PDA

View Full Version : Please help!!

Randy Savage
01-19-2015, 07:55 AM
I have a 1985 125M . was riding it yesterday doing donuts in the snow in my yard. started and ran fine, then just died about 5 minuites in. I cannot get this thing started back up. I have had it it since September and it always starts 2nd or 3rd pull.

Spark plug didn't look to good so i thought that was it, changed the plug still wont start.

pretty bummed about it, machine is in great shape otherwise looks new

when i could get it started, it would smoke a bit on start then clear after a few minuites. Not sure if that has anything to do with it

any help would be appreciated
..... THANKS

Samjp22
01-19-2015, 09:28 AM
still getting spark?

Randy Savage
01-19-2015, 09:52 AM
still getting spark?

well... its a pull start, engine does turn and the neutral light will come on on while i'm pulling

How do in know if im getting a spark or not? I pulled out the new plug and the plug did smell like gas

muthey
01-19-2015, 11:55 AM
ok first off you need to check if you are getting spark which means either pulling the pull start while having the spark plug plugged in and the tip against the motor, or attaching a battery which yes an 85 125m does have electric start and pushing on the start button. If yours doesn't have electric start then it is an 84. You can do this by yourself but if you need to recruit a friend to help hold the plug by the cap and do not touch the motor when you are pulling the pull start. Have only the tip of the spark plug touch one of the cylinder fins and watch for a blue spark jumping across the plug armature. using electric start is much easier in this way to do by your self. If you don't have spark you need to start checking your ground wires and work your way carefully through the electrical system. I highly recommend getting a manual for this, you can download one here http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/ Or purchase one your choice.

Randy Savage
01-19-2015, 12:08 PM
ok first off you need to check if you are getting spark which means either pulling the pull start while having the spark plug plugged in and the tip against the motor, or attaching a battery which yes an 85 125m does have electric start and pushing on the start button. If yours doesn't have electric start then it is an 84. You can do this by yourself but if you need to recruit a friend to help hold the plug by the cap and do not touch the motor when you are pulling the pull start. Have only the tip of the spark plug touch one of the cylinder fins and watch for a blue spark jumping across the plug armature. using electric start is much easier in this way to do by your self. If you don't have spark you need to start checking your ground wires and work your way carefully through the electrical system. I highly recommend getting a manual for this, you can download one here http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/ Or purchase one your choice.

ok.... thanks for the info... i will give it a try

86125m
01-19-2015, 08:03 PM
the 84 had an electric starter as well it was the 110 that didn't have the electric starter.

Randy Savage
01-20-2015, 10:29 AM
ok.... thanks for the info... i will give it a try

I tried this out and trike does have a spark. gave a quick overview of wires everything seems ok. fuse is good. spark plug is good...

could it be a coil?

muthey
01-20-2015, 06:18 PM
sounds more like a timing issue to me, I would check that and adjust your valves as well. Lots of little things can go wrong as these 30 yr old motors start to wear out. I'm not saying it can't be your coil but depending on your spark color if it was a fat blue spark, and not a thin orange spark then it should be fine. I also recommend doing a compression check as well. The basics of a running motor are spark, fuel, compression. After you have ascertained you have all that it is adjustment to fuel to make it a good running motor. timing affects compression and fuel so that's where I would check next.

Randy Savage
01-20-2015, 06:21 PM
muthey... thanks for the info