PDA

View Full Version : Need help translating Craigslist?

Six Stroke
02-07-2015, 01:52 PM
Here's a handy guide!

http://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/how-to-translate-motorcycle-ads?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_term=how-to-translate-motorcycle-ads&utm_content=stream&utm_campaign=boosted-posts

83ATC185
02-09-2015, 04:16 PM
lol i also love the "Ran great before__________"

I've even seen "Ran great before a rod started knocking, get that fixed and you'll have a solid reliable vehicle"

I've had much better luck just through friends and word of mouth than i ever have on Craigslist.

oldskool83
02-09-2015, 04:32 PM
Craigslist has been getting worse because its young kid posting bikes they bought off someone else with problems, already don't know the correct year or even make of the bike and then they have no clue what's wrong with it. Kids spend good money on junk. The adults are cheap and 50% of times no one will show up at a certain day or time to your place. Because of all this I stop parting bikes on CL because it is too much of a hassle. If a machine is over 20 years old good luck having some kid even know if his KDX200 is a 1990 vs a 2000 he lists it as. And you'd think with Google these days the people would be able to Google a photo of their machine and figure out WTF it is.

Even better is so no pics....well why not because I just bought a 1992 RM250 off a AMISH kid with a freaking cell phone with a camera!!!!!!!!!!!!

90nut
02-10-2015, 01:29 AM
CL sucks for the most part. Mostly broke jokes looking for a lot for little. And the Amish have the most techno gadgetry of us all. Don't let their zipperless clothing and buggies fool ya.

Six Stroke
02-11-2015, 12:59 AM
Yeah, when I bought by BW a few years ago it was a basketcase that "had everything there," except for half the engine and some vital swingarm parts. Oh well, lesson learned.

tripledog
02-11-2015, 06:17 PM
"Almost mint" means the item for sale is missing parts and has had the snot pounded out of it...

http://elmira.craigslist.org/mcy/4886253841.html

90nut
02-11-2015, 09:39 PM
Almost mint is right up there with people's idea of "original". you can't call it original if you say it's restored either. One could say, restored to original condition. They are only original once.

Six Stroke
02-12-2015, 06:16 PM
No no, see, the SR250 came from the factory missing the side covers, badges, tail light, gauge cluster stuff, and fork dust seals, and it was equipped with dirt tires, dirt bike bars, a rusty chain, and flat black rattle-can paint. That's what made the Exciter exciting, right?

83ATC185
02-13-2015, 10:16 AM
Almost mint is right up there with people's idea of "original". you can't call it original if you say it's restored either. One could say, restored to original condition. They are only original once.

And people say, for example, "All original, 1973 Ford Thunderbird with 88,000 original miles (what does that phrase even mean?), original interior, engine and transmission", and its been sitting in the edge of the woods for years with all the glass knocked out of it and the bottom half of it is missing where its been sitting on the ground.

By reading craigslist ads, you would think that half of the world population is mechanics. Every other car on there would make a great car for a mechanic.

oldskool83
02-13-2015, 12:04 PM
I flag adds when I see dumb or incorrect information. the best was this week was a local guy who is ripping people off selling atvs. 2000 300ex with paper work but yet it had 1987 250x front hubs. I emailed him and he took it down. its back up so I, flaging it again.