tonight.

Most of my stuff is SnapOn with a bit of mix.

200xman
04-20-2018, 06:32 AM
Just to share my useless knowledge this morning, as far as I know there is regular phillips, JIS, Reed Prince and Posidrive that all are similar to one another. There may be others but thats all I have come across.

keister
04-20-2018, 04:13 PM
I bought my first set of JIS screwdrivers this year. It made a world of difference. They don't cam out of the + like Phillips heads do.
And believe me, I know a thing or 2 about stripping out screw heads.
Now it's a matter of keeping my friends from using them as a punch or drift.

Rob Canadian
06-13-2018, 07:27 PM
I bought my first set of JIS screwdrivers this year. It made a world of difference. They don't cam out of the + like Phillips heads do.
And believe me, I know a thing or 2 about stripping out screw heads.
Now it's a matter of keeping my friends from using them as a punch or drift.

What brand did you get? And what sizes?

Going to order a set very soon. Is there a certain size(s) that I should be looking for. Debating on getting a set or individual ones.

Vessel vrs. Hozan. Thanks.

DAM shop
06-13-2018, 08:35 PM
I picked up some Hozan ones but looking for a different brand, these work but I think there is better quality worth having.

Arky-X
06-13-2018, 10:10 PM
Following this thread.

I had no idea of JIS until I was taking that f$(*#$*(@&#(-ing rotor screw out of my disc brake rotor on my Honda Accord several months ago. Beat on it with a phillips, got an impact driver on it, broke several phillips bits. Finally drilled them out.

I need a set of JIS and some reverse or left hand drill bits. Life is a whole lot easier with the right tools.

deathman53
06-14-2018, 04:27 PM
Just to share my useless knowledge this morning, as far as I know there is regular phillips, JIS, Reed Prince and Posidrive that all are similar to one another. There may be others but thats all I have come across.

there is also a type of screwdriver tips/screw heads that is specific gun smithing too. As gun smithing/screw head types have changed over time, some of them are so small of difference, but when you are working on a ww1 or ww2 era gun you want the "correct" size to not damage anything. I can tell you, my 1942 springfield 1903 has different screw head/thread types than my other guns.

200xman
06-15-2018, 06:22 AM
there is also a type of screwdriver tips/screw heads that is specific gun smithing too. As gun smithing/screw head types have changed over time, some of them are so small of difference, but when you are working on a ww1 or ww2 era gun you want the "correct" size to not damage anything. I can tell you, my 1942 springfield 1903 has different screw head/thread types than my other guns.

I don't doubt it. Ive been a mechanic for 30 years and I'm pretty sure there is a conspiracy between the hardware and tool makers. They seem to come out with a new type of fastener every few years that require a different set of tools to remove/install.

ironchop
06-15-2018, 09:10 AM
I don't doubt it. Ive been a mechanic for 30 years and I'm pretty sure there is a conspiracy between the hardware and tool makers. They seem to come out with a new type of fastener every few years that require a different set of tools to remove/install.*Cough" Volkswagen stuff *cough*

Female Torx *cough*

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

Arky-X
06-15-2018, 09:20 AM
Female Torx *cough*

Female Torx?
But what if the fastener identifies itself as a bisexual stainless left handed threaded phillips screw?

ironchop
06-15-2018, 09:21 AM
Female Torx?
But what if the fastener identifies itself as a bisexual stainless left handed threaded phillips screw?TransTorx[emoji769]

coolpool
06-15-2018, 11:06 AM
TransTorx[emoji769]

Also known as a "Jenner" Torx

El Camexican
06-15-2018, 01:51 PM
Ya made me pee .........Pete ! ...........

Standing or squatting?

200xman
06-15-2018, 07:24 PM
Best thread about screws ever! Too bad Barnett isn't here.:w00t:

Arky-X
06-15-2018, 09:46 PM

I know right.....I like a good screw

El Camexican
06-15-2018, 10:31 PM

If he was the topic would be loose screws

oldskool83
06-18-2018, 01:23 PM
This is why everyone's stripped on the bike lol. I knew this for years. I replace with hex or Allen heads anyware.