PDA

View Full Version : starer soleniod Test

chuckyj95
01-11-2015, 06:28 PM
Ok so I just the starter on my 84 125m and it turned no problem. so next in line to test is the solenoid. Is there a easy way to test it?

Atc70noob
01-21-2015, 08:16 AM
In the manual it says to check for an audible click when you engage power to it, I am sure you can feel the click if you put your hand on it as well. I usually just jump the terminals with a screwdriver to check the starter, Id imagine the solenoid is working if that works as well.

YTZ drew
01-21-2015, 09:55 PM
If it clicks when you hit the button, you know both the button and the solenoid coil are OK, but not necessarily the contacts inside.

If no click, you'll need to check the low current side of the solenoid first. If you have a test light, ground its alligator clip and use the probe end to check for voltage on each of the small wires. One should make the test light glow. Then move the alligator clip to the + battery terminal, and probe the other small wire while pushing the start button. If the button supplies ground as it should then the light will glow. Some bikes are wired backwards, the solenoid is always grounded and the button supplies power. Either way, the test light should confirm if your wiring is OK, or the solenoid is dead. In the absence of a test light, use a taillight bulb with a couple of wires added to it.

If the solenoid clicks but the starter won't turn, check the contacts by shorting across them like Atc70noob said. If that makes the starter turn but the solenoid can't, then the contacts inside are burned up. But, make sure it clicks when you hit the button. That's what you need to check first.

If the starter still doesn't turn when jumping the solenoid, you probably have a bad starter motor. The brushes sometimes land on a dead spot on the armature inside, that's why sometimes they start and sometimes they don't. Just depends on where the starter felt like coming to a rest the last time it spun.