PDA

View Full Version : I know it's not a 3 wheeler but it's still Honda! Shift probs! Need help!!!

hheywire
02-08-2015, 11:04 PM
OK so I'm finally getting to my shifting problem on my 98 foreman 400. It would only go from 3rd 4th and 5th and back down to 3rd, will not shift down to 2nd, 1st, neutral, and reverse. I took off the front clutches plate and am watching how it shifts. Well I watch the drum turn only till when its stops at 3rd. So I stuck a wrench on the shift drum bolt and turned it back and forth and got it to go through all gears flawlessly with a socket wrench R N 1 2 3 4 5 and 5 4 3 2 1 N. Now when I shift it with the actual shift lever and not with the socket wrench it will shift from R N 1 2 and no farther. But if I use the socket wrench I can go through the rest of the gears. I'm praying so hard that its not the forks, but in theory if I'm able to turn the drum by hand and go through all gears the forks are fine right? So could it be the shifter plate? But if it's the shifter plate wouldn't it not shift at all or only shift in on direction? First thing I checked was to see if the drum bolt was loose but it's tight. I'm loosing my mind over this one and need some advice! Anyone please help!