PDA

View Full Version : 85 200s timing chain

shdtreemechanic
01-23-2015, 02:36 PM
I just got a 200s yesterday it has new piston and rings ,the bike was out of time we timed it 3 times and it has great compression the timing chain has about 3/8 of an inch of slack on both sides of the cam gear and it has been adjusted to the max, the bike will try to start and it will spit and pop I was wondering if maybe the chain is jumping time? im at my wits end trying to figure this out and any help will be greatly appreciated thanks Jesse

shortline10
01-23-2015, 03:08 PM
Replace the timing chain , very easy on that motor , remove the top cdi / cam cover , remove the flywheel cover and replace . You will need a flywheel puller as well .

shdtreemechanic
01-23-2015, 04:14 PM
Replace the timing chain , very easy on that motor , remove the top cdi / cam cover , remove the flywheel cover and replace . You will need a flywheel puller as well .

Does the side case have to be split? And do you think that will fix my problem? Also the clutch has been adjusted so much that it only shifts down twice but it wont go up at all do you have any suggestions on this?

shortline10
01-23-2015, 04:38 PM
Unless your timing chain tensioners are bad just the cam cover and flywheel cover need to be remove to replace the timing chain .
Sounds like the clutch adjuster slipped off its pivot , remove the clutch cover and inspect .

shdtreemechanic
01-23-2015, 05:25 PM
Thanks man I'll check it out. Also would a 200es big red timing chain work on the. 200s? I have a big red for parts

shortline10
01-23-2015, 08:31 PM
Yes same chain