PDA

View Full Version : 85 Honda 200s clutch qeustion/problem

shdtreemechanic
01-24-2015, 10:36 AM
Ok so im got this bike pretty reasonable it needs some minor work but anyways the gears shift up on this model it rolls like its in neutral but the gear shift wont shift up at all it will go down two clicks. One the clutch adjustment screw the screw is backed out all the way and I cant screw it neither way could the clutches be so bad that the bike wont shift? or could something be broke? If it helps the shifter has at least 2 inches of play up and down. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks. Jesse

shdtreemechanic
01-24-2015, 06:17 PM
Ok let me set the story straight this bike shifts up, so it will shift up twice and will not go up anymore. Does this particular one have to be running and riding to cycle the gears or what? I really need some input from someone who knows but any and all help is welcomed. Thanks Jesse

Samjp22
01-24-2015, 06:59 PM
Try rolling the trike back and forth, this may engage the transmission then you might be able to shift it some more. Aren't 200s' 4 down or 5 down though? I don't have one but most trikes are

knipfeldustin
01-24-2015, 07:28 PM
Should be five gears down. If you shifted up twice and it won't go anymore it's because it's in neutral.

shdtreemechanic
01-24-2015, 08:17 PM
Should be five gears down. If you shifted up twice and it won't go anymore it's because it's in neutral.

Well I thought the same thing cause my 185 were all down but this is an 85 and they are up it even shows it on the pull rope cover. And when I started today after timing it the shifter was down pulled it up and took off. Thanks for the quick reply everyone keep them coming, Jesse

knipfeldustin
01-24-2015, 09:24 PM
I wonder if you have a different motor in it. An. 85 200s motor should be 5 down. I have a one and it shifts down 1-2-3-4-5 have any pics of it ?

knipfeldustin
01-24-2015, 09:28 PM
Maybe you have a 200es ? Does your motor have hi/low sub transmission on the side ?

shdtreemechanic
01-24-2015, 10:00 PM
Maybe you have a 200es ? Does your motor have hi/low sub transmission on the side ?
No hi and low sub trans. I also have a 200es and the gears are all down on it. I know this is a 200 maybe this was one of those half a year changes or something but im not sure like i said on the recoil cover it even shows neutral all the way down and 5 gears up. Well can anyone give an idea as to why the bike wont shifter pas two gears? Could it be because the clutch adjustment is all the out? Any help is always welcomed. Jesse

trikejunkie
01-24-2015, 11:39 PM
A 1985 200s does have 5 up gears I personally own one with original motor (bored with 12:1 compression :) anyway like the previous person said try moving back and forth while shifting. If nothing, could have a bad shift fork or something in the transmission.

Jtrio5
01-28-2016, 04:01 PM
Hello all. I am a new member and am unable to start my own post at this time. Sorry for using this thread but it is kinda related. I'm having an issue with my clutch on my Honda 200. I was playing around in the snow the other day and rolled it. It didn't roll but once but now my clutch is not working right. I went out to my garage after it happened and went to start it and the clutch was stuck. I was able to rock it back and forth and found two gears but that's it. I am unable to start it because it will not go in neutral. I'm wandering if I stepped on the clutch lever too hard and if so what would be wrong with it. When I push down on the clutch lever it does go down even after the two good gears but it doesn't make the sound of switching gears. Any help would be greatly appreciated. When I go to push back and forth there is not much play in the back end at all. its pretty tight. Thanks in advance

n8r
01-28-2016, 04:36 PM
1984 200s was the last year of shifting down to go up through the gears. 85'S shift up