PDA

View Full Version : 84 250r wont start??

Fatboypc
02-16-2015, 07:27 PM
So I picked up this 84 250r last night. Its in ok shape missing a few things but for the most part a workable trike. Anyway I get it home and get it to run after it shits in a warm shop for a bit. Nest morning I head out to the shop and check it over to see what parts are missing blah blah. Long story short I fire it up let it warm and push it outside to take a spin. Runs great considering the cold weather. I notice it has a high idle so make the adjustment on the side of the carb and nothing no mater what I do it does not change the idle. so I get to looking more into it and the cable at the top of the carb is not set down into place. Get that taken care of now my idle is way to low wont even stay running. So I adjust again cant get it to change at all. So I bring it in and look over every thing and I take the top of the carb off to inspect and adjust the cable as it should be. Put it all back together and fire the bike up and it goes to about 1/2 throttle rev like a SOB. SO of course I go to kill it and the switch does not work. So I check it and it dies out BUT while this is all going on it is power white smoke out till it finally dies and it looks like snoop and his friends just left my shop.:cool:. Now it will not start. I changed the plug I have spark. I can shoot it with starting fluid and it kinda tries. Any ideas? Did it smoke its self when it went High idle?

fieldy
02-18-2015, 12:25 AM
Newbie opinion...has the machine been running in the last year? I would disassemble and clean the carb to the fuel cap, especially if it hasnt run latley. Check for air leaks between the carb and cylinder. Sometimes i think about the gasket at the top of the carb sealing? Make sure throttle cable is moving freely in itself and snapping back to closed. Sounds like you did that. My rm throttle cable kinda stuck on me when i started it up after storage, surprised me, delayed shutdown, I probably need a new cable.
There could just be junk in the pilot jet. I hope it turns out to be a temporary problem and maybe not a big deal.
How long did it idle high? Was the plug wet? What was the plug color? Excessive smoke can be a few things, not all of them serious.
I have two older 2 strokes to get running soon and a leak down test is where I gotta start. I am going to put tether kill switches on all my 250$. My thought is this is a total electrical stop. Hope she runs soon for ya.

crev
02-18-2015, 09:47 PM
Crank seals Bad ?

Samjp22
02-18-2015, 11:37 PM
This seems to be happening quite a bit lately. It sounds like to me you "dieseled" your motor because of an air leak. This happens when you've got a leak around your reed cage or your intake boot between your cylinder and carb has a crack in it. The carb may have slightly moved in the boot allowing air to enter or while you were taking the carb apart opened up a small crack in the intake boot. The motor now runs like a diesel not needing a spark plug because it's sucking in air and a little bit of fuel making it super lean and igniting just from compression making it rev like crazy until it runs outta fuel. IMO this is what happened and if I were you I'd check your boot for cracks and also do a compression check, if low compression that high lean rev might've smoked your rings