PDA

View Full Version : Trike drive chain problem

shdtreemechanic
01-31-2015, 09:44 PM
I just adjusted my drive chain on my 200s today when I rolled the axle to inspect the tension the chain would tighten and get loose as it rolled. It wouldn't get so loose that it would hurt but it got loose and as I continued to roll the axle the chain would tighten up again! There is nothing bent or out of wack on the back of it except the rear sprocket walks about an 1/8 of an inch like its warped or bent. I need all the help I can get on this one. as always thanks in advance, Jesse

Ragar
01-31-2015, 10:02 PM
Sounds like the chain is toast.
Has worn out the rollers in the loose spots.

shdtreemechanic
01-31-2015, 10:24 PM
You think that's what it is? I know the sprocket slightly warped doesn't help it, That may be what wore the chain out. Thannks for the reply

Ragar
01-31-2015, 10:51 PM
The sprocket wont help it, but sounds just like a worn out chain.
id take care of both.

Samjp22
02-01-2015, 12:58 AM
How long are you riding it for before it comes loose again? If only like half hour it's not your cabin or sprockets. Are you sure you're carrier is not just rolling forward? Tightened up enough?

shdtreemechanic
02-01-2015, 01:22 AM
How long are you riding it for before it comes loose again? If only like half hour it's not your cabin or sprockets. Are you sure you're carrier is not just rolling forward? Tightened up enough?

I have only rode like a Half an hour cause ive been working out some other kinks but it did good the chain was just a little slacked but it didnt come off, i noticed this when i tightened the chain. Could i just loosen the chain up a bit and use like it is? I know all chains have slack like this, also the carrier boots are tightened down good so i know they're not loose. Thanks for the replies keep em coming, Jesse

Samjp22
02-01-2015, 03:47 AM
So this is on a 200s, they have an eccentric carrier for the axle and not a chain tensioner? Just trying to picture the chain setup, and all chains should have a little slack in them. Your manual should say how much slack there should be. Like on my 250r when there's a load on it there's supposed to be about 2inches of movement in it

shdtreemechanic
02-01-2015, 10:36 AM
So this is on a 200s, they have an eccentric carrier for the axle and not a chain tensioner? Just trying to picture the chain setup, and all chains should have a little slack in them. Your manual should say how much slack there should be. Like on my 250r when there's a load on it there's supposed to be about 2inches of movement in it

Well it has an adjustment like a motorcycle. You loosen the 4 bolts and the top of the carrier doesnt move the bottom swings back and tightens the chain, i hope this helps and thanks for the replies keep em coming