PDA

View Full Version : Sawmills

HondaXRider
01-22-2015, 11:01 PM
I know there's some Sawyer's and loggers on here so what brand of mill is everyone running? We will soon be replacing are mill which is a JC saw(a nock off of a Baker) we have ran it for about 14 years and it is starting to get tired. We are getting a new Timberking 2000. Very interested in hearing what every one is running.

hoosierlogger
01-23-2015, 07:00 AM
Our sawmill is all HMC from the debarker to the trim saw. I work in the woods, so I am not around it much at all. I can tell you it makes a lot of lumber.

HondaXRider
01-23-2015, 09:45 AM
We use to have a Jackson full hydrologic circle mill and we would cut a semi load of logs a day. But we also had an 8 man crew to keep up with it.

hoosierlogger
01-23-2015, 12:46 PM
With our bandsaw set up right, our mill can saw 40 truck loads of logs a day

HondaXRider
01-23-2015, 02:27 PM
That's awsome! Is it a vertical mill? What do you guy's normally saw grade lumder, cants or railroad ties?
Sorry for all the questions but there aint very many big mills here in Okie land lol

hoosierlogger
01-23-2015, 05:35 PM
Ours is a verticle mill. With a debarker, head saw with an optimizer on it that displays the most efficient way to saw the log depending on the internal defects picked up by the scanner. Next in line is a re saw, then it goes to the edger,. After that the boards get graded and marked for trim leingth. After that they go to the trim saw. After the trim saw the boards drop down onto the green chain where the boards are sorted by grade and leingth and stacked onto one of 26 lumber carts.

We saw everything. Mostly hardwoods 4/4, 5/4, 6/4, 12/4, up to 16/4 maple and walnut for export to Europe. The company was started over 100 years ago as a portable mill sawing railroad ties. And has progressed into high grade lumber. We have 3 sawmills in indiana.

YTZ drew
01-23-2015, 06:39 PM
My father in law has a Woodmizer, LT30 I think the model is. He brought it over to my house and I started sawing with it just before the cold weather hit. I have cut probably 150-200 board feet, not much by any stretch, but then again a lumberjack I am not. That being said, its not a difficult machine to get the hang of, and I plan on cutting more in the spring. I have quite a few trees down and limbed, just waiting. My plans are dimensional lumber for a chicken coop, and hopefully enough boards to finish the room over my garage and basement in tongue-and-grooved pine.

HondaXRider
01-23-2015, 08:34 PM
Ours is a verticle mill. With a debarker, head saw with an optimizer on it that displays the most efficient way to saw the log depending on the internal defects picked up by the scanner. Next in line is a re saw, then it goes to the edger,. After that the boards get graded and marked for trim leingth. After that they go to the trim saw. After the trim saw the boards drop down onto the green chain where the boards are sorted by grade and leingth and stacked onto one of 26 lumber carts.

We saw everything. Mostly hardwoods 4/4, 5/4, 6/4, 12/4, up to 16/4 maple and walnut for export to Europe. The company was started over 100 years ago as a portable mill sawing railroad ties. And has progressed into high grade lumber. We have 3 sawmills in indiana.

Now thats a sawmill!

HondaXRider
01-23-2015, 08:42 PM
My father in law has a Woodmizer, LT30 I think the model is. He brought it over to my house and I started sawing with it just before the cold weather hit. I have cut probably 150-200 board feet, not much by any stretch, but then again a lumberjack I am not. That being said, its not a difficult machine to get the hang of, and I plan on cutting more in the spring. I have quite a few trees down and limbed, just waiting. My plans are dimensional lumber for a chicken coop, and hopefully enough boards to finish the room over my garage and basement in tongue-and-grooved pine.
Woodmizer makes a good mill. There is several of them around here. Just not are preferred set up in a mill.

p.s Did you ever get a hold of your friend with the book on a KDX 250 just wondering
Thanks

YTZ drew
01-24-2015, 02:24 PM
p.s Did you ever get a hold of your friend with the book on a KDX 250 just wondering
Thanks

I'm sorry, I didn't forget about you, but he still hasn't called me back. I will pester him tonight. I'm restoring (slowly in my spare time) an IT465 for him, so I should be able to lean on him a little bit.

Buck Snort
01-24-2015, 03:42 PM
The mill I work at is now a very modern operation. They have been pouring the money to the place and it is very automated. I work in the planer mill part. The planer generally runs 220 boards a minute on 9' 2X4 and 180 boards a minute on 2X6. The auto grader has taken the place of twelve people grading. I simply watch the auto grader and make sure it is grading properly. Not sure how many logging truck loads the sawmill goes through a day but it must be a lot. We have 4 saw boxes with the first box having 11 saws in it. After the saws we have a bin system with 40 bins, that are supposed to auto dump(lol) . Then on to a stacker, strapper, a robot arm that paints the end of the loads and finally a another bunch of robot arms that wrap and staple lumber tarps to the load. It is funny, most of us left working have been at this mill for many years and for the most part are a little overwhelmed with all this new high-tech equipment.

HondaXRider
01-24-2015, 06:03 PM
I'm sorry, I didn't forget about you, but he still hasn't called me back. I will pester him tonight. I'm restoring (slowly in my spare time) an IT465 for him, so I should be able to lean on him a little bit.

Ok Thanks for remembering.

HondaXRider
01-24-2015, 06:10 PM
The mill I work at is now a very modern operation. They have been pouring the money to the place and it is very automated. I outwork in the planer mill part. The planer generally runs 220 boards a minute on 9' 2X4 and 180 boards a minute on 2X6. The auto grader has taken the place of twelve people grading. I simply watch the auto grader and make sure it is grading properly. Not sure how many logging truck loads the sawmill goes through a day but it must be a lot. We have 4 saw boxes with the first box having 11 saws in it. After the saws we have a bin system with 40 bins, that are supposed to auto dump(lol) . Then on to a stacker, strapper, a robot arm that paints the end of the loads and finally a another bunch of robot arms that wrap and staple lumber tarps to the load. It is funny, most of us left working have been at this mill for many years and for the most part are a little overwhelmed with all this new high-tech equipment.

Lol are new mill will be coming with computer set works and my dad will be the many one running it. He just now got a smart phone and gets mad at it daily. So this should be interesting.