PDA

View Full Version : 85 tri-moto 225 low compression

spacecrazy187
02-12-2015, 02:19 AM
Hey guys I just picked up a 1985 tri-moto 225 its not to bad for 150.0 but it has low compression and the guy said it needed rings. easy fix right? well I got it home cleaned carb petcock and cleaned tank. had very nasty gas and gunk in the carb.. I put some sea foam in the oil and gas and after many minutes of cranking with a new battery finally got it to fire. but will not idle. ran it real hard and the more I run it the better it seems to run. now it will idle by itself. What I don't understand is it does not smoke.... could it be the valves need to be adjusted? reason for such low compression? any help would be awesome !!

prometheus
02-12-2015, 04:10 AM
I would always double check what someone else tells you. Check compression for yourself. Let us know what it is and we can go from there determining rings, valves, or head gasket.

T-Sox
02-12-2015, 02:53 PM
I would always double check what someone else tells you. Check compression for yourself. Let us know what it is and we can go from there determining rings, valves, or head gasket.

+1

Check it yourself. It could have low compression and not smoke, or smoke and have good compression. They don't have as much to do with on another as you'd think.

spacecrazy187
02-12-2015, 03:07 PM
It has new tires and seems to be in good shape so I was not really worried at 150.00 I checked compression and my guage is off but I'm around 50psi. And it was lower before I got it running around 35. It seems to have lots of power

NeverLift
02-12-2015, 03:34 PM
It has new tires and seems to be in good shape so I was not really worried at 150.00 I checked compression and my guage is off but I'm around 50psi. And it was lower before I got it running around 35. It seems to have lots of power

When your doing a compression test make sure you hold the throttle fully open.

spacecrazy187
02-12-2015, 03:55 PM
When your doing a compression test make sure you hold the throttle fully open.

Yes I did that also put some oil in the cylinder that made it spike a little but not much. Mabey 5psi

T-Sox
02-12-2015, 04:16 PM
Adjust the valves and do another compression test.

spacecrazy187
02-12-2015, 04:18 PM
Yeah I'll give that a try after work and see what happens.

spacecrazy187
02-13-2015, 01:44 PM
The valve clearance was fine but noticed when I peek at the valves through the spark plug hole the intake valve had pitting on it possibly from corrosionbut exhaust valve looks good though

T-Sox
02-13-2015, 02:05 PM
Sounds like it sat for a while to me.

If it were mine, I'd run it for a while and see if it continues to get better. I'd keep running the Seafoam in it too. It could be that is cleaning up the corrosion on the valve as it runs which would explain why it got better over time.

I had a Suzuki quad once that sat out for a long time and had the same thing. I ran Seafoam through it for a while and ran it hard. After about 2 months it ran like new again.

If it's heavily pitted, It may need a valve job.

spacecrazy187
02-13-2015, 02:34 PM
Ya it's pretty bad. I have the stuff to re seat the valve also the cylinder wall looks a bit rusted but not bad enough to let oil past