PDA

View Full Version : Dump the 1980 110 and buy the '85 200s?

Kismet
02-06-2015, 04:57 PM
(I had put this in another thread, but reading the rules, I figure it is a different topic. I need some experienced person's wisdom. I don't want to fall into the Grass looks Greener syndrome. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.)

OK, so 1980 110 is being a trooper; starting even down to single digits temperatures once I got the formula down. "Don't touch anything except the pull starter, take your time, and oh, make sure the kill switch is correct." No smoke in exhaust.

Got a front fender for it and a headlight from a 1977 atc90 which is missing the switch. As it stands, a 4.5v Rayovac hand LED handlamp does a nice job for lighting the trail ahead at moderate speeds. I've got it suspended so it doesn't take direct contact bumps, but is held in a stable position.

I haven't pulled the forks forward as yet, but that is not involved, just takes gumption on my part.

Gas tank is ready to go, but the cobbled tank on there works just fine for the time being. I haven't lined it, but once I make sure I've got it leak-proof, I'll probably get the $25 liner stuff. Spring project for me.

The bad part: I'm old and the front end really rattles my bad shoulder. Balloon tires notwithstanding, it is tough on a surgically repaired shoulder.

So now...found a guy who has a 1985 200s in fair shape, with a working headlight, decent looking tires, easy (he says) simple starting, and front end shock absorbers for a little over $500 (and a bit of a drive).

I've got about $400 into the 110 over the years, $200 of which went into the wrench who straightened out the carb issues and some electrical problems last Fall.

What do you think? Money's tight, but those shocks on the 200s are VERY attractive and the tires look better than the ones on the 110 (which has 6 lug-hole wheels and 22x11-8 tires...not found in a couple of web searches.) The 200 has a five speed tranny, as opposed to the 2 stage 4 speed on the 110. I'm most often driving in the lower gears.

But from a meets-my-needs perspective, the 110 is sufficient, and proven.

Then again, seems to me I could get my money out of the 110, and the 5 year newer, more powerful, shock-absorbed trike would ultimately be a cheap upgrade.

Yes? Anything I've forgotten?

Pickup_man
02-06-2015, 06:57 PM
The 200s is a great trike, I've got a 185s engine in mine, which is identical except for the bore, and it starts without choke on the first pull unless it's around 0°, then it needs a few pulls on choke but it still starts easy. The suspension is great to have, especially if you can't take the pounding of a rigid model. I say that if everything checks out on the 200s to go for it. Ya always hate to let a good trike go, but I think you'll be happy with the 200s.

Samjp22
02-06-2015, 07:18 PM
Having both is the better answer lol, the more the merrier

Ghostv2
02-06-2015, 09:04 PM
I have both a 82 110 and a 85 200s. The 110 is a blast. Fun little trike to bump around the trails and explore. It's small enough you'll never have a hard time getting it out of a sticky situation, going down the smaller dirtbike trails, etc. The 200s is more practical for an adult. Nice power and speed, you can actually get it up in the higher gears and turns and no worry about wrecking. I have a rack on mine so I take it camping and such. Parts are more available so that's a big plus. Nice little sporty hardtails but you can also make them a nice little utility bike with the right hondaline parts.

I wouldn't call the 200s a improvement over the 110 because each is a great bike but I would get the 200s if I had to pick one. But like sam said, two is better than one if the wallet is willing.

muthey
02-06-2015, 09:23 PM
before deciding the 110's fate I would definitely take the 200s on a nice trail ride as you may decide the shocks are not enough for your shoulder. I find the 200s shocks stiff and not much different then a solid front fork setup. And they were not seized up either. Also the 22-11-8 tires are not that hard to find, also the 200s uses them as well. unless the owner has changed them to an earlier model 200 hubs and tires where they were 25-12-9. But definitely take it for a trail ride before selling your old trusty 110 as you can buy an adapter and with a little welding and a small amount of grinding can adapt a 200x front end to your 110 which is way better front suspension than the 200s. There is a member by the name of Ol Deuce on here that sells the adapters. I can also sell them from time to time as I make them for him but I prefer to let him sell them as he designed them.

86125m
02-06-2015, 10:14 PM
I know the front shocks on my 200m are a big improvement on both my atc 90 and 125m don't take it the wrong way because if push came to shove I would take my 86 125m over anything because it is my personal favorite. But my 200m is so much more comfortable and has a heck of a lot more power.

Kismet
02-08-2015, 12:17 AM
You folks are great. Thank you. I'm not usually this ignorant, but really never had the need or hunger for a wheeled vehicle in the fields before. And out here in rural America, small motorized vehicles are not the stuff of discussion--like most farm equipment, it's bought, worked to death and replaced. Three wheelers were discarded decades ago. For family dairy farms, even four wheelers are not that common anymore.

I rely on your experience and knowledge, and I am grateful.

Ghostv2
02-08-2015, 01:06 AM
Sadly I was not around in the era of when these were throw away machines so to speak. Where people could get a liquid 250r for $300. Now all of these bikes are coming back in popularity and demanding a premium. I'm still on the hunt for the deals though.

Kismet
02-17-2015, 10:34 PM
Well, thank you again. :)

I brought home a 1984 200M this afternoon. About the same price, but tires were new last summer (rear tires are nubby around the edges and chevron-treads in the center. Mud tread? )Needs a battery, but starts easily with the compression relief valve with the pull rope. Head Light is very dim in the afternoon light. Plastics are fine except for some small radiating cracks on the left rear fender bolt holes. New brake cables on it. Seat cover got munched a bit by family dog, minor foam lost, needs cover.

It was about 8 degrees when I pulled into the yard and the snow in the pasture and valley is 5-6 inches in many places. I took a short jaunt, but had to wrestle it out twice, so I'll wait a bit. It's heavier enough to have me notice the difference between horsing the 110 out of a spot and this 200, maybe 100lbs difference. Tomorrow I'll take a long, meticulous look, although with temps predicted to 4 degrees with a wind chill of -20, I'm not about to spend time on it at the moment.

Tires are 25 inches, and with longer wheelbase and tire width, whole package looks much larger than the 110.

Headlight nacelle is bleached almost white. Seller said it wasn't burning oil, and he was meticulous about changing and measuring use. Shocks travel, but no way as yet to see how good they are. I expect some improvement.

Brakes on the front wheel (!),Solo seat, two-part rear fenders, trunk space of sorts, and all sorts of sophistication compared to the 1980 110. :)

A whole lot of leg room. For the brief time I was on it, seems like a worthy ride. It wants to go faster than I am accustomed to. Just a bit of me would like the 4-speed, two level transmission, but then I'm one of the few who don't want to go fast.

Thanks again, I'll post as I discover things about the 200M and about me on it.

muthey
02-17-2015, 10:50 PM
did you end up keeping the 110 or did you sell it?

Kismet
02-17-2015, 11:33 PM
Just got the 200M today, so the 110 is making friends out in the shed as we speak. If I do sell it, I won't even try until March/April. I'm going to have an inner tube put in the front tire to stop the slow leak. It really is a fun little machine. I'm a complete stranger to the 200M.

Ghostv2
02-17-2015, 11:50 PM
The 200m is a great machine. My pap got one new in 85. I convinced my buddy to buy an 85 with both racks and pretty dang original. It's not a speed performance machine but a good candidate for the trails. I prefer the 200e though. Very similar. I'm fond of the recoil backups these trikes have, it's reliable compared to today's bikes. But having electric start is a nice luxury.

I tried starting my friends 500cc Polaris with a dead battery and a recoil backup and a iffy condition carb. Not fun.

86125m
02-18-2015, 11:23 AM
200m is an amazing bike. Mine actually came out of a junk pile. I was thinking I would use it as a parts machine. At first i didn't even think it would run and couldn't try it because it was missing the carb inlet tube. So one day a few month later i was looking in the tool box and i see the missing carb inlet brand new in the honda bag. So I through that sucker on with one of my extra carbs, put some fresh gas in the tank and amazingly the inside of the tank was perfect. Hooked the electric starter to our boat batter because it was missing the recoil and the old batter was dead as a door knob. And low and behold the thing started and didn't smoke and actually ran good. So I set out to rebuild it. It almost done now I just need to get the tank painted and sort a leaky fork seal. And congrats on finding the bike I would keep the 110 because their versatile little bike.

Kismet
02-18-2015, 04:46 PM

First images on a very cold day. Has a Moose shift rod on it. Previous said it was for shifting when he was doing yard work and didn't want to sit on it to move a few yards--maybe that is true, dunno. Took it out on farm yard and work area, very rough and frozen ground--my initial impression is that it is MUCH easier to control and less likely to want to steer itself.

Ghostv2
02-18-2015, 07:13 PM
That's a very nice front tire. OEM 250es. You could always sell that for some change to swap out the pink headlight. But i would point it up more regardless. Also, why is there holes in the top?

Kismet
02-19-2015, 02:20 PM
Ghostv2? Previous owner said it came with the trike and he had no idea why those holes are in the headlight nacelle.

(I'd like to be able to tell you more, but right now Wisconsin is doing its "I'm going to kill you with cold" thing and it is punishing to explore and examine the bits and pieces.

That's good news on the front tire, the back two are Strykers--which are two-ply with an additional belt to fend off brush punctures (according to a web site).

I'm very grateful to have this site, and you folks who've responded, to attempt to explore the 3 wheeler world and learn the good and the bad.

Thank you all, very much.

:p

86125m
02-19-2015, 05:31 PM
The headlight bucket is not stock its an aftermarket one probably from dr.atv the holes are for putting switches in. That why its pink I've had a few of them and they all discolor after a few months. I would take the moose shifting lever off of it because I had one on my 86 125m and I believe that is what broke the shift lever return spring. But its a very nice bike the fenders are there and intact and have nice color. Oh and it has a 250es big red rack on it.

Kismet
02-21-2015, 06:02 PM
Took your advice and removed the Moose shift rod. Had to bend the foot shift arm back in place a bit, but shifts nicely through the gears, with a little reluctance coming back into neutral. Thank you. I've been riding motorcycles for over 50 years, so the shifting is much more comfortable for me. I'm used to engine braking as intuitive.

Wisconsin had a one-day break from the Siberian Express today and temps went up to 28 degrees. Spent a fair amount of time on the 200M. I'm LOVING this trike! The suspension makes the ride on terrain seem like I'm cushioned, compared to the little rough-rider 110. The ergonomics are suited for an adult, where the 110, even for me, (I'm 5'8") was a bit cramped. The handle-bars are nicely extended for leverage, and the 25"x12" tires really stabilize it on corners, compared to the 110's 22s and 36" axle width. I don't think the 110 could have broken trail in the valley--not with me riding it, anyway. The weight, the tire tread, and the wheel base make a lot of difference.

I spent an hour or so breaking trails in the valley, first chewing my way along the path through the four inches or so of snow, then repeating the route to pound down the snow. With the warmth, the snow was more moist, and the tread of the Strykers on the rear kept it flying.

I'm old, so I didn't think I'd be trying to slide the trike, but by gawd, on slightly wet snow of this depth and at slow speeds, that was a hoot! I'm learning about the 200M, but found myself thinking that I was very glad I'd had the 110 to develop familiarity with the ride. There's a LOT less gymnastic gyrations with the 200, so it's a less muscular ride, and it seems really big, by comparison.

I'll have more questions as things move along, and Siberia leaves the U.S., but Thanks to each and every one of you for your counsel.

RedPig83
02-24-2015, 04:21 PM
Just a suggestion, I wouldn't sell that 110 unless absolutely necessary for financial reasons. I've had seller's remorse for almost every machine I've ever gotten rid of.

Kismet
02-25-2015, 09:01 PM
Snow and cold, cold and snow...I'm loving it, although sometimes I dream of big old ski upfront.

:)

Kismet
03-28-2015, 12:08 AM
Front tire got speared by a broken-off sapling. Took it in for a patch and a tube because even three plugs would not fill the hole.
Next day took it out, front went flat again.

Took it back. Turned out the new tubes for the 25 inch tire have the stem in a different place, and the initial replacement tube had been twisted in to fit the original opening and had its stem sheared off by the opening in the rim. Shop had to drill a hole off towards the edge of the rim.

(They don't see a lot of 3 wheelers)

Lotta driving. We'll see. Already spotted a little wheel wobble on the farm road.

86125m
03-28-2015, 11:34 AM
It happens I went through hell with my 200m my front rim was in pretty good shape but the rim bead had a couple dent in it. When I took it too the tire shop they said it would go tubeless. So I let them put it on and after months of going back to the tire shop I got them to put a tube in it and they said it should have never been put on without a tube. I was pretty mad. But now the tire leaks no more.

Kismet
03-28-2015, 11:01 PM
I expect I'll have to have the wheel balanced, or more likely, new bearings put in. It's 30 years old and deserves it Don't know that I would go to the expense of straightening the steering head.

Dunno.

Kismet
04-01-2015, 12:21 PM

Put the cleaned out tank on the 110. I have a 1977 headlight, but I'm happy with the occasional Ray o Vac light.

I put it on the market for what I have in it. At my age, not likely to seek out the solid fork ride when I have the 200M, but I swear, you could pull stumps out with this thing and lift it up on a truck!

Wish me luck. I'm not asking much, but things linger on Craig's.

Kismet
04-20-2015, 11:30 AM
Well, I just waved good-bye to the 110. :(

Farmer couple with two teen-age kids picked it up the morning after they called to see if it was still listed. Insisted on selling to adults...just two much liability to sell to younger people.

I'll miss it a bit, but senior citizens shouldn't be allowed to ride 110s, our bones are too brittle. :D

Hope they have as much fun with it as I did.