PDA

View Full Version : Mustang GT 4.6 3v camshaft swap.

Trike_crazy
01-25-2015, 12:05 PM
I finally got around to swapping out the camshafts and putting the cam phaser limiters in my brothers 07 mustang gt. Let me tell you... it was a pain in the butt. But its all buttoned up other then the pcv catch can that I have to make a bracket for and the tune for the setup. Heres a few pictures of the work

Right side teardown
cam phaser limiter installed
new cam installed
left side teardown
new valve covers
left side going back together
And this is how she sits as of now!

Trike_crazy
01-25-2015, 12:09 PM
This is how I got my lighting since mine suck so bad in my garage as it is now. It worked great!

RIDE-RED 250r
01-25-2015, 12:45 PM
I did a head swap on the Highway Dept's 06 F-250 with the 5.4 3v this past summer.,..

What a miserable SOB to work on! I'll take pushrods, thanks... ;)

Looks like you have the same design with that 4.6. Fun fun! Good work! :beer

big specht
01-25-2015, 04:34 PM
Once you do 20 or 30 of those jobs they are easyer than you think. Lol I worked for a ford dealer for around 12 years I've had and seen a lot of them apart

slashfan7964
01-26-2015, 02:14 AM
I won't touch a mod motor. And that's coming from a diehard Ford guy.

big specht
01-26-2015, 09:23 AM
They are a good motor as long as you change the oil regularly and keep your plugs tight on the non 3valve ones

RIDE-RED 250r
01-26-2015, 05:49 PM
They are a good motor as long as you change the oil regularly and keep your plugs tight on the non 3valve ones

And replace the cam chain tensioners and guides... and change those lousy sparkplugs before they seize in and pull apart when you attempt to remove them... ;)

That is what led to my shop having to replace the whole head. He wanted to change the plugs and had heard about those plugs that pull apart, so the boss decided to take the truck to a local auto repair shop to change the plugs. Of course, 2 or 3 of them broke off. Well, he managed to get all but one out. And in the course of messing with the last one, made it impossible for that special puller to do the job. So after many other attempts from various people, we pulled the head and took it to a machine shop. Things were so screwed up they couldn't even extract the plug tip without damaging the head... I know that sounds a little weird, I don't recall the details of what happened.. All I know is the head was junk.

So, $1000 and a week and a half worth of work later, truck got a new head assembly... and still skips in OD! BAH!!!! LOL!

I'll give Ford credit for thinking outside the box and coming out with that DOHC V-8.... Other than those terrible sparkplugs they used early on, it does seem like a good mill. Is it better than a GM 6.0?? IDK... I haven't owned a GM truck with a 6.0. But I can say I have NEVER had any issues with my 5.3s and I have owned 3 of them now, running the last one up to 160k. But back to the 5.4 3v, I have been told they are using 1 piece plugs now. If you look at the old style plugs, you can see a crimped seam around the base. Unreal and unfortunate that such a nothing part could be such a PITA.

You guys gotta appreciate what I just said here, I am a die hard GM/MOPAR guy! LOL! :beer

slashfan7964
01-26-2015, 10:37 PM
The only mod motor I somewhat like is the new Coyote 5.0. The rest of them have been trash in my experiences. No thank you lol. Gimme a pushrod all day.

yamaha225dr
01-26-2015, 11:39 PM
I own three vehicles with mod motors, a mustang with89k miles, F150 with 144k miles and an Expedition with 237k miles. I don't have any complaints with reliability.

ebaccm26
01-27-2015, 01:24 AM
Loved the 4.6 4V in my Mach 1, never gave me any reliability issues. Although to be fair I wouldn't want to have to set the timing on the DOHC 4v, heard it is a real PITA the first time around. Performance wise mod motors are a great platform for boost but not so much for a n/a build. Plus it's not uncommon for them to go for 300k+ miles, there is a reason that the crown vic was so successful for use as taxi's and police cars...

RIDE-RED 250r
01-27-2015, 07:28 AM
Loved the 4.6 4V in my Mach 1, never gave me any reliability issues. Although to be fair I wouldn't want to have to set the timing on the DOHC 4v, heard it is a real PITA the first time around. Performance wise mod motors are a great platform for boost but not so much for a n/a build. Plus it's not uncommon for them to go for 300k+ miles, there is a reason that the crown vic was so successful for use as taxi's and police cars...

If the 4v's are anything like the 3v's you don't know how right you are!

What had me chasing my tail was the fact that Ford changed the timing marks on the cam phasers at least twice and initially my researching the procedure was only getting me instructions on the first type... Had my cam 180 deg out of phase initially... Thankfully nothing hits with the cam 180 out..

Having the internet in your back pocket with the phone is a godsend when you need some info "right now" as you are trying to button up a job!

OK, allow me a dumb question... What are you guys referring to when you say a MOD engine??? Somehow I don't think you are talking about modified....

yamaha225dr
01-27-2015, 03:22 PM
Mod= Modular

That is what Ford codenamed the OHC engines cause they could interchange parts. All 4.6's can use parts from any other 4.6, the same with the 5.4, you can also use most parts from a 4.6 on a 5.4 vise versa.

slashfan7964
01-27-2015, 04:50 PM
Mod= Modular

That is what Ford codenamed the OHC engines cause they could interchange parts. All 4.6's can use parts from any other 4.6, the same with the 5.4, you can also use most parts from a 4.6 on a 5.4 vise versa.

Pretty much. It's a nickname based on it's code name similarly to how Ford called 351C's Clevelands and the Windsor engines Windsors.

ebaccm26
01-27-2015, 06:36 PM
Mod= Modular

This is somewhat true but the name originally related to the way in which they were manufactured being that they were all made in the same plant and the assembly line and machinery acted in a modular fashion.

Technically many other engines are mod motors including the newer 5.0 coyote and the triton v10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trike_crazy
01-27-2015, 11:25 PM
Working on this car has been a fun experience. This car just about every bolt on you could want. Airaid cold air intake, Ford Racing twin 62mm throttle body, Ford Racing hi performance intake, MSD coils, Ford Racing spark plugs, Comp Cams XE261L camshafts, Comp Cams phaser limiters, Pypes headers and full exhaust with X pipe and Steeda underdrive pulleys. The car has also been lowered but I'm not sure how much, aftermarket sway bars on both ends and wheels and tires.

Trike_crazy
01-27-2015, 11:28 PM
This was taken after I installed the billet grille. I have a chin spoiler that I'm supposed to install but im waiting for my buddy to paint it.

Trike_crazy
01-27-2015, 11:31 PM
I took this right after I brought the car to my house sent the picture to my brother so he could rest assured that his baby was put up out of the elements lol.

RIDE-RED 250r
01-28-2015, 07:28 AM
Working on this car has been a fun experience. This car just about every bolt on you could want. Airaid cold air intake, Ford Racing twin 62mm throttle body, Ford Racing hi performance intake, MSD coils, Ford Racing spark plugs, Comp Cams XE261L camshafts, Comp Cams phaser limiters, Pypes headers and full exhaust with X pipe and Steeda underdrive pulleys. The car has also been lowered but I'm not sure how much, aftermarket sway bars on both ends and wheels and tires.

Just knowing how much the replacement head assembly for that 5.4 cost, I would say there is a small fortune wrapped up in that engine!!

Side note: I'm glad Ford decided to get with the times and manufacture engines with a level of parts interchangeability between engines of the same family but different displacement.. You know, kinda like GM started doing in what, 1968?? LOL! :beer

Trike_crazy
01-28-2015, 01:02 PM
Yeah, there was some interchangeably on some of the older ford motors. But nothing like the GM stuff. I'm a die hard old ford truck guy and I guess I just don't like the "easy way" with GM. Lol.

And yes there is a small fortune in this motor lol. I tried talking him into a supercharger/turbo setup but he doesn't have the up front money to buy the kit. As of now the car is a few payments away from being totally paid off and then he might save for some other parts. But we have been looking at doing another project like a Mitsubishi starion/Chrysler conquest with an LS, new 5.0 or turbo v6 swap

slashfan7964
01-28-2015, 03:39 PM
Just knowing how much the replacement head assembly for that 5.4 cost, I would say there is a small fortune wrapped up in that engine!!

Side note: I'm glad Ford decided to get with the times and manufacture engines with a level of parts interchangeability between engines of the same family but different displacement.. You know, kinda like GM started doing in what, 1968?? LOL! :beer

Interchangeability with older Ford stuff is there if you know what you're doing; but it's not as easy as GM. That's part of the reason I'm a Ford guy. SBC's are the fallback option in my mind.

RIDE-RED 250r
01-28-2015, 07:26 PM
Interchangeability with older Ford stuff is there if you know what you're doing; but it's not as easy as GM. That's part of the reason I'm a Ford guy. SBC's are the fallback option in my mind.

I'll take interchangeability that is just plain "there" regardless if I know what I'm doing or not! LOL! :beer

(just a little ribbing man) ;)

My boss is a Ford guy too... He was telling me how you can't slap just any mill in front of just any trans, different frames on the old trucks, even of the same year.. Quite a bit of puzzle piecing for my taste... But I like all the old trucks, don't care what brand as long as they are old. ;)

yamaha225dr
01-28-2015, 09:05 PM
Ford likes to change stuff too dang much, is the problem. I don't plan on building a dragster any time soon, so that doesn't bother me. I'm not brand loyalty by any means but I do prefer Ford over Chevrolet when it comes to trucks.

Trike_crazy
01-28-2015, 10:02 PM
These are the current fords I own now, not including my 1985 crown victoria ltd and my 76 F250 highboy thats in pieces. The last 2 pictures are my of my current project. Its a 79 F150 that ive owned for about 11 years that Im going to do a crown vic front suspension swap and lincoln mark 8 irs. I'm also going to try to use the engine and transmission along with the ecu and harness. I picked up the 03 crown vic for $575 RUNNING! And don't give me too much hassle for wanting to turn a 4x4 into a 2x4. I already own the truck and the frame is a better starting point then a 2wd because of the ttb cross member. Sure the 4x4 has a front cross member but it should be far enough forward to not interfere with the crown vic cross member.

RIDE-RED 250r
01-29-2015, 08:10 AM
Just like our trikes!! Bring another old timer back to life! :beer

slashfan7964
01-29-2015, 06:11 PM
Ford likes to change stuff too dang much, is the problem. I don't plan on building a dragster any time soon, so that doesn't bother me. I'm not brand loyalty by any means but I do prefer Ford over Chevrolet when it comes to trucks.

Yeah that's the big thing. Ford changed stuff a LOT, but trying to better themselves over it. Something that comes with growing up with the brand I guess. Never bothered me.

I love 70s trucks!

Chopsaw
01-29-2015, 10:32 PM
looking at doing another project like a Mitsubishi starion/Chrysler conquest with an LS, new 5.0 or turbo v6 swap

there's 2 car names I haven't heard in a long time . The Conquest tsi was freakin sexy and fast from stock . Way back before we had kids , my wife had a conquest Technica .
No flared fenders like the TSI , 2.8 4 cyl turbo automatic . More of a luxury version , but that thing had some ass . Did well over 140 mph and handled like a dream .
Like your passion for the old fords . I've had some over the years , '68 Cobra Torino , '66 GT 2+2 , '67 Cougar with a 1970 Mach one engine . My favorite was a 70 Galaxy 500 the was set up like the 71/72 LTD in the Burt Renolds movie White lightning . 4 doors and all turned a low 13 1/4 mile . What a fun car .

6spdls1z28
02-01-2015, 09:35 PM
I'm between two brands. I've had my share of modular mustangs ill stick to pushrods ls and old pushrod Ford's.