PDA

View Full Version : I just got myself a '85 250R three wheeler!

HamadUP
02-19-2015, 05:52 PM
Hi guys,

I'm 43 years young and I just got myself a Honda ATC-250R ('85 model), I used to have a lot of dirt bikes and trikes when I was a teenager in early 80s (I used to have the exact same trike and I LOVED it!).

Anyway, I got this nice trike from a lady which her husband passed away and left here that trike, it looks nice (as you see in the pic) and it seems complete. I drained all the old gas out and put in a fresh gallon of gas along a Yamalube 2 stroke oil (25:1), I also poured a little 2 stroke oil inside the cylinder and primed it a few times with the plug out. When I tried to start it, well, it didn't start, not even sensing anything that made me believe it wants to start!, I removed the plug again and connected it outside the cylinder while grounded and tried to put in gear while pushing it and it seems the spark is very weak, I need to push it real hard and make the engine turn fast to get that weak spark, so no way I got any spark while kick-starting it. I used a different plug with the same result. To this point and I'm stuck, what do you think I should start with first? do I have a bad stator/generator (what ever they call it)? or a bad ignition box?

I've been working with cars for many years and I got a full size garage with full of tools, so I can do any mechanical/electrical work, I'm just new to working with these bikes.

Thanks in advamce :D

Hamad

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r101/hamadup/atc250r_zpsdcbc09d5.jpg