PDA

View Full Version : 1985 Honda 125m Engine Not Starting Just Spinning

Bashula
02-11-2015, 09:52 PM
I have a 1985 Honda 125m 3 Wheeler and I'm having trouble starting it. It sat outside for about 3-4 years and I tried running it with fresh gas of course. But I didn't have a key for it so I Unhooked the key and the neutral is not on Nether is the head light. Whatever I do it won't turn over I cleaned the carb and got a battery. It seems like no power is getting to anywhere I checked the fuse near the solenoid and it wasn't blown So i'm at a loss at what is wrong with it. I was thinking the spark plug but there is no power anywhere. I have to turn it on using the solenoid. Any help will be appreciated.:wondering I think it has to do something with the cdi box?

Thanks Bryan

T-Sox
02-12-2015, 02:36 PM
If it sat outside that long, the Carb & fuel system is gonna need cleaned. BUT that won't help with your major problem which is no power.

Have you tried pull starting it? Does the Neutral light or head light come on slightly when pulling it over by hand? These are easy ways to check if the stator is making power.

I would work on getting spark at the plug with the pull starter and then worry about the electric start. I had a 125m that wouldn't start at all with the start button but would fire first pull every time with the pull start.

If you don't get spark by hand, a couple things it could be; Bad stator, Bad CDI, Bad ground, Bad coil, Bad kill switch, Bad spark plug or a Problem with the wiring.

Good luck!

Bashula
02-12-2015, 06:33 PM
The pull starter is shot the spring on it is old and rusted that is why I use the electric start. It just seems like the whole thing where the key is unpowered like it's not getting past the fuse by the solenoid. I pulled out the cdi a little dirty but I'm not sure if it is bad. Is there like a way to test it? I asked the previous owner and she said the it started before. I checked the fuse in the back but it is ok. I'm down to a Bad stator, CDI, or kill switch Or just a problem with the wiring in general.

Thanks, Bryan

danbur55
02-12-2015, 07:35 PM
Without key switch it wont get power to electrics. Either get a switch or wiring diagram to know which wires to jumper leads together switch sends power to lights starter and such

Bashula
02-12-2015, 10:11 PM
I've tried a switch and no luck it seems like no power is getting to that to make a connection to start the engine.

Thanks, Bryan

Bashula
02-13-2015, 02:46 PM
I've found a wiring diagram for the 3 wheeler and everything routes back to the cdi like the sator and the spark plug. I've lookup a cdi and there expensive is there like any way to fix it?

Thanks, Bryan

Jason125m
02-13-2015, 11:42 PM
There is a black wire by the steering neck. Unplug that wire, and the keyswitch is bypassed. Electric start will not work. It will start with the pullstart that way. In your case, your pullstart is broken. Wrap a rope around the pullstart cage, it will start.. Remove your spark plug, ground it to the engine, and pull it over to check if you have spark...

You can also use booster cables and put the negative on the frame, and touch the positive to the starter nut.

Jmoozy27
02-14-2015, 01:10 AM
If the ign switch isn't present then unplug it. Mine is missing and the left hand on off switch still works. You can put it in third gear and push it or pull it with something and that should make it pop off. You should definitely get a battery, ignition switch, and fix the recoil starter if you plan on riding the machine on a regular basis.

Bashula
02-14-2015, 04:36 PM
OK, thanks ill have to try that. The spark plug the black thing that hooks into it at the top there are two wires that I tested with a multimeter I set it to 200 AC and it peaked around 1.03 to 0 it stayed around 0.50 is that in the right ballpark for it to work? If it's not I think it's the stator. If it's in the right ballpark it`s the black thing or more likely the spark plug.

Thanks, Bryan

Degoragon
03-02-2015, 01:51 PM
Ive read somewhere that a CDI for a Chinese four wheeler will work with a little modding to the plugin, and you have to find a different way to mount it. It was shown done on a 200S.