PDA

View Full Version : Looking for 86 Tecate Air box to carb boot

Sharky 74
01-27-2015, 04:49 AM
As the title states, looking for the boot that attaches the carb to the air box and a filter, oh and a Gas cap

Or a recommendation for a pod filter that fits and eliminates the air box. I have had this bike about 18 years and after numerous times removing the boot it dried and cracked and now is junk.

I was looking at the K&N RU-2780 and think it will fit ok unless someone has a better suggestion. I do know that a 4" tall filter is about 1/2" too long and hits the shock. 38mm Mikuni I.D. Is 2 7/16" or 62mm.

Not having much luck on Ebay lately and not sure if other years fit on the stock box.

Any help would be great. Thanks

aramid
01-27-2015, 05:35 AM
you could try here, they show they can get it or they have it but i wouldn't count on it.

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/kawasaki/KP-14073-1237.html

nd4speed
01-27-2015, 12:04 PM
you could try here, they show they can get it or they have it but i wouldn't count on it.

Many parts websites list not available long gone discontinued parts and let you order and pay for them just to turn around and tell you they no longer are available. If you think you can still order all the parts from partzilla then you should. But advising people to order long discontinued parts just to waste their time is not really going to help anyone.

nd4speed
01-27-2015, 12:09 PM
UNI POD filters and K&N come in many different sizes and shapes. Some are even angled and that may help with it hitting the shock using the straight tecate carb boot.

Most of us who run POD filters have changed our carb boot to KX250/500 to angle the carb and point it away from the shock.

I have an air box that is all beat up, I will check the condition of the boot.

https://www.google.com/search?q=uni+pod+filter&biw=1024&bih=610&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=Q7jHVLzlFYqdNsPFgdgC&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg#tbm=isch&q=uni+pod+filter

aramid
01-27-2015, 03:42 PM
Many parts websites list not available long gone discontinued parts and let you order and pay for them just to turn around and tell you they no longer are available. If you think you can still order all the parts from partzilla then you should. But advising people to order long discontinued parts just to waste their time is not really going to help anyone.

i was simply trying to help, imo, my post definitely does not suggest that partzilla definitely has the parts, and to the contrary, it sort of suggests they might not even though they say they do . . i have also gotten parts from partzilla before but i have no idea if they stock them or not . . i certainly would not pay for a part before knowing if it was in stock anyway and would suggest to others that they verify if a part is in stock from these types of online vendors before paying for it.

cmsnl.com has the discontinued parts they advertise in stock and they are by far the biggest stocking dealer of oem discontinued parts, and not a lot of people ever heard of them, but they do not carry tecate parts.

if you know that partzilla does not stock discontinued parts and has no access to them then just tell me and i will gladly stop suggesting them to others, easy deal.

nd4speed
01-28-2015, 01:22 AM
I have just read a lot of threads where people try to order right hand tecate shrouds or whatever just to come back and say they got their money refunded because the parts did not exist. I have personally had it happen on other websites. Order a bunch of stuff to get free shipping only to find out they can supply only a part or two then charge you shipping.

I see partzilla removes obsolete parts, havent ordered from them in years so I have no idea what they have or can get, but neither do you. By all means if the original poster of this thread can get a brand new boot from partzilla then he should, and not some used one from me or someone else.

Sharky 74
01-28-2015, 03:47 AM
Partzilla is kind of like a broker site that works through several businesses and usually as mentioned, sells parts they don't have. I don't expect to find a new 29 yr old part sitting on a shelf. I was just wondering if any members had one kicking around or knew of a similar motorcycle one that may work.

If anyone has one let me know. I bought a K&N today from Summit Racing and will see how it fits when it shows up. I also found a gas cap on ebay.

aramid
01-28-2015, 04:10 PM
I have just read a lot of threads where people try to order right hand tecate shrouds or whatever just to come back and say they got their money refunded because the parts did not exist. I have personally had it happen on other websites. Order a bunch of stuff to get free shipping only to find out they can supply only a part or two then charge you shipping.

I see partzilla removes obsolete parts, havent ordered from them in years so I have no idea what they have or can get, but neither do you. By all means if the original poster of this thread can get a brand new boot from partzilla then he should, and not some used one from me or someone else.As I mentioned, I have suppliers physically check inventory first before I order so I do not have this particular problem . . If an online site will not do that or has no direct contact info, I simply don’t buy from them.

As far as you saying that I do not know what a particular site actually has in stock, you are correct, and this is what I clearly implied in my first, and although I wish I had the time to verify for an op if a site has a part in stock, I am rarely able to do so, therefore, it is up to the op to contact the site on their own to do this . . After all, they are the ones looking for a part.

aramid
01-28-2015, 04:20 PM
Partzilla is kind of like a broker site that works through several businesses and usually as mentioned, sells parts they don't have. I don't expect to find a new 29 yr old part sitting on a shelf.If you read my previous posts, you will see that there are places that do in fact have not only 29 year old parts in sitting on a shelf but also parts that are up to 40 years old.

I was curious about just exactly what partzilla.com is so I did some research online, plus I simply called them on their toll free line and this is what I found out.

Partzilla.com is definitely not a parts broker for several dealers . . It is simply the online web page for a licensed retail motorcycle, atv and watercraft dealership that carries honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki Yamaha and Polaris . . The dealerships name is Powersports Plus located at 3006 Kensington Court, Albany Georgia . . Dealership phone 229-432-2025.

This dealership does buy outs of old inventory from other shops and has a separate warehouse that contains a parts inventory of around 8 million dollars which claims to sell parts for less than dealer retail.

In addition to non discontinued parts, this inventory does include discontinued parts they had originally purchased from the mfg’s for their regular inventory that they never sold plus discontinued parts they acquired from buyouts of other dealers.

They continue to do buyouts whenever possible, therefore, even if they no longer have a discontinued part, it is possible that they may have it again in the future, although this is a remote possibility.

Their online parts system is updated every 6 months to 1 year at the most . . This obviously means that they may no longer have a part they list, however, they have a toll free number that you can call and talk to a real person within around 10 seconds that has an up to date list of parts that they can instantly check.

They will also physically look in the parts box to see if the part is actually there before you give them a penny if you simply email the list of parts you want checked . . this process typically takes 24 hours.

Partzill.com phone 877-473-4595
Call for email address.