PDA

View Full Version : evinrude motored drag car

poolieZerUK
01-14-2015, 05:04 PM
Don't know how I came across this but worth a butchers

http://jalopnik.com/this-guy-is-making-a-two-stroke-v8-volvo-amazon-becaus-1672488445

A bit of volume to appreciate the exhaust fabrication

http://www.enginelabs.com/news/video-evinrude-300xp-two-stroke-v8-engine-sounds-insane/

Will be good to see it finished, those guys usually come over to UK in the summer to drag race

Billy Golightly
01-14-2015, 08:18 PM
I saw this about a week ago with the engine in the car - the guy is my hero as I've wanted to build something like that for the last 10 years. I bet it is fricken naaaaaasty on the road!

El Camexican
01-14-2015, 09:43 PM
Yea that's pretty cool, but he can only drive it as far as the lawn hose reaches:crazy:

200xman
01-15-2015, 07:42 AM
Cool project but I hope he can keep it together. They were not the most reliable of outboards, mostly because of 8 carbs. I saw quite a few in the day running on 7 cylinders because a rod was hanging out of the block.

trike savior
01-15-2015, 09:49 AM
Yeah that is an awesome idea. The motor running video was on here about a year ago.

If you look at the yellow tape over the intake near the front subframe, he has come up with some kind of injection system and got rid of the carbs.

But I have no idea how he thinks the top end will get any lubrication running mixed gas. Oil is heavy and that is a long way for it to go. The last thread we had about this, someone found a dune buggy on a dyno with a 2 stroke outboard. It was turned on its side which I think is a better idea.

onformula1
01-16-2015, 01:53 AM
In high school we build a mid engine sand rail frame for our shop teacher, and we used a Johnson 275hp outboard boat engine with a beefed up VW IRS transaxle with a custom adapter plate. It flew at Glamis! 2-strokes rule.

poolieZerUK
01-16-2015, 08:48 AM
In high school we build a mid engine sand rail frame for our shop teacher, and we used a Johnson 275hp outboard boat engine with a beefed up VW IRS transaxle with a custom adapter plate. It flew at Glamis! 2-strokes rule.

We didn't get to do shite like that at school, think I made a toast rack:wondering

Billy Golightly
01-16-2015, 07:44 PM
I would have stayed in school for stuff like that, ha!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

onformula1
01-16-2015, 11:35 PM
We had a very cool teacher his name was Mr. Freeman and he was quite the free spirit. Older guy, Glamis manic, hot young chicks everwhere...unreal! Fun times.

He would come to me and my buddy and say hey you guys have been doing this all your lives do you want to build a sand rail and a Mazda pre-runner truck?
OR weld a bunch of scrap together? Plus you get a budget & a A+ grade for the year.

We didn't think about it for long! LOL

thcowboy
02-12-2015, 12:14 AM
Yeah i found that on youtube about 6 months ago. Its pretty cool. Isnt the expansion chamber for well, expansion because the exhaust is still burning some when it comes out?:wondering

poolieZerUK
02-12-2015, 06:24 AM
Flames are good no?