PDA

View Full Version : 84 honda trx 200 timing marks not lining up right

shdtreemechanic
02-06-2015, 04:44 PM
Ok just like the title says I recently got the 4 wheeler and installed a 84 200es big red engine on this bike they are identical anyway when I went to check the timing when I would roll the recoil around until the T mark was in sight the piston was at the bottom!! I just couldn't wrap my head around this so I timed the motor without the marks and it does run but it spits and pops and wont idle and when you kill it you cant start it back up for nothing. So I have turned to all of you here who actually know what your doing could the flywheel key be sheared causing the timing marks not to line up? Or what else could it be? Anyways sorry for the long post please let me know what is doing this. Jesse

atc007
02-06-2015, 05:02 PM
This takes a little time... The T wlil also line up at the top lol. It will want to roll right past the T. To have perfect control. Pull the recoil off and put a 17 on the crank.Line up the T with the timing marks on the cam right, Dot at top. And you are timed. That simple. adjust the valves to .003-.004 and she is done. Also make s ure everything is free and right with your advancer on your cam for your cdi. And of course adjust the timing chain when you're all done.

shdtreemechanic
02-06-2015, 05:13 PM
This takes a little time... The T wlil also line up at the top lol. It will want to roll right past the T. To have perfect control. Pull the recoil off and put a 17 on the crank.Line up the T with the timing marks on the cam right, Dot at top. And you are timed. That simple. adjust the valves to .003-.004 and she is done. Also make s ure everything is free and right with your advancer on your cam for your cdi. And of course adjust the timing chain when you're all done.

So my flywheel key is not sheared? I timed my 200s and didn't have nearly as much trouble, So this motor times a little different than the 200s? I will give it another try tomorrow then. Thanks for the quick reply

atc007
02-06-2015, 05:28 PM
Only difference is this ones oil bathed. You need a really good light or the oil drained to see the T and F

shdtreemechanic
02-06-2015, 05:38 PM
Only difference is this ones oil bathed. You need a really good light or the oil drained to see the T and F

Well when my piston is at top dead center the T mark is 2 1/2 or 3 inches away from were its supposed to be, and when I roll it over to the T mark the piston is at the bottom of its stroke that's why I think the key might be sheared

Samjp22
02-06-2015, 06:52 PM
pull the flywheel off and see, if its sheared have fun making a custom key. Had to do that on my one 70. Not fun

shdtreemechanic
02-06-2015, 07:19 PM
pull the flywheel off and see, if its sheared have fun making a custom key. Had to do that on my one 70. Not fun

Is it a woodruff key or a plain square key? I can get either one here locally, I know what u mean about making them I use to have to make them for lawnmowers

shdtreemechanic
02-06-2015, 09:18 PM
Any Ideas?

Samjp22
02-06-2015, 10:06 PM
Don't know what a woodruff is... And it shouldn't be square, should be able to buy them from Honda, just if the key sheared off in there there will likely be damage to the crank and flywheel grooves. If that happened you'll have to file them smooth and probably deeper so the key can still grab. Hence why you'd have to make your own key (which should be curved on the bottom and flat on the top). Then if you get it bolted back together might be good to over tourque it just to be on the safer side having a "not correct" key in there or if you want it done right possibly new crank and flywheel if they're mangled pretty bad

shdtreemechanic
02-07-2015, 09:41 AM
Don't know what a woodruff is... And it shouldn't be square, should be able to buy them from Honda, just if the key sheared off in there there will likely be damage to the crank and flywheel grooves. If that happened you'll have to file them smooth and probably deeper so the key can still grab. Hence why you'd have to make your own key (which should be curved on the bottom and flat on the top). Then if you get it bolted back together might be good to over tourque it just to be on the safer side having a "not correct" key in there or if you want it done right possibly new crank and flywheel if they're mangled pretty bad

A woodruff key is the key that looks like a half moon, Anyway ive got to get a flywheel puller before I can take it off, thanks for the replies and keep them coming

Samjp22
02-07-2015, 09:50 AM
oh okay yeah it should be a woodruff